Just ordered a Stabicraft 2050 Super Cab with 150HP Yamaha Outboard.

Get a kicker....too many things that can happen even to a new motor....hit a log at speed and breaking something, , kelp blocking water inlet causing an overheated engine that quits and won't restart...the list is long....a kicker is not just a trolling engine..it is insurance that will get you home...eventually without having to ask for help and ruin someone else's
day.
I have asked the dealer to add the factory kicker bracket to my order.

Both my neighbours were very vocal about having a kicker motor, so enough said on that topic, I will have a kicker motor installed.

David.

Hate to spend more of your hard earned money but if you haven’t bought a radio yet I’d go with one that has AIS receive to allow your chartplotter to see big boats, helpful when in fog but also when looking for tuna off the west coast.
I have that on my list, it was recommended by the Mike at Galleon.

Garmin VHF-215-AIS

1666566298010.png

Last edited:
heh. common sense prevailed.
maybe now he will go with an all simrad setup with a nice vhf with wireless mics, a 2250 Ultracab with plumbed toilets and a used pickup.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think once you’ve done Power SquadRon. you get your PCOC. At least it used to be at way. Do PS. You won’t regret it.
So I signed up with Power Squadron and they have the online study course for the PCOC as well as many other courses either online or in person.

I went though the online course material and then completed the online test for my PCOC, all told took about 5 hours in one sitting.

The online course material was mostly common sense but I had a bit of trouble with the navigation section, I have been on boats quite a lot since I was a kid but never been good with navigation markers and who has right of way etc. The course helped a lot but I'll need to review it several more times before it becomes second nature to me.

There were 50 questions and a few of them were not included in the online course material, most were easy but I had to guess a few.

I did get 88% in the test, so an easy pass but I was hoping for better.

I'll definitely do the Power Squadron courses on navigation in person as I tend to learn better in a classroom teaching environment.

David

Do they still use paper charts for the course?
I took it over 30 years ago.
Couldn't imagine learning any other way, but it is a brave new world of electronics.

Good on you for doing the work!

Do they still use paper charts for the course?
I took it over 30 years ago.
Couldn't imagine learning any other way, but it is a brave new world of electronics.

Good on you for doing the work!
They do...I did the 2/3 blended course in the spring, remote but they sent the practice charts by mail. I think they are likely heading back to in person courses now. Worth it.

Kia ora, Nice boat.
Good job getting the 2050 it will be awesome and good job on getting the kicker. That is plenty of boat for taking off the west coast of Vancouver Island. You just need to get comfortable with operating it in different sea conditions and understand what weather to take it out in. And when to stay on the inside.

Have been thinking my next boat might be smaller. Really like the Stabicraft 1550 Frontier. Would be great for jigging with a Minnkota Teranova.

While you are waiting for your new boat to arrive get the Navionics app on your phone and you can start planning where you will go on your adventures.

Cheers and welcome to the Forum.

So I signed up with Power Squadron and they have the online study course for the PCOC as well as many other courses either online or in person.

I went though the online course material and then completed the online test for my PCOC, all told took about 5 hours in one sitting.

The online course material was mostly common sense but I had a bit of trouble with the navigation section, I have been on boats quite a lot since I was a kid but never been good with navigation markers and who has right of way etc. The course helped a lot but I'll need to review it several more times before it becomes second nature to me.

There were 50 questions and a few of them were not included in the online course material, most were easy but I had to guess a few.

I did get 88% in the test, so an easy pass but I was hoping for better.

I'll definitely do the Power Squadron courses on navigation in person as I tend to learn better in a classroom teaching environment.

David

don’t sweat it: nobody knows what they are doing out there except ticketed captains. ;)

just remember “ if you turn to port you’re going to court.”

Kaelc, thanks for your comments and input, both my current vehicles that are available for towing have a max tow weight of 5,000 pounds, which is adequate for the 2050 but the 2250 comes in at 5555lbs without anything onboard so would need a minimum 6,000 lbs, a Toyota Tacoma truck has 6,800 lbs tow capacity IIRC but may not be enough for the 2500 XL.

I bought a Tacoma and then a Forerunner new about 20 years ago, liked them both but always wanted to buy another Tacoma, so maybe that's a possibility.

That 1450 looks like it would make a great fishing platform, I think my brother still has one of those, he lives on Stewart Island about 50KM from the Stabicraft Factory.

David.

Edit, I forgot to respond to the seats question, the new 2023, 2050 Supercab Sportfish model comes with the premium bolster seats mounted on blade rails (so the coolers fit underneath) not sure if I'd want to change them out and reviews have shown they are really comfortable even in rough seas.
I'd be wary towing that boat with a Tacoma. Read deeper than the "maximum tow" number you see in advertising. Depending on vehicle options it's likely your payload will only be about 1000 lbs.

I used to tow a significantly smaller boat than your Stabi with my Toyota and on mountain roads and descents it was maxed.

Unless you're only planning "just down the road" to the boat ramp, I'd get a real tow vehicle. ¾ ton.

Oh, and super nice boat! You'll have a blast on that I'm sure. Good luck.

Kia ora, Nice boat.
Good job getting the 2050 it will be awesome and good job on getting the kicker. That is plenty of boat for taking off the west coast of Vancouver Island. You just need to get comfortable with operating it in different sea conditions and understand what weather to take it out in. And when to stay on the inside.

Have been thinking my next boat might be smaller. Really like the Stabicraft 1550 Frontier. Would be great for jigging with a Minnkota Teranova.

While you are waiting for your new boat to arrive get the Navionics app on your phone and you can start planning where you will go on your adventures.

Cheers and welcome to the Forum.
Kia ora, to you and thanks for the welcome.

I'll check out the App you mentioned, yes I'm sure it will take some time to get comfortable with the boat and to know my limits while learning.

The Stabi 1550 Frontier looks amazing.

David

Last edited:
I'd be wary towing that boat with a Tacoma. Read deeper than the "maximum tow" number you see in advertising. Depending on vehicle options it's likely your payload will only be about 1000 lbs.

I used to tow a significantly smaller boat than your Stabi with my Toyota and on mountain roads and descents it was maxed.

Unless you're only planning "just down the road" to the boat ramp, I'd get a real tow vehicle. ¾ ton.

Oh, and super nice boat! You'll have a blast on that I'm sure. Good luck.
Apologies for the late reply and thank you for the info regarding your experience with the Tacoma, I've been studying the trailering situation and am almost ready to post some questions regarding this topic. (I'll post under a different thread.)

Are you are suggesting that a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 V6 would not perform well towing the Stabi 2050?

Stabicraft lists the tow weight of approx. 1,500KGs (3,300lb)? what that includes I do not know for sure.

BTW what Tacoma did you have, as there are many different options and trims available?

I found the following info on the web, showing current models, the towing capacities from a low of 3,500lbs to about 6,800lbs
  • Tacoma SR5 4×2 Access Cab, 4-Cylinder: 3,500 lbs towing; 1,685 lbs payload
  • Tacoma TRD Sport 4×4 Double Cab, V6: 6,400 lbs towing; 1,155 lbs payload

Another option is the Toyota Tundra which has about 11,000lb tow capacity and that would definitely be adequate.

My preference would be that the tow vehicle would be my daily driver as I'd prefer not insuring and parking/storing a truck I might use 8-10 times a year and I already have too many vehicles at my property.

David.

Apologies for the late reply and thank you for the info regarding your experience with the Tacoma, I've been studying the trailering situation and am almost ready to post some questions regarding this topic. (I'll post under a different thread.)

Are you are suggesting that a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 V6 would not perform well towing the Stabi 2050?

Stabicraft lists the tow weight of approx. 1,500KGs (3,300lb)? what that includes I do not know for sure.

BTW what Tacoma did you have, as there are many different options and trims available?

I found the following info on the web, showing current models, the towing capacities from a low of 3,500lbs to about 6,800lbs
  • Tacoma SR5 4×2 Access Cab, 4-Cylinder: 3,500 lbs towing; 1,685 lbs payload
  • Tacoma TRD Sport 4×4 Double Cab, V6: 6,400 lbs towing; 1,155 lbs payload

Another option is the Toyota Tundra which has about 11,000lb tow capacity and that would definitely be adequate.

My preference would be that the tow vehicle would be my daily driver as I'd prefer not insuring and parking/storing a truck I might use 8-10 times a year and I already have too many vehicles at my property.

David.
I tow a Campion 542 that has a tow weight around 3500lbs I believe and it does pretty good.. wouldn't want to do any long trips up and down mountains though.

Sorry yes, not sure how that didn't get in there. It's a 2011, 4 door 4x4.
OK thanks for clarifying, so would the type of trailer make any difference at all?

Aluminum versus Galvanized Steel, tandem axle versus single axle, torsion axles versus standard axles with springs, surge brakes versus electric brakes.

Or is it just the weight of the boat and trailer pushing the smaller truck around regardless of what trailer it's on.

I'm getting that I probably need to get a larger tow vehicle if I'm going to be heading out of town, but I'm sure I'll only be using the boat locally for the first season anyways.

Reason I ask about the trailer is I was looking at buying a higher load rating and a better quality tandem trailer as I've heard they will tow better than a budget trailer.

David

Last edited:
OK thanks for clarifying, so would the type of trailer make any difference at all?

Aluminum versus Galvanized Steel, tandem axle versus single axle, torsion axles versus standard axles with springs, surge brakes versus electric brakes.

Or is it just the weight of the boat and trailer pushing the smaller truck around regardless of what trailer it's on.

I'm getting that I probably need to get a larger tow vehicle if I'm going to be heading out of town, but I'm sure I'll only be using the boat locally for the first season anyways.

Reason ask about the trailer is I was looking at buying a higher load rating and a better quality tandem trailer as I've heard they will tow better than a budget trailer.

David
I used to tow a dual axle toy hauler with a Nissan Frontier with their standard tow package. As long as your Tacoma has the tow package it should be pretty good.

Disk brakes for sure.

My new trailer a load rite is aluminum, dual axle, electric over hydraulic (eoh) disc brakes and torsion axles. Likely overkill for your boat but eoh would sure make it easy to brake. They almost only have eoh for 5000lb and up boat carrying capacity trailers and it is about a 2k option so hard to find on smaller.

If you are towing the cut, Malahat, cocahala, alberni to Tofino, or even up to port hardy than dual axle is pretty nice, as it is when you have a flat pulling your boat out of the water and changing it, dual is nice. Ask me how I know.

Everyone likes Tuff, mine is a Loadrite, I know Norm at Marineone sells loadrite as does Pearson marine, but you’ll get better service from your dealer than them.

Back