ISO 14' Jon Boat

Daveroo

I am thinking of getting a second small Jon boat for freshwater fishing. My Campion is too big for some of the smaller lakes I want to fish in. With the 10HP restrictions of many lakes, here is what I am looking for:
14' Jon boat, preferably 40"-48" bottom width
8 or 9.9 HP 4 stroke engine
Anyone got something let me know or PM me.

If that does not pan out I would be open to a tinny of similar size and specs.

Just my two-cents but ... 8-9.9hp is way under powered for a 14’ Jon. While the flat bottom of a Jon gives a lot of floor room and are super stable, the trade off is in a LOT of drag due to the increased surface area compared to a comparable V-hull. Those smaller output motors will get the job done but most folks I know wont go smaller than 15hp for a 14’ Jon, w/ 20-30 hp much more common.

Wrt hp restrictions, folks usually have an electric to use on those lakes - restriction is use or operation of motor exceeding limit, so folks disconnect fuel hose and tilt out of water and simply use the kicker or electric (I’ve personally never had any issues doing this, nor has anyone I know and a bunch of us have 14’ Jon’s w/ 20+ hp). Depending on where you are there’s also the issue of getting a larger, trailered Jon launched on smaller restricted lakes ... here in the Interior many of the small Stillwater’s leave a LOT to be desired in the boat launch category (ie a royal PITA for trailer boats). On the flip side, no shortage of high quality stillwaters w/o the restrictions.

Any way, something to ponder. Good luck with your search, 14’ Jon’s are fantastic Stillwater and river boats.

Cheers!

Ukee

Just my two-cents but ... 8-9.9hp is way under powered for a 14’ Jon. While the flat bottom of a Jon gives a lot of floor room and are super stable, the trade off is in a LOT of drag due to the increased surface area compared to a comparable V-hull. Those smaller output motors will get the job done but most folks I know wont go smaller than 15hp for a 14’ Jon, w/ 20-30 hp much more common.

Wrt hp restrictions, folks usually have an electric to use on those lakes - restriction is use or operation of motor exceeding limit, so folks disconnect fuel hose and tilt out of water and simply use the kicker or electric (I’ve personally never had any issues doing this, nor has anyone I know and a bunch of us have 14’ Jon’s w/ 20+ hp). Depending on where you are there’s also the issue of getting a larger, trailered Jon launched on smaller restricted lakes ... here in the Interior many of the small Stillwater’s leave a LOT to be desired in the boat launch category (ie a royal PITA for trailer boats). On the flip side, no shortage of high quality stillwaters w/o the restrictions.

Any way, something to ponder. Good luck with your search, 14’ Jon’s are fantastic Stillwater and river boats.

Cheers!

Ukee
Thanks for the feedback Ukee. I am in the Lower Mainland, so at this time it will be mostly lakes around here, but I want to explore the Okanagan a bit more next year and would consider using it out there. The reason I am looking at a 14' is because there would be 2 or 3 of us fishing sometimes, and the 12' and under are too small for that. With respect to launching, I know it may be a compromise because a trailered 14' is cumbersome to launch in a small body of water, but it is back to that capacity issue again. I know it would be great to have a smaller Jon that I can manage myself, but that is not in the cards.

For up to 3 people I think (again, just my personal opinion) you’ll want to seriously consider a 20+ w/ an electric for those times there’s a hp restriction, while not handicapping yourself all the time there’s not. I fully agree that the smaller 10-12 footers are really one person boats and feel very small with two large guys by the end of a long day!

Cheers!

Cheers!

Ukee
Good Points about the Electric motor and larger main that's what I'd do to. However, I was always under the impression that a flat bottomed boat actually required LESS HP to plane than same sized Deep Vee (think Surface area and planning area). Deep vee always wants to "fall" off step.

Ukee correct, the 14 Jon would be a serious dog with a 9.9 even with a low pitch prop, but if you keep her light the 9.9 will get you around solo (slowly) IF the low HP is a must. The Jon will outperform a same-sized "v" hull with same HP in flat conditions every time because its a more efficient planning surface.

https://www.boats.com/boat-buyers-guide/boat-hull-shapes-designs-options/

Sounds like a fun project I'm jealous.

Ya but I have 14 ft g3 Jon boat with a 25 mercury and I can almost take off
LOL. For the lakes I intend to fish in with this boat there probably is not enough runway to achieve takeoff.

Browsing through YouTube there seems to be quite a few guys going 20+mph with a 9.9 on a 14' Jon. I know they have only 1 or 2 people in these videos, but I just want to slowly putter around and fish off the shore. If the lake is big I would be fishing out of my real boat, the Campion.

Back