kayak fishing

I brought a couple of wild coho to the boat but nothing I could keep. It was an absolutely beauty of a day at Otter tho. I have been fishing herring strip on my power boat with good results for the springs this year and I thought strip would be great to use on the yak. My thought is that with anchovy you have to check the roll of the bait fairly often, which means cranking the downrigger up and down more. Using strip means less cranking. I'll keep trying on a day when there are more springs around.
T2

Fishing at Otter first light Friday AM--any yakkers are welcome to join me.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished otter yesterday during the morning flood. Picked up an nice 15ish spring on anchovy, at about 40 pulls, so 40- 60 feet. Nothing complicated for me, just a line and a sinker. No down rigger, no fish finder. Been kayak fishing since about 1998, in my blue necky 4. Something special about catching a big spring on a paddle craft. One tyee in the boat many years ago now. I have no plan of what to do if a get a wopping halibut.

Highlight of my summer fishing thus far - daughter's "surprise" 20lb spring in Desolation Sound. Kayak camping for a few nights and always bring a rod to jig up rockfish and maybe a ling for our dinners. First night I jigged up a beauty 10lb lingcod. Next day returned to the area and only small rock fish for our troubles and not very many at that. While my daughter and I were fishing my wife was watching the seals chase salmon so I told my daughter to leave the jig out (barbs pinched!) while we paddled to our lunch spot on an island by the main channel. Just as we were rounding from the lee of the island into the main current (at the tail end of flood) WHAM! Rods doubled over, line screaming and my daughter screaming even louder. Despite the screams she was determined she wanted to do it all by herself. A bit of a scare when the fish ran at the boat and line went slack for a minute but she cranked fast and got on him like a pro. Finally up to the boat and whoa, that's not the small coho I thought we might encounter but a very big and bright spring. Swam with us for a little while, then two more good runs. I paddled us into shore and jumped out. Daughter brought him into me on its side, I grabbed the line and up the beach it went. Beauty chrome spring and ecstatic 14-year old daughter! Secondary highlight was paddling up to a half-dozen richy-rich yachts to deliver some fresh salmon as we could only use a very small portion. Daughter proudly pronouncing she had caught it all on her own and much bigger than dad's ling from the day before!! Best tasting salmon ever!

Ukee

Great story,UD.Been following the adventures of the kayak fishers here,and sounds like a very rewarding way to get out
there and wet a line.I can see myself doing this sometime in the near future as so many aspects of it are appealing to me.

Got an 8 lber on strip at Muir this AM--perfect for the bbq for Albertan visitors tonight. What a great day for trolling in the yak--nice breeze to push my sail along, not too hot or cold and a fish to boot. I put the crab trap out in front of Muir but no keepers.
T2

Hi UD, great story. I fish without a big net and land the springs by gilling them. When i tour in my yak I carry kosher salt for brining the fish i catch in case i get a big one, which happened once in clayoquot sound at whaler island (20ish Lbs). That particular fish fed me and my buddy, some other campers, and i even brought some home to my GF. Another time when kayaking the central coast (Cultus Sound) i smoked several pinks on the beach which provided us some fresh protein for the last several days of the trip. Packed the fish low in the boat and the cool ocean and salt kept things fresh for a few days. There was no waste.

My first experience with kayak fishing: Slip rods into bungies behind cockpit, paddle out to fishing spot, go to access rods but can't reach them. Finally grab a rod but find the hook has firmly set into an out of reach deck webbing. Paddle back to shore. Go for swim trying to sort things out. Guess some technique is required.;). I see those open cockpit 'fishing' kayaks but assume they'd only be good for lakes and very select beaches on nice days.

Going out at otter first light if anyone eles want to join. Been skunked since beginning of June. Hopfully change my luck tomorrow!!!!!!

Good luck Hillier--don't forget to take your camera and record one for the team. I am leaving for a power boat trip to Renfrew tomorrow for the whole week otherwise I'd join you. After this comig weekend i am free for a trip anytime.
T2

Fished 9-1 otter today. Had no keeper but got one unclupped coho (released) and then lost a BIG coho or spring. It hit when I had my line trailing in the clip,it hit on the surface I diddnt even have my drag set yet. jumped like a coho but was big and pulled like a spring. Couldn't get it close enought to tell, spat the hook about about 20 feet away. But good day. Saw a little more action on the water then last couple of times out.

Hey Kayakers, anyone know how long it would take to paddle from Renfrew government wharf to east point?

Hey Kayakers, anyone know how long it would take to paddle from Renfrew government wharf to east point?
All depends on the current. Roughly about an hour, but watch for the currents out at East Point if you plan to fish there. I plan to fish there in August usiing my Adventure Island but there is a PM onshore wind that come s up which will enable me to get back to the beach relatively easily. Fishing is slow right now but should pick up soon. We were skunked along the beach today at the waterfall and Cullite.
T2

All depends on the current. Roughly about an hour, but watch for the currents out at East Point if you plan to fish there. I plan to fish there in August usiing my Adventure Island but there is a PM onshore wind that come s up which will enable me to get back to the beach relatively easily. Fishing is slow right now but should pick up soon. We were skunked along the beach today at the waterfall and Cullite.
T2

Thanks for the report, and the info. Was thinking of August myself as well, and for fishing. The PM wind should be less in Aug. Is east point an ebb or flood spot?

Thanks for the report, and the info. Was thinking of August myself as well, and for fishing. The PM wind should be less in Aug. Is east point an ebb or flood spot?
http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/jdf
I try and time all my kayaking trips around slack current. If you look at the link above, I would fish East Point by timing my trip from the dock to the point by starting from the gov. dock about 1 1/2 hours before the end of the ebb tide, letting the outgoing current help to get you out of the bay to the point. Once at the point, I would fish the slack current period until the flood tide builds and then let the incoming tide help get me back to the dock. I troll, which takes a lot of energy if the current is strong--if you are jigging or mooching, it might not matter so much as you expend less energy. Slack current time is still the best time for the fish to bite no matter what method of fishing you use.
T2

I drove out to Otter Point today at midday but the fog was still thick so I went back to Becher Bay and launched there. I fished Aldridge Point, turning at the edge of the fog bank back past Aldridge and Kreyke Point. No love and managed to lose a downrigger ball too! Good to get out though, and there was enough wind to push me around so I didn't have to peddle the whole time.
T2

That sucks about the downrigger ball! Last winter I made myself a custom, ~4lb ultra-thin pancake weight by melting down all sorts of chunks of scrap lead and shaping it down with files. Took forever and had to be super careful about fumes and clean-up but the result was excellent. Then I went and lost it when the braided line I was using snapped a couple of feet up from the ball, just as I was letting it down. I'm still sore about it. I've since switched back to cable.

In other news, the wife and I were out sea kayaking for a couple of weeks from Kyuquot, just south of the Brooks Peninsula (drive up past Sayward and Woss, way up towards the north end of the island, then bounce along 75km of logging roads before paddling the last 25km out to the exposted coast). Landed our 3 biggest fish so far, and from a sea kayak. Couple of nice 15+ lb springs, an 11 lb halibut and a 52+ lb halibut! While trying to weigh the big hali, I couldn't lift it high enough for the tail to clear the beach so it weighed 52 lbs with the tail still dragging! May have been closer to 55-60, but we'll stick with 52 as a minimum. Hoping for some more fish like those on this side of the island, but no luck so far.

IMG_6470.jpg IMG_6548.jpg
IMG_6563.jpg IMG_6587.jpg
IMG_7948.jpg IMG_7994.jpg
IMG_8023.jpg IMG_8029.jpg

Back