Just ordered a Stabicraft 2050 Super Cab with 150HP Yamaha Outboard.

You are already light years ahead of most guys who never look into it and just tow !!

I remember reading a comment years ago in a diesel truck magazine : " towing with a 1/2 ton is like sleeping with your sister ....................... it will get the job done but ............................... its not ideal !:eek:
Similar expression in sailboat racing, "banging the corners is like screwing your cousin, just because it feels good does not make it right."

OK finally got around to checking the decal, total payload is 1,490 lbs, not quite what the online spec's list.

So if I have a trailer tongue weight of 350 - 400 lbs, myself and 2 sons about 575 lbs, added canopy probably 200 lbs, so total of 1,175 lbs without gear.

It adds up fast, not sure why the specs on my model showed 1819 lbs but the decal on the truck shows 1,490 lbs.

I can work with it but didn't realize I would need to keep an eye on the truck payload.

Guess I can load some of the gear in the boat including coolers, ice and cold beverages.

I've up rated the trailer so I should be OK there, it's rated for 5200 lbs and the Stabicraft 2050 shows a tow weight of 3,300 lbs, so I shouldn't be above 4,000 lbs loaded.

I'll get it on a truck scale once it's all setup and see where I'm at.

David.
That's pretty standard, 1819# max payload is probably a 4cyl and 2 wheel drive, no options.

V6, 4x4, sunroof, mats, nice seats, any optind, etc. it all comes out of your payload.

Anyway, it looks like you're good, just being aware of what your limit is you're doing better than 80% of the guys out there. Good think you didn't get the 950# Tacoma!

Nice truck, beauty of a boat, summer '23 looks like it's shaping up pretty well for you! Looking forward to seeing your Stabi next!

You're on the right track, my rule of thumb has always been to have double the trailer/boat weight for towing capacity, It adds up fast, ice, grub, fuel, gear, lead, more ice more gear more fuel (more lead Stizz)...then add 500 or a 1000lbs of fish going the other way.....

I’m currently on a road trip in NZ, just managed to miss the cyclone last week up North and have been in beautiful sunshine on the West Coast of the South Island for the last few days.

I finally got to see in person a 2023 Stabicraft 2050 Super Cab, the dealer in my home town of Motueka had one in stock, so I was able to take a few measurements and get a feel for the boat, I hung out on the boat for an hour or so and loved it, the dealer was very helpful and accommodating even though I told him that I have already ordered one in Canada.

I’ve arranged a Stabicraft factory visit for the 28th Feb, and one of the guys I met at the Seattle show wants to see if he can get me out on the Orange 2050 featured in the Stabicraft promotional videos.

Then off to Stewart Island for some fishing for a few days.

I’ll be interested to see if my build slot of last week of March is still on schedule, even if it is it may be as late as September 2023 delivery to Canada based on the latest shipments to arrive.

Enjoy the snow, I see Vancouver is in for another dusting.

David

Lots of quality and different opinions here, so take each with a grain of salt. At the end of the day it’s your money. It will bring you a lot of great adventures and memories. That said, you are talking about exploring a lot of Rugged coast line areas, for you and your families safety, a kicker motor is a must. Yes your Yami will be brand new, but there’s so many things that can happen and breaking out a single paddle won’t be a good option.
Just my 2 cents.

Lots of quality and different opinions here, so take each with a grain of salt. At the end of the day it’s your money. It will bring you a lot of great adventures and memories. That said, you are talking about exploring a lot of Rugged coast line areas, for you and your families safety, a kicker motor is a must. Yes your Yami will be brand new, but there’s so many things that can happen and breaking out a single paddle won’t be a good option.
Just my 2 cents.
Gallivanter, thanks for commenting, in case you missed my earlier post, I have ordered a factory installed kicker mount and a Yamaha 9.9HP High Thrust kicker motor, I got the message loud and clear, they are not used very much in other parts of the world but I now understand why they are needed and recommended here.

David

As the sea dogs here have suggested, a kicker is strongly recommended for safety and to spare the big engine all the long hours salmon trolling.

Hahaha anyone else getting the "Kicker Strongly Recommended" comments similarity to "Did you get the memo about the TPS Reports?"

🤣🤣

Last edited:
Hahaha anyone else getting the "Kicker Strongly Recommended" comments similarity to "Did you get the memo about the TPS Reports" (Office Space Reference)

🤣🤣
You can't say what the reference was!! It was awesome, but you ruined it.

There is no paper jam

That’s my swing line.
don’t touch my swing line!

trashing that printer with the gangster rap playing in the background was the best scene ever

When we started our company years ago every staff member received a different coloured Swingline 747 stapler.

I was tired of people scrathing their names into the stapler and/or picking up and walking away with someone's stapler.

The photocopy room and the receptionist's desk have black ones.

In 12 years not one stapler has gone "missing" and everyone has a uniquely coloured stapler.

It is a small thing but it sets office tone, and was very helpful during the covid era.

When we started our company years ago every staff member received a different coloured Swingline 747 stapler.

I was tired of people scrathing their names into the stapler and/or picking up and walking away with someone's stapler.

The photocopy room and the receptionist's desk have black ones.

In 12 years not one stapler has gone "missing" and everyone has a uniquely coloured stapler.

It is a small thing but it sets office tone, and was very helpful during the covid era.
OCD does come in handy, that is a great idea.

So my visit to the Stabicraft factory was awesome, they gave me a very thorough tour and got to talk with some of the guys on the production floor and the design team, I learned a lot about the way they build the boats which was great to see, as I now know how well built they are.

I also got a build date and most importantly a ship date for my boat, which is end of May to be on the ship heading direct to Vancouver.

No pictures from the factory floor but I did snap a few pictures in the yard and a shot of a 2050 being loaded into a container headed to Australia.

I’ll post pictures once I get to a computer, can’t figure out how from my iPad.

My visit to Stewart Island was epic, went out with my brother to his mussel farm and picked up some NZ green lipped mussels, then we dropped some hand lines in the water, about 85ft deep and had 3 blue cod in the boat in minutes, we stopped after 4 as that was plenty for 4 of us.

As we didn’t have any bait with us we used a couple of mussels, my brother had some fine cheese cloth so made a mussel gift for the fish and put a hook through it, that way they didn’t pull the mussel off the hook and we caught the cod on the same 2 baits, could have caught a dozen on those 2 baits if we wanted.

more to come.

David

So after a bit of a delay due to the dock workers strike my 2050 finally arrived at the dealer.

Dropped by yesterday to take a first look and ensure the two changes I made to the original order were included.

I added the kicker motor bracket and the 3mm thick keel wear strip.

Boat looks great, hopefully I'll being doing a water test soon, but I'm 2nd or 3rd in line to have my boat fitted out, as they received 6 Stabi's in the latest order.

Good timing, will it be ready for Sept 1st?
Should be, I think the dealer needs about 3 days for rigging a boat, depending on the electronics package it could take more, so we should get ours the following week, 28th to the 30th August. What is significant about Sept. 1st?

Back