JET BOATS

Sea Chaser

Crew Member
Buddy of mine is looking to get a jet boat 20-24 ft range. I’m no help with the questions he has so hoping some of you guys can chime in.
Good brands?
Brands to avoid ?
What to look for etc .
he’s been looking at Thunder jet, custom weld, king fisher and boulton

Any of the brands you listed are decent deep river boats. Most boats in that size range are running various type of gm small block v8. Hamilton 212 is the golden standard for a pump. I would avoid an American Turbine pump myself.

I used to own a Firefish sled myself, they are out of Alberta, and are known for heavy duty shallow water boats. If he's only on the Fraser and Harrison it might be a bit overkill, but I would still check them out, plenty of rocks to hit on any river lol. Outlaw boats out of Alberta builds a similar product as well and are well respected.

There are a lot of different brands... all very good I am sure. My experience is with Outlaw and Weldcraft. The best one is always the one you own LOL but honestly they're all good. Preferably go with an established company who will be around during the tenure of ownership! The question is... what type of hull and power; therein lies the big choice or choices?. Also know that jets are hard (very hard) on fuel but if that's not an issue they are a good platform. Your friend has to decide if he wants something more comfortable on a river (flatter bottom for shallows) or with a deeper V hull for open water? Mine is sort of a compromise with a 14 degree hull (still slaps in heavy chop, although to be honest most aluminum boats have that tendency... most, not all "caveat" LOL). I can also run rivers with this hull just not super shallow (6 inches on step... like I said... it is a compromise). Does the person want a pressure pump (American Turbine great speed) or a volume pump (Hamilton: a bit slower with better rough water performance... as in less thrust-loss due to gulping air)? What sort of power; V8, V6, or a light sport jet for "skinny water"? (Sport jets are usually on smaller river boats and fibreglass offerings so likely not a consideration in this case). You will find too that even though there are different brands of boats they only have a few pumps to choose from (AT, Scott, HAM, Kodiak et al). Also a diverter (ability to move the output vertically) is really handy as it allows trimming when moving loads (people) around in the boat while underway. I will stop there but would be happy to "chime in" if there are specifics i.e. hull thickness; position of fuel tanks and on and on... Best of luck!!

Back