kayak fishing

Did you have to cut the rigger line, or did it snap? I'd be paranoid of getting hung up in a Kayak or canoe...

I've heard that from a few people, but I don't really see what the concern is. At worst, it's a temporary anchor until you free it up or cut the cable / line. You can always let more cable out to give you a bit of slack to work on it, if you're not able to free it...

That sucks about the downrigger ball! Last winter I made myself a custom, ~4lb ultra-thin pancake weight by melting down all sorts of chunks of scrap lead and shaping it down with files. Took forever and had to be super careful about fumes and clean-up but the result was excellent. Then I went and lost it when the braided line I was using snapped a couple of feet up from the ball, just as I was letting it down. I'm still sore about it. I've since switched back to cable.

In other news, the wife and I were out sea kayaking for a couple of weeks from Kyuquot, just south of the Brooks Peninsula (drive up past Sayward and Woss, way up towards the north end of the island, then bounce along 75km of logging roads before paddling the last 25km out to the exposted coast). Landed our 3 biggest fish so far, and from a sea kayak. Couple of nice 15+ lb springs, an 11 lb halibut and a 52+ lb halibut! While trying to weigh the big hali, I couldn't lift it high enough for the tail to clear the beach so it weighed 52 lbs with the tail still dragging! May have been closer to 55-60, but we'll stick with 52 as a minimum. Hoping for some more fish like those on this side of the island, but no luck so far.

That's an awesome success story! Do you care to share any information on your fishing techniques from the kayak...especially for the halibut? I'm still learning and would love to try for halibut near home...I understand some people are trying shallow right now in the Sooke area (trailer park?)...

Continued success!

I drove out to Otter Point today at midday but the fog was still thick so I went back to Becher Bay and launched there. I fished Aldridge Point, turning at the edge of the fog bank back past Aldridge and Kreyke Point. No love and managed to lose a downrigger ball too! Good to get out though, and there was enough wind to push me around so I didn't have to peddle the whole time.
T2

Sucks about the DR ball! We'll have to coordinate and get out again soon...I've been heading out a couple of times a week when the tides look OK...just sorting out some battery problems right now.

That's an awesome success story! Do you care to share any information on your fishing techniques from the kayak...especially for the halibut?

Ha ha - I'd love to, if I had any tips to share! The area we were camped at was on the exposed west coast of the island, but there was a long ridge of rocks, many protruding from the surface, about 2 miles out from shore. Beyond that, the bottom quickly dropped off to 300+ feet. But between us and the rocks, the maximum depth was only about 70-90 feet, for about 10+ km up and down the coast. So, I wasn't expecting (nor targeting) halibut in that area.

Out there, with almost no-one else around, it's pretty easy to get something, even if it's just a rockfish or ling cod. Seems there are always lots of fish around, but strangely, I've never had any luck fishing at the areas where all the recreational fishing boats haul them in while trolling. Since I had limited information as to where the salmon were, my technique was to drop my 4" light pink buzz-bomb down to the bottom, and jig a few times before raising it maybe 8 feet. I'd continue this until I either had a fish on or got to the surface (and many times, I'd have a fish before I got to the surface). So this time, that's exactly what I did. Immediately after hitting bottom (no more than 10 seconds, I'd say), I felt a few hard kicks and then it felt like trying to drag up an old boot or a big lump of seaweed until I was almost at the surface, at which point the fish decided it was too bright and went for a huge run back down. I repeated this a few times and he eventually tired out (mind you, I was getting pretty tired too!). When I saw what I had, I knew my best bet was to try to get it to shore, and land it from shore (no way I wanted a halibut 1/2 my own weight in my cockpit with me - I'm not a big guy!). So, that's exactly what I did - towed it slowly for about an hour on a leader of 30lb test, back to camp a couple of km away, then hopped out of the kayak and let him have one more big run before I hauled him up with the home-made shark-hook gaff you see in the photos.

On this side of the island, I fish from a sit-on-top fishing kayak, but haven't yet landed a salmon (or halibut) this year. I too had heard of guys getting smaller hali out of Jordan River, and nice salmon from the Whiffen Spit area of Sooke, so if you're heading out some time and want some company, let me know - I'm game to come down from Nanaimo and try my luck down there. Maybe we can get a group together some time. :)

Did you have to cut the rigger line, or did it snap? I'd be paranoid of getting hung up in a Kayak or canoe...
The line snapped---my fault. I use 80 lb braided line which was several years old --- I knew it was frayed but thought I could get away with it until the end of this season--not!! I always carry a knife attached to my pfd just in case I do get a ball hung up. I've never had to use it but it's always there. Excellent report, Mantraguy! Your yak must have looked like a fish hold on the paddle back to the truck. I couldn't resist going out today to Muir when I saw there was no fog in the strait but no joy for me. I think I've only got 2 salmon from the yak this year--very slow, but then the power boaters aren't doing that great either.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Well since we were camping we unfortunately had no way to store any meat for 10 days so after the photos we had no choice but to let the big hali go! Despite the ordeal he swam away happily so I'm confident he's doing just fine. Ditto for the salmon - we ate the first one but released all the rest. The only fish we brought home was the small, 11 lb hali which we caught the day before we came home. Even that fish, with its head against the bulkhead in my cockpit, had its tail on my lap! The big guy would have had to be filleted before transport. Really sucks we couldn't keep it!

Thanks mantraguy for the fishing tips. Anytime you want to head down this way and get the kayak wet I'm game. I've had little luck this season in the little plastic boat but I am getting a lot of launching and surf landing practice!

A late report, but was in Bamfield a little over a week ago. Camped at Pachena with my wife and kids. Fished from boat and yak outta Bamfield. My father was at Poett Nook with a buddy so I joined them for a morning and eve on the boat.

I managed 1 spring about 10 in the yak in the harbour mouth. Spent three mornings from 6 to 8 am in the yak. Was on a 6.0 silver coyote off the rigger at 60 feet on a 5lb ball. Did better from the boat at Swale. But I must say the 10 in the yak was more fun than a 22lber from the 21 foot boat.

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 174
Nice work Xavier. I haven't fished Bamfield for years but I'm thinking the wall would have been doable in the yak as it's not far from the harbour mouth. Did you throw a crab pot out at Pachena? We used to camp out there 10 years ago and fish out of Bamfield but i had a little blow up sevylor kayak that I'd use to take the pots out into the bay at Pachena--it was great crabbing back then.
T2

Not on this trip, but when we were there in June I did from the yak, and was rewarded for the efforts.

Brock

Anyone going out kayaking this weekend? I'm going to try the French Beach area Saturday AM.
T2

I'm heading out to Race Rocks tomorrow morning with a buddy in our sea kayaks but I might get a bit of fishing in after the ebb... Mostly just playing around in the current though.

Arh. Wish I could go with T2...I'd like to figure out where to launch out westerly...Yellow tupperware is up on blocks awaiting repairs til maybe Friday, then back out lots. Good Luck.

Didn't quite make it to French Beach but trolled at Sheringham from 6:30 to 9 AM ish when the fog got a little too thick. Absolutely no wind to help move me along so that kept me pedaling. Got 1 sockeye right at the light at slack tide which is going on to the bbq tonight for my favourite summertime dinner--sockeye and corn out of our garden.
T2

The weather was right to try a kayak commute today so I launched at Esquimalt lagoon and trolled across to Fleming Beach, then walked to work. Tried a Sitka spoon behind a no drag flasher and a deep six. No fish but the traffic wasn't bad at all! :)
T2

I'm still quite surprised you made it to work! There are too many distractions that can happen for you, eg. Nice white spring on your line, coho tempting your true interests, kayaking on a beautiful calm day. Good for you in getting to work!

Hey T2
What type of no drag flasher did you use? I have been row boat fishing and having trouble with drag on the canon ball when the line comes off the clip the cannon ball falling back towards the boat actually sucks the boat back towards the fish and I can't pull up the slack fast enough. I bought one of those little kite flashers but I don't trust it much so I end up changeing back to the regular flasher. I was out off beacher bay on the weekend and lost about five due to the slack.
Thanks
Angus

Thawk--I've tried one of those kite flashers too with no success but I'd like to try it again when there are more fish around. I was using a Gibbs Delta in line roatating flasher yesterday--green. I have a uv purple that I use when going deeper. If there is wind to push me along (I have a sail on the yak) then I will use a regular flasher.
T2

Back