Jumper on Lion's Gate Bridge today

salty-dog

I was sitting here just now listening to my VHF radio when the Coast Guard came on channel 16 asking for any mariners in the area to be on the look out for a jumper on Lion's Gate. Over 10 minutes have passed and no one has replied to being in that area. Surely they are sending a boat or six to look for a body.

The radio call describes the jumper as a white male. So, if they don't find a body today, don't be surprised if anyone tarveling by boat in the area does. Keep a look out.

If I catch any more details, I'll post them.

Terrible, I noticed yesterday mid bridge there is a phone for this purpose. How bad can it be?

His post made me chuckle BB.

It is a sad situation and it happens all the time. I grew fishing many hours under that bridge and more than once seen someone jump.

Terrible, I noticed yesterday mid bridge there is a phone for this purpose. How bad can it be?

I installed those Crisis Line phone boxes.....the center span box on west side, right beside the box was some guy's last written thoughts on the rail...pretty sobering to imagine being that guy.

It is indeed very sad and a pretty harsh inditement on our society when someone's anguish and dispair is so deep they contemplate ending their life. I'm afraid I have to agree with BigBruce, it's not really appropriate to make jokes about it. May the poor soul's spirit find peace at last. My 2 cents

Didn't see anything on the news about it last night......was it a confirmed case?

You don't hear about TONS of them anywhere in the media unless it causes a massive traffic snarl similar to what happened on Second Narrows bridge a couple of summers back.

I live right near Burrard Bridge and there are occasional jumpers off there such as last spring when we were headed out for some big event on the water. I only knew as I saw all the police boats under the bridge in the morning and it was pretty evident what happened.

the media for a good reason me thinks does not seem to exploit these tragedies. i hear them quite often on the radio and have been involved in two searches at second narrows.

I've not heard anything new since the radio request went out yesterday. Didn't watch the news last night either. If they did not broadcast it, it may be for several reasons. My wife seems to think it is not newsworthy as it is fairly common. It could also be that it would give other the idea to do it, too or save the family from further dispair, body not found yet, or even CG got a false report of a jumper.We may never know. Boaters in the area should still keep an eye out, though as you certainly would not want to run over a body with your boat.

That is somebodies loved one so joking about it publicly is in bad taste. I am a fireman in Vancouver and sadly I have been to a few skytrain jumpers just as many guys on the job have been to different types of suicides. And no it is not newsworthy because sadly it is all too common. It is only newsworthy for traffic reports. And yes it does get discussed and debriefed after we come back from these calls and yes the black humour can come out, first responders way of dealing with an ugly scene. But like a tell the young guys on the job any discussion goes on behind closed doors.

That's disturbing that it is a lot more common than we think.

It's even more disturbing that the powers that be would rather sweep the incident under the carpet than have it out in the open.

If it is made public, the public does not need to know who it actually is.......names can be with-held by request.

Am I correct or did they not try to jump-proof the Goldengate in San Francisco with fencing?

I see they were quick to stick a fence up around the Ogden Point Breakwater in Victoria....although it was more about liability/lawsuits than attempted suicides.

Problem is Seafever if they advertise it by putting it out there in the media more people thinking about it might try. Especially if they know it could end what they are suffering from. I only ever seen one guy alive after hitting the water under Lions Gate Bridge.

Ever notice they put jump guards on bridges over railway tracks to stop jumpers.

I think they did fence the GG bridge in Frisco some years back. It's been a decade or better since I crossed it and I don't recall seeing any fencing but common sense would have it to place the fence lower than travel lane level. Maybe its viewable from below. That's a place I've never been. In the Bay yes, but not under the bridge.

Seattle's Space Needle is fenced as it was a hot spot for jumpers.

Think they'll fence the Lion's Gate??

Back