Kayak Tofino/Ukee Fishing

I've done allot of freshwater fishing from my kayak but would like to try my hand in the Ukee or Tofino area the 2nd week in July for a few days for salmon and cod. Any input into where i can get away from the big surf to get in some calm water kayak trolling in the area that doesn't require a super long haul from the townsites?

Should be an adventure i've fished the north island lots with the big boat but this engineless game is somewhat new to me.....Thanks....and don't wake me!
haha

Go here and play around and insert marine chart 3673.

http://pacgis01.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Mapster30/#/SilverMapster

Tofino is closer to the protected waters fishing for kayakers. The town gouges tourists more than Ukee for parking and probably launching.
There is a shallow shoal not too far from Tofino that looks like a smiley face where you should be able to troll up some cohoes from a kayak.
125* 56'56"
49* 09'40"

Black rockfish abound near the rocks closer to the open water.

My one ocean kayak trip I mostly put out a Zinger and trolled or stopped and jigged. Caught lots of the above.

Great Info Tubber ...... I was thinking Tofino would be a little more sheltered looking at maps..... thanks a ton!

I, too, will do some yak fishing around Tofino this year.

What kind of yak are you using? If you expect to get into larger whitecaps, a SOT would be best because getting swamped in a SIK is hard to recover from. With a SOT, you can bail it out. SIK's usually just go nose down.

But, if using a SIK, you can buy airbags that will fit into the bow and stern. That will increase bouyancy for bailing.

I use a fully equipped SIK- three rod holders, fish finder, under shelve tackle storage, interior as well as bow and stern lights, strobing trouble trouble lights and VHF.

Also, a word of caution: do not use automatically inflatable PFD's. In the event you get enough water on the sensor, it will poof out when you don't want it to. A manual inflatable is best. I use automatics on boats, but when I am fishing from my jetski or yak, I use manual. I also have two automatics stowed in the fore and aft sections of the yak for space savings and additional bouyancy.

I've done allot of freshwater fishing from my kayak but would like to try my hand in the Ukee or Tofino area the 2nd week in July for a few days for salmon and cod. Any input into where i can get away from the big surf to get in some calm water kayak trolling in the area that doesn't require a super long haul from the townsites?

Should be an adventure i've fished the north island lots with the big boat but this engineless game is somewhat new to me.....Thanks....and don't wake me!
haha

In front of Tonquin beach as well as Moser Pt, on the se corner of Vargas Island are both great places to kayak fish nearby but if you're ambitious Catface bar, n of town is a great place to fish but you'd be looking at an hour paddle

I paddle quite a bit out of Tofino and Ucluelet so will add my two-cents.

On the Tofino end, if you're not familiar with paddling Clayoquot Sound I strongly suggest stopping in at Tofino Sea Kayaking's shop for a chat. A ton of water floods and ebbs into and out of Clayoquot Sound through some very narrow passages, making for some strong currents at times. These currents are a boon if you've planned accordingly to ride with them, but are a ***** to fight if you haven't planned. These same areas can be great for fishing. Also on the Tofino end don't forget about the Grice Bay boat launch - free parking and protected waters for paddling. There are some fishing spots within paddling distance of Grice Bay and the crabbing on the edges of those tidal flats can be outstanding. Can't recall specific spots off the top of my head but the FishNMaps map of the area has a number and a chat with some locals once in the area will point you in the right direction (such as what Fishtofino provided above).

On the Ukee end you have a couple of options. First, the Harbour mouth to Beg Island, on to the Food Islets and down towards Salmon Beach is all an easy paddle, if not too windy, from Ukee and often holds chinook and coho if there's bait around. If it's really nice the crossing from the Food Islets to Chrow Island is a short paddle and that's another good place to get a spring. Jigging in the bay past Beg Island I've caught springs as big as 26lbs, legal lings and every variety of rockfish. You do have to be careful in this area though as LOTS of sport boats will be zipping in and out of the harbour so the mix of swell once out of the harbour and boat wakes from all angles can be a hazard when paddling that area. Second option out of Ukee is to catch a ride with one of the many water taxis that transfer paddlers out to the Broken Group. Not only is the Broken Group paddling Nirvana but you also have access to the go to spots on the south side like Cree, Meares, Gibraltar, Pinnacle, Swale, etc. Make sure you're out of the Rockfish Conservation Area but there's no shortage of trolling and jigging spots outside of it on the edges of the Broken Group.

You should have a great time. 4 coho per day wild or marked on the inside already so you should be able to get into some salmon!

Ukee

Excellent Excellent info, much more than i had hoped for thanks Guys, I'm quite interested in taking the water taxi out to the broken group sounds like a great option i'll have to find an operator and do this for a day for sure, good tip on the narrows in Tofino looking over charts it does look like there's allot of small passages...

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent Excellent info, much more than i had hoped for thanks Guys, I'm quite interested in taking the water taxi out to the broken group sounds like a great option i'll have to find an operator and do this for a day for sure, good tip on the narrows in Tofino looking over charts it does look like there's allot of small passages...

Remember that the Broken Group is closed to all fin fishing!
Dave

Back