kayak fishing

I'm a long-time sea kayaker, now based in Nanaimo, and have paddled most of the way around Vancouver Island (although not all at once...yet!). Just got into kayak fishing and got myself at fishing kayak (OK, I won it at least year's kayak fishing derby!). I've been out a few times so far this year, with limited success, and am still very much learning but starting to figure out a few techniques. I've set up a downrigger on the kayak but am having a hard time maintaining trolling speed so I often use it to get down to a specific depth, pop the clip, and jig at that depth... with limited success. My best success has been in a sea kayak while touring on the west-coast of the island (outside of Quatsino area), but I'm looking to change that this year with my fishing kayak on the east coast of the island where I live and can go out pretty much any time.

I'd like to meet up with other local or even Victoria-area kayak fishers for salmon and/or hali. Just to have a fishing partner for a while or to trade tips and ideas. I've got plenty of gear (including a drysuit) so I often go out even if the weather isn't ideal (ie breezy, raining etc.). My schedule is pretty flexible; usually launch from the Charlaine boat ramp near Neck Point but I'm happy to go elsewhere.

Hope to meet up with other kayak fishers some time!
I'm down in Victoria and won't be out in the yak this weekend as the tides are too much but the weekend of the 7th is looking good for a Jordan River trip.
T2

OK I'll definitely keep that in mind! Anyone from up island planning or interested in heading down next weekend? I'd be happy to pick you up (have room for one more boat and plenty of gear) from Nanaimo or anywhere south...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OK I'll definitely keep that in mind! Anyone from up island planning or interested in heading down next weekend? I'd be happy to pick you up (have room for one more boat and plenty of gear) from Nanaimo or anywhere south...

PM your number. I am in Nanaimo and often take my yak out fishing when my daughter doesn't feel like going. The next couple weeks will be very busy, but when I can find time, I will load up and paddle out.

Rigged up my new Hobie PA 12 on Saturday; downrigger on a milk crate (bottom pic). Swapped out cable for 80lb PowerPro...gets the 5lb wait down with minimal blowback. Went out for a quick fish off Sooke on Sunday am and was rewarded before I made my first turn (top pic).

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 383
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 385
Well done X! Always good to anoint the decks with some blood. How did the boat feel? I see you have your rod holder on the port side--how is the clearance on your knees when you are pedalling ? I had to put an extension on mine to get clearance.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done X! Always good to anoint the decks with some blood. How did the boat feel? I see you have your rod holder on the port side--how is the clearance on your knees when you are pedalling ? I had to put an extension on mine to get clearance.
T2

Handled great. Definitely less control of the fish than when in a boat...just adds to the excitement though.

I have just enough clearance with the rod holder considering the angle of the seating in the PA, though I may fine tune. Didn't want it on the other side as that is where I prefer to perform the one-handed net job. Tried the kite-tail flasher as it enabled a very short leader, and very little drag. I am happy with the compromise as I tend to fish a hoochie quite a bit. The recommended 24 inch leader with a kite-tail also contributes to a slightly easier one hand net job due to the short leader.

Very cool! Seems your well on your way to being a yak pro! The short leader is smart! Let me know how much luck you end up with the kite-tail. Never used one before.

-KK

Ideally it would be in front of me. Some have mounted them on the same model I have between/under their legs, but they usually use the scupper holes to secure...however, that creates a bit of a safety issue. Others mount a laketroller by where you see by my fishfinder, but I prefer the larger retrieve and depth counter. There is not room for on it the side, and even if there was I think it would be unstable. It does track better the closer the rigger is to the rear of the kayak. I have no problem raising and lowering it from there, but I cannot play the fish and retrieve at the same time. Hook set, rod back in holder, rigger up, play the fish.

Big wave dave forecast for June 7th(Gordon's) is westerly 10 in the morning picking up to 20 in the PM. Tides look decent for the morning so I plan to be at Jordan River in the AM looking for halibut. Any yakkers want to join me, send me a pm with your phone number or call me on 68 when you get there. Here's a pic of Ryan D and I launching at the river a year ago.

T2

Good luck T. What's the plan for hali - harpoon, flying gaff, or standard gaff you can use to club it and gaff it? I am a belt and suspenders guy, keeping one of each, but hard call on a yak. How about a divers harpoon gun?

I don't think I'll be able to make it out this time around; too much other stuff going on at the moment. But keep us posted of future outings please - I'm sure I'll join up eventually! Good luck, and post pix of your catches please!

In my canoe I use a shark hook on a rope, last thing I'd want is a 30+ hali in my canoe alive. I also don't like having my canoe too full of things when fishing.

Good luck T. What's the plan for hali - harpoon, flying gaff, or standard gaff you can use to club it and gaff it? I am a belt and suspenders guy, keeping one of each, but hard call on a yak. How about a divers harpoon gun?
I Keep a shark hook attached to a buoy with 20 feet of line. The plan is to get eyes on the but and make a decision according to it's size. If it's a decent size I toss the buoy and line into the water, hanging onto the attached shark hook which I sink into the but and let it go, so it's not attached to the yak at all(except by the fishing line.). Once it's thrashed around for awhile, I will get it along side and deal with it. This is all theoretical for me at the moment as I've caught lots of salmon but never caught a halibut on the yak.
T2

Family emergency--I have to cancel fishing plans for tomorrow.
T2

I have mooched and trolled flies and spoons from a kayak and done very well on coho. I saw someone in a kayak at Ferrier Pt getting towed around by a tyee about 5 or 6 years ago, and he finally landed it after about 10 minutes. He was slow trolling a hooded anchovy with a 2-3 oz banana weight. The biggest problem was the 10' of leader he had between his weight and the chovy.

Tried my hand at trolling last week using a deep six, small flasher and Jughead Shaker (hoochie) in Alberni inlet.
Same yak as Tsquared, but no downrigger, and "trampolines" instead of haka boards. Oh, and a crew of three. hahahaha!
Fished a total of 30 minutes and caught three fish with no real idea of bottom depth, gear depth, or speed.
PIC ON FACEBOOK
I would say that sportfishing was somewhat lost on me due to my commercial fishing background, BUT fishing from a yak ads something very fun.
I'll hope to join some of you guys at some point in Sooke!

BTW, if you're kind enough to click the "like" button it would help me win a sounder so I wouldn't have to risk bouncing bottom in the future... thanks!

Well done Yogi! If the sounder prize doesn't work out for ya, I recently installed a Lowrance X4 Pro on my yak and am very pleased with it.

I'm going to Otter point(west of Sooke) to try for springs tomorrow at about 11 if anyone is interested. Holidays are finally here! ;)
T2

Back