Kayak fishing Tofino/Ukee end of April

TightLines28

Looking for some advice, coming out to Ucluelet from Colorado at the end of the month and I'll be bringing my inflatable kayak. The kayak is a 12ft self bailing SOT with a sonar set up. I have never been in this area and would like to get out and add some new species to my list, which shouldn't be hard because I have never fished saltwater on the west coast before. I would much appreciate some pointers on what I should be targeting and some sheltered spots that would be good for the kayak, I'm sure a lot of this is weather dependent but any pointers would be appreciated.

The inlet in Ukee just keep paddling until you don't feel comfortable anymore/start to feel the swell.

Then pretty much anything fished along the Kelp beds and Trout or Bass tackle is fine lots of freshwater people do well fishing small dark whatevers for Rockfish and maybe a Lingcod; if that doesn't work switch to larger flashier lures.

Jigs like the Mac Deep are great all-purpose jigs (as are Buzzbombs and Zzingers). They'll catch bottom fish as well as salmon. Just be careful with the rockfish as they've been known to puncture inflatables. Don't ask how I know that... :rolleyes:

The method for rockfish and lingcod is typically to find a pinnacle or drop off and jig just off the bottom while drifting toward deeper water. I'm not sure how to target salmon in that area, but they'll be open. It would be worth talking to someone local for current reports.

Last edited:
If you're ok with a 40 minute drive from Ukee you could launch at Secret Beach (there's a fee) and I'm sure you'd do well around the south side of Stopper islands and Larkin island....lots of good looking structure there for rockfish and Ling. Short paddle and deep inside Barkley Sound should be pretty protected. Wind and chop typically kick up in the afternoon. You'll definitely knock off a bunch of new species.

I often fish from kayak near Forbes island a little further south....just haven't gotten around to trying out Stopper islands. To me they look good. It will be fun for sure!

I wouldn’t in April. I’ve kayaked to hot springs cove out of Tofino in summer and been caught out in wind I thought I could handle and was fortunate to survive with just a broken paddle and a mouthful of sand. I was close to getting smashed into rocks.

If the weather is flat calm, no fog, rain, and you are dressed in bright colours/floater suit or dry suit with an air horn and handheld radio with gps/dcs, then I might poke out from Mackenzie beach to the island out front. Not the tidal one, the one that shows on Navionics. Problem is it isn’t very deep.

If I was a strong paddler and all above was true I might go across to Tonquin Island. If I was still feeling amazingly strong and confident in the weather I would poke out on the outside of Tonquin just south of Wickinish Island to where it gets deeper. I’d stay well away from the reef/rocks and try to find some pinnacles for ling cod.

Did you read about the forum member and his two buddies who almost died last weekend when their boat flipped in Ukulet?

I’d join some Ukee and Tofino Facebook groups and try to find a local to paddle and go out with. If I’m in Tofino and I’m the only surfer/paddle boarder on the water/going out it is because it’s dangerous, same goes for kayaking I bet.

Some “easy” paddling and crabbing out of Tofino harbour but you have to know the current / tide and go in the inlet and be aware of boat traffic. It isn’t easy at all but if you know when the current will change and where the mud flats are you can have fun in fast currents!

I'd stay away from open ocean with a inflatable. Unless you've got a ton doing it already. Check out Facebook for Vancouver island kayak anglers. There's a few groups there with lots of people and info for fishing on our islands

Back