kayak fishing 2015

Thinking about getting a tandem kayak for my wife and I to paddle around and maybe do some crabbing/fishing.
Any of you tried tandem fishing and in what yak?
Anyone ever fish Renfrew in there yak (eastpoint)?
Thanks

You both better like fishing, sounds like a recipe for tension! Laffs. I have fished the other side Owen point to camper creek in my kayak. Lost one at camper creek many years ago, but no other fish in the boat. Never set out to fish east point, although it would be a nice paddle. I would consider launching at the government wharf. The double would give you great speed out to the point and the scenery there is fine. If the surf is up it'll be challenging to take a break.
Z

You both better like fishing, sounds like a recipe for tension! Laffs. I have fished the other side Owen point to camper creek in my kayak. Lost one at camper creek many years ago, but no other fish in the boat. Never set out to fish east point, although it would be a nice paddle. I would consider launching at the government wharf. The double would give you great speed out to the point and the scenery there is fine. If the surf is up it'll be challenging to take a break.
Z

Lol, yes I'll have to pick my days to take her out fishing. Most of he rec tandems I've been looking at convert to a single kayaker as well.
Hopefully I'm going to be able to check some out in person in the next couple of weeks.
Cheers

Out to Otter Point for 2 hours last night around dinner time. Really good action, with 2 wild Coho, 3 Pinks and a 14# Spring landed. All dragging anchovy in purple haze head down 40-50 ft. More boats than usual for an evening...counted 35 just in the Otter/Gordon's area and they were swarming like flies towards any area where someone seemed to have landed a fish. I just kept trying to go the opposite directions to stay out of the crowd and seemed to have some luck. Saw quite a few fish caught, including 2 guys who launched and landed where I did with three 20ish springs.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info and guidance on kayak fishing in the salt both from particular members and the posted info both in this thread and throughout this site. I've learned a lot in short time and put it together enough to manage a nice spring off Sooke this past Wednesday on a kite tail/slip weight/anchovy combo, before I unfortunately have to move back to the mainland. Going to need to work on landing fish from a kayak better that's for sure! There are a lot of variables to sort through with this type of fishing, from tides and currents to launching in swells to landing a fish to rigging the kayak, salting bait, and the drag of gear/getting deep enough while paddling, etc. but it's also loads more fun than trolling from a power boat. Was out off otter point this morning, current was pushing pretty hard and only saw a few springs caught but I left early so I hope it picked up. Anyways cheers, going to have to find my saltwater fix off north van or crescent beach now.
Len

My son has been obsessed with kayak fishing for a couple years now. He outgrew his last kayak, so I just bought him a bigger one from canadian tire. He's only 9, so not ready for Gordon's yet, but I take him to a little bay by our house. I bought him the fishing version, with rod holders and stuff.
He loves to watch you guys when we are out fishing the otter point area.
He caught a greenling in this bay, so he was pretty stoked. Likely hit lakes more than the salt though. When the local lakes turn on, we'll hit them.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Atta guy tones! Bet he could have used his deep 6! I'll bring him a bigger one he can try too. Next he needs to brush up on his cut plugging so he can hammer them along the kelp beds ;)

I'm thinking he'll be posting his own reports soon enough rocky.

GnB

tie off his paddle to the yak.clove hitch with a couple half hitches on the main line would do on the paddle and a bowline to the yak.looks like fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was out in the kayak today, G-spot launch, had a plan to head out to the light for the end of the ebb, but I noticed that the race rocks predicted ebb current till 8:00ish was already a flood at 6:00 am. Wondered if this is this a typical timing scenario between race and sheringham....or maybe just a bigger than usual gordons eddy. Headed west and managed to boat a couple of low/mid teen springs. Never made sheringham. Used a green kite tail flasher and anchovy 40 pulls. old school. Figure it was 50-60' down. Done by 10:30. I really like the lower drag of the kite tail when playing a fish, its making these smaller springs a bit more fun and also its easier the get a bit deeper.

Out to Otter last night at 5. Fish on within 5 minutes on first pass East picked right out of a group of boats who were kind to give me some space when they could see I had a Spring on. Landed a nice 12.5 lb female that made some good runs and a couple of Coho-style jumps. Wind picked up soon after that, so 45 min outing with some nice meat in the brine for the smoker!

Anchovy in purple haze head, 65 ft out on the rigger=about 45ft deep, in 65 ft of water.

Same story here...out from 3:30-6:30 pm at Otter. First skunk this year...hopefully not a new trend!!

Wish I had known about your site earlier. Been in Central Saanich since Sunday but will be on our way back to California tomorrow. I am an avid kayak fisherman and been a member of NCKA ((http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?action=forum) for 6 years. Tried fishing the Sooke area yesterday on a charter and caught 3 but nothing better than landing them on a kayak. Next time I visit my sister in law again, I'll definitely hook up with you guys.

Anytime you're in the Bay Area (San Francisco to San Jose area), give me a howler and depending on schedule, I'll take you kayak fishing, all things provided: Hobie AI, Hobie Revo, Wilderness Tarpon.

Envious of your great fishing here guys. T2, good job starting this section of the forum. This sport will definitely pick up.

Great job guys, happy fishing and as we say all the time, WTTM: welcome to the madness.

Danny

Give us a shout next time, Danny.
T2

Thanks T2. Now, I want to plan my next trip back here as soon as possible. As I've mentioned in my pm, please do include pictures in your posts so I can relive your adventures though I'm far away in the Bay Area.
Happy Fishing.
Danny

T2,

Just got back Sunday! Salmon fishing just picked up on our coast by Duxbury/Bolinas Bay north of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco as of Sep 1st. This is a first for us from the normal one here one there kind of a fishing report.
Duxbury_9-1-2015.jpg
Picture above is a facebook report of one of our charter boats based in Sausalito: The Outer Limits. Limits for 21 anglers. I said wowwww.

Taking my AI out there on my first available date: Sep 12 Saturday. Hope they are still around.
Regards.

Danny

Do all you kayak fishermen down in Victoria use Mirage-drive systems? If not, is there any viable way of using a downrigger for salmon fishing from a 'conventional' (ie. paddle-driven!) fishing kayak? I was out near French Creek last week in my Tarpon, set up with a downrigger etc., but I can't troll it fast enough it seems. All the power boats around me, and there were many, were netting all sizes of pinks and springs, but all I could hook were dogfish (about 10 of them!). Despite landing a number of nice sized springs off the west coast in June with my sea kayak, I have yet to land one on the south or east side of the island since almost 2 years ago. I'd love to try a Mirage system some time but it's just not in the budget these days, so I'm looking for other suggestions... I'm not complaining - still great to get out and fish, but it would be nice to bring something home once in a while!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Do all you kayak fishermen down in Victoria use Mirage-drive systems? If not, is there any viable way of using a downrigger for salmon fishing from a 'conventional' (ie. paddle-driven!) fishing kayak?

Not all of us use mirage drive systems or down-riggers. You should be able to comfortably paddle at the same pace as the sport boats are trolling at. If you are finding that the hull speed of the fishing kayak is lacking, going back to your sea kayak is always an option.

Cheers!
IMG_1736.jpg

There are many successful yakkers who aren't in hobies. Zfish uses a 1 lb weight, 33 pulls and does very well

OK thanks guys! I've just 'poured' another custom lead pancake weight so I'll try that tomorrow... but I'm guessing it might still be too wide and draggy (6.5 lb). All my successes over on the west coast have come from jigging, but it seems there are fewer fish here (I'm in Nanaimo), or maybe they're just smarter .;-) Perhaps I'll have to come down and let you guys show me how it's done some time!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back