kayak fishing

I'm cautious so I've only been out in relatively calm waters in 13 or 14 knot winds.. These things will do 10 knots in 20 knot winds they are very stable but it is a wet ride! Here in our waters you need to have a dry suit to keep warm and safe. Here is a clip from Hawaii showing what kind of waters these things are safe in. The clip shows a double--3 ft longer than mine but it is the same design.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xRfI7d59dww
T2

Thanks for all the tips I will defetly contact those who are looking for a fishing partner when I am in town as I work on the road.

hey there looking for tips on salmon fishing from a kayak i just bought a kayak and need some tips on what the best options for fishing are? also if anyone is looking for a fishing partner i am always game for a new adventure.

cheers thanks for the help al

I'm definitely interested in joining you sometime in my NuCanoe 12' (non Frontier) w/ 40lb Minn Kota Riptide. I'm not much into targeting salmon as we mainly eat white fish in our house, but I've had a lot of luck out of my Nucanoe (Lingcod, Rock Fish, Greenling, Sole). I've fished the Breakwater, Cattle Point, Smugglers Cove (Ten Mile Point), and Jordan River. I'd love to get a group of people together this year to Yak / Canoe fish Jordan River and try to land a Hali as they are fairly close to the shore.

Where are the Hali close to shore? Drmadcow I will defenitly get ahold of you when I am in town I work on the road but am home for two weeks at a time and would love some tips on what to use and how to fish for things I am just gettin into ocean fishing and don't care what I catch I just love to eat fish. So can wait to get out with ya I will message you when I am in town

Where are the Hali close to shore? Drmadcow I will defenitly get ahold of you when I am in town I work on the road but am home for two weeks at a time and would love some tips on what to use and how to fish for things I am just gettin into ocean fishing and don't care what I catch I just love to eat fish. So can wait to get out with ya I will message you when I am in town

The halis are out at Jordan River about .5 of a mile from launching, so it is a two or more Canoe or Yak day. My dad has caught several in his 8 foot punt jigging. The only catch is really need a sounder and GPS w/ map (or coordinates) both of which I have mounted in my NuCanoe. As for gear I actually make my own from lead then nickel plate. I'm planning my next trip in April when both Lings (my favorite eating fish) and halis will be open.

I'd be in on a Jordan River trip. I tried for halis once out there last year but no luck. I've got a sounder/plotter on the yak.
T2

You guys have me keen to get going on the paddleboard fishing again. As to not hi-jack your thread, I'll start a new one on the subject because I need some tips.

I've caught hali from a small tiny not far at all from JR. 70' deep.

Nice!!!! Were in Jordan river did you launch?????

Nice!!!! Were in Jordan river did you launch?????

The best place to launch is in the campsite / day use area. You can back a vehicle down almost to the water on the rocks. I've seen people launch small aluminum boats there as well. The 70' depth area is where dad got a few halis as well.

Went out today 11-1 at Beecher bay. Got one hit that diddnt stay on should of gone out earlyer was a good bite in the morning. First time for winter feeders need to get thinker boots. feet get real cold out there

I wold love to have some kayak fishing buddies, its a little intimidating to go alone. Feel free to PM me if anyone wants a fishing partner.

I am looking for someone up island to fish with. I am not a super experienced kayaker though so I have been sticking to the lakes for now.

Just my .02 cents but I'm not so sure a Downrigger is the best use of time and energy in a kayak. I do lots of salt chuck fishing in a small inflatable and it's really tough using a downrigger effectively even when you have power (a small outboard, like 3 - 5 Hp sounds great but even a 5 lb cannonball will HUGELY effect the way the boat tracks)

You guys would be much better off jigging (with jigs such as Point Wilson Darts or Krippled Herring Jigs etc) or mooching a plug-cut herring --- kayaks can hover right over the fish (sometimes way better then power boats) and jigs are DEADLY once you find the fish and keep raining that jig on their parade.

Herring is easy to fish---there are about 2 million Youtube vids on how to rig them ---once you get a piece of herring to spin, just keep working it up down through the water column---way easier then trying to screw around with a downrigger and many times, WAY more effective.

Fishing halis? Good luck with that. I've had several Nantucket Sleigh Rides in small boats behind a hali and without being overly melodramatic, it's actually pretty dangerous---you get a 40 pounder up to the surface who doesn't want to quite give up yet and he will re-define the word "pissed off"

They could easily flip a kayak over if you weren't properly prepared (like carrying a priest (club) and knowing how to use it and where to apply it to slow him down once he surfaces etc)

good luck and yes, wear a wet suit or a dry suit-- it takes all of 3 minutes to spell the word "hypothermia" when your teeth are chattering

Last edited by a moderator:
I've spent a month or two of many summers kayak camping in Haida Gwaii, and relying mostly on fish for food. I've trolled and mooched up lots of spring, coho and pink salmon. Many were caught while we were in transit between camping spots 20-30 miles apart, or just while paddling to explore. I've never used a downrigger or flashers from a kayak, and never would, although I downrigger-troll with my power boat 6 months a year. Use the right tool for the job!

If you're going to fish with downriggers, cannonballs, and sounders, use a power boat and do it right. The advantage of the kayak is the ability to work shallow, in close to the kelp where the feed is and the feeders are. Instead of electronics, use your eyes. An eagle making a dive could be going for herring, or fish feeding on herring. Diving birds like auklets give you an idea how deep the feed is. They dive at about 3 feet per second, so if one goes down for 20 seconds and comes back up with bait in his beak, you can be sure the bait is no deeper than 30 feet. Seagulls working bait are another obvious sign.

I also don't see any need for a rod holder. Our technique is to have a heavy shock cord across the deck directly in front of the cockpit. We use a medium-action 7' rod with a spinning reel loaded with 10-lb. test line, with the rod tip pointed astern, the drag quite loose, and the handle of the spinning reel pointing up, and held in place by the shock cord. When a fish strikes, the shock cord gives, then recoils, setting the hook, and the fish runs freely against the loose drag until you ship your paddle, pick up the rod, and play the salmon as normal. It's the low-cost, low-tech way to go.

Lures depend on species. For pink salmon, nothing beats a 1/2 ounce nickel-plated Blue Fox Pixie spoon with the Flo Red insert. No other color pattern or size compares. It works best with a swivel, and late in the season, coho also like it. Troll it with no additional weight, and don't go too fast, because pinks are lazy. They also like a pink shrimp-pattern weighted streamer fished slowly near the surface.

For coho and springs, a 3.5" Coyote Spoon in a variety of colors, especially Cop Car and GloGreen, is a winner. A rubber core sinker weighing around 1/2 or 3/4 ounce set 5' from the spoon will get the lure down to 10-15 feet at Kayak speeds, and if you're trolling the edges of kelp beds along a drop-off where you should be, that's plenty deep. Unless you're strong enough to sustain high speeds, forget about hoochies and plugs.

Another good kayak method is casting and jigging a Buzz Bomb, with or without a herring strip on the hook. I personally like a Pink Pearl. You don't need a depth sounder, because again you'll be working the edges of kelp beds. If you're lucky, you'll see bait being driven to the surface. Just cast, let it sink, reel in a ways, let it flutter back, and reel again. Don't be in a hurry. Sometimes the Buzz Bomb is most effective if you let it hang below the boat with a piece of herring strip, and jig it gently every minute or so, just enough to produce the fish-attracting vibration.

A kayak is also ideal for mooching with herring, either whole or cut-plugs. In fact, I've caught lots of coho and springs just hanging a weighted hunk of belly strip cut from a rockfish 25-40 feet under the boat. Be sure to have a big-enough landing net or a gaff, and a stringer is also handy for the bleeding.

A kayak is big fun for bottom fish. I've jigged up lots of lingcod up to 62 pounds (which I always release unless they're under about about 15 pounds) from the kayak, and caught several halibut up to 45 pounds ( I've shaken some bigger ones, which is also quite exciting). A hali in a kayak is no joke!!! Carry the right equipment: a good club; a good gaff (no nets!!!); a stringer with a shielded, sharpened snap on the end of the rope; and a large, sharp knife. I use a heavy 6' rod with a star-drag Penn reel loaded with 60lb line. If you use a circle hook for halibut, you usually have the fish hooked solidly, so you can play him out as much as possible before bringing him to the boat.

You're way ahead of the game if you can roll a played-out halibut white-side up without lifting his head out of the water, clamp the rod between your knees, grab him by the tail, and run the smooth side of your gaff down the lateral line. For reasons unknown, this usually leaves halibut temporarily docile. Drive the stringer snap through the jaw, and snap it closed. If the fish is still docile, take the knife, and cut around the tail, then snap your wrist, breaking the spine. If he comes alive at this point, you have him on both the stringer and the line, and most of his power is gone.

Only at that point do I gaff them through the head, because lifting the head earlier reenergises them, and leaves you trying to fly an angry muscular kite on a sharp piece of metal at eye level or above. Take the club, and play your favorite drum solo for awhile on his head, then cut the gills, and let him bleed out. Realize that you don't want to hit him between the eyes, because you'll just be bashing his cheek. I fish from a double kayak, so I lift the bled-out fish into the open front cockpit, which is lined with a slime-resistant garbage bag.

Halibut are notorious for coming back to life like Dracula, so if it's a larger specimen, I take a few feet of 1/4 inch line, with a piece of straightened coat-hanger wire on one end and a loop tied in the other, lasso the tail, run the wire and rope through the gills and out the mouth, bend the fish in an arc, and tie off to the tail-loop. He might still come back to life, but he can't do much.

If you do decide to sit and jig or mooch, DON'T do it right in the middle of a busy trolling tack! The best thing about kayak fishing is working water that's a threat to propellers, being able to see, hear and smell what's going on around you, and having it all to yourself. It's minimalist fishing, but sometimes less is more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a few kayakers getting nice springs pretty close to the beach at Otter Pt last year. one kayaker had a tiny downrigger on it. others don`t, mooching with strip or anchovy. due to gas prices rising, kayaks are getting popular for fishing!

I've spent a month or two of many summers kayak camping in Haida Gwaii, and relying mostly on fish for food. I've trolled and mooched up lots of spring, coho and pink salmon. Many were caught while we were in transit between camping spots 20-30 miles apart, or just while paddling to explore. I've never used a downrigger or flashers from a kayak, and never would, although I downrigger-troll with my power boat 6 months a year. Use the right tool for the job!

If you're going to fish with downriggers, cannonballs, and sounders, use a power boat and do it right. The advantage of the kayak is the ability to work shallow, in close to the kelp where the feed is and the feeders are. Instead of electronics, use your eyes. An eagle making a dive could be going for herring, or fish feeding on herring. Diving birds like auklets give you an idea how deep the feed is. They dive at about 3 feet per second, so if one goes down for 20 seconds and comes back up with bait in his beak, you can be sure the bait is no deeper than 30 feet. Seagulls working bait are another obvious sign.

I also don't see any need for a rod holder. Our technique is to have a heavy shock cord across the deck directly in front of the cockpit. We use a medium-action 7' rod with a spinning reel loaded with 10-lb. test line, with the rod tip pointed astern, the drag quite loose, and the handle of the spinning reel pointing up, and held in place by the shock cord. When a fish strikes, the shock cord gives, then recoils, setting the hook, and the fish runs freely against the loose drag until you ship your paddle, pick up the rod, and play the salmon as normal. It's the low-cost, low-tech way to go.

Lures depend on species. For pink salmon, nothing beats a 1/2 ounce nickel-plated Blue Fox Pixie spoon with the Flo Red insert. No other color pattern or size compares. It works best with a swivel, and late in the season, coho also like it. Troll it with no additional weight, and don't go too fast, because pinks are lazy. They also like a pink shrimp-pattern weighted streamer fished slowly near the surface.

For coho and springs, a 3.5" Coyote Spoon in a variety of colors, especially Cop Car and GloGreen, is a winner. A rubber core sinker weighing around 1/2 or 3/4 ounce set 5' from the spoon will get the lure down to 10-15 feet at Kayak speeds, and if you're trolling the edges of kelp beds along a drop-off where you should be, that's plenty deep. Unless you're strong enough to sustain high speeds, forget about hoochies and plugs.

Another good kayak method is casting and jigging a Buzz Bomb, with or without a herring strip on the hook. I personally like a Pink Pearl. You don't need a depth sounder, because again you'll be working the edges of kelp beds. If you're lucky, you'll see bait being driven to the surface. Just cast, let it sink, reel in a ways, let it flutter back, and reel again. Don't be in a hurry. Sometimes the Buzz Bomb is most effective if you let it hang below the boat with a piece of herring strip, and jig it gently every minute or so, just enough to produce the fish-attracting vibration.

A kayak is also ideal for mooching with herring, either whole or cut-plugs. In fact, I've caught lots of coho and springs just hanging a weighted hunk of belly strip cut from a rockfish 25-40 feet under the boat. Be sure to have a big-enough landing net or a gaff, and a stringer is also handy for the bleeding.

A kayak is big fun for bottom fish. I've jigged up lots of lingcod up to 62 pounds (which I always release unless they're under about about 15 pounds) from the kayak, and caught several halibut up to 45 pounds ( I've shaken some bigger ones, which is also quite exciting). A hali in a kayak is no joke!!! Carry the right equipment: a good club; a good gaff (no nets!!!); a stinger with a shielded, sharpened snap on the end of the rope; and a large, sharp knife. I use a heavy 6' rod with a star-drag Penn reel loaded with 60lb line. If you use a circle hook for halibut, you usually have the fish hooked solidly, so you can play him out as much as possible before bringing him to the boat.

You're way ahead of the game if you can roll a played-out halibut white-side up without lifting his head out of the water, clamp the rod between your knees, grab him by the tail, and run the smooth side of your gaff down the lateral line. For reasons unknown, this usually leaves halibut temporarily docile. Drive the stringer snap through the jaw, and snap it closed. If the fish is still docile, take the knife, and cut around the tail, then snap your wrist, breaking the spine. If he comes alive at this point, you have him on both the stringer and the line, and most of his power is gone.

Only at that point do I gaff them through the head, because lifting the head earlier reenergises them, and leaves you trying to fly an angry muscular kite on a sharp piece of metal at eye level or above. Take the club, and play your favorite drum solo for awhile on his head, then cut the gills, and let him bleed out. Realize that you don't want to hit him between the eyes, because you'll just be bashing his cheek. I fish from a double kayak, so I lift the bled-out fish into the open front cockpit, which is lined with a slime-resistant garbage bag.

Halibut are notorious for coming back to life like Dracula, so if it's a larger specimen, I take a few feet of 1/4 inch line, with a piece of straightened coat-hanger wire on one end and a loop tied in the other, lasso the tail, run the wire and rope through the gills and out the mouth, bend the fish in an arc, and tie off to the tail-loop. He might still come back to life, but he can't do much.

If you do decide to sit and jig or mooch, DON'T do it right in the middle of a busy trolling tack! The best thing about kayak fishing is working water that's a threat to propellers, being able to see, hear and smell what's going on around you, and having it all to yourself. It's minimalist fishing, but sometimes less is more.

Wow, thats a great write up on Kayak fishing....thanks for sharing your years of experience...

Ya, Karlo---really good info and well written!~

I especially liked this part....

Instead of electronics, use your eyes. An eagle making a dive could be going for herring, or fish feeding on herring. Diving birds like auklets give you an idea how deep the feed is. They dive at about 3 feet per second, so if one goes down for 20 seconds and comes back up with bait in his beak, you can be sure the bait is no deeper than 30 feet.
UNQUOTE

Sounds like you pay lots of attention when you're out on the water!

I have kayak fished in many places all over North America and enjoy the challenges/rewards it can bring. Kayaks are versatile boats- fresh water or salt, shallow or deep, catching trout or blacktips or even crabbing and shrimping.

In this, I have learned that trolling with downriggers is possible when fishing deep. I use either a 3 or 5 pound ball, but mostly a 3 will get me where I want to be. Takes longer to get there and the paddling is affected, but anyone of reasonable health can do it. Because of such slower speeds, I have found that flashers provide no benefit- only additional drag. To give the lure/bait action, I use just a flat piece of aluminum with a bend. The metal is very thin and narrow. Seems to work OK.

Jigging is the easiest form of yak fishing. On the yak, you don't have much working room so you have to figure out how to make the most of it. When jigging, I'll use a Buzz Bomb- small, light, effective. But, to save space, I rig it on the hill before launching. I'll put the Bomb on the line then a piece of bait then the bumper and hook. This way, I don't have worry so much about losing bait and no scent oils to pack aboard.

I do have a fish finder on my yak. For power, I use a small 12V battery like those used for kids ride on type toys. They don't weigh much and are compact.. Most folks mount the transducer inside the yak- I don't. Using a Scotty mount, I made a transducer mount that is removable within a second or two. It is suspended about 3 inches below the yak and is rock solid in its mount.

As far as using your eyes to find fish, this is very much true in the shallows. And, remember to watch and follow the birds and seals. For sure use polarized sunglasses. Also, don't use thick PFD's. Use the manually inflatable types. The automatic ones can deploy if you get a wash-over or paddle drip hits the triggering device. With manually inflatables, you control deployment and with automatics, in the event of a rollover, the thing could deploy while you are upside down and still in the yak thus forcing you upwards and keeping you seated rather than allowing escape.

I'm a long-time sea kayaker, now based in Nanaimo, and have paddled most of the way around Vancouver Island (although not all at once...yet!). Just got into kayak fishing and got myself at fishing kayak (OK, I won it at least year's kayak fishing derby!). I've been out a few times so far this year, with limited success, and am still very much learning but starting to figure out a few techniques. I've set up a downrigger on the kayak but am having a hard time maintaining trolling speed so I often use it to get down to a specific depth, pop the clip, and jig at that depth... with limited success. My best success has been in a sea kayak while touring on the west-coast of the island (outside of Quatsino area), but I'm looking to change that this year with my fishing kayak on the east coast of the island where I live and can go out pretty much any time.

I'd like to meet up with other local or even Victoria-area kayak fishers for salmon and/or hali. Just to have a fishing partner for a while or to trade tips and ideas. I've got plenty of gear (including a drysuit) so I often go out even if the weather isn't ideal (ie breezy, raining etc.). My schedule is pretty flexible; usually launch from the Charlaine boat ramp near Neck Point but I'm happy to go elsewhere.

Hope to meet up with other kayak fishers some time!

Back