Islander TR3 reel

I was just in Mexico and managed to get out on a panga for a quick fish. Didn't really get into the fish like I was hoping but I can tell you the one fish I caught felt like garbage on the bottom fishing set up. Have found the same thing fishing for tuna of our coast. Nothing will compare to the feel of a single action reel. Some one needs to develop a single action style for bottom fishing or tuna,

I was just in Mexico and managed to get out on a panga for a quick fish. Didn't really get into the fish like I was hoping but I can tell you the one fish I caught felt like garbage on the bottom fishing set up. Have found the same thing fishing for tuna of our coast. Nothing will compare to the feel of a single action reel. Some one needs to develop a single action style for bottom fishing or tuna,

i have and old 6" arbor peetz with a fold out handle extension. still has steel line on it.

I understand why they went that route. The reel if you look at will fit on there current CNC manufacturing process with there current reels. They just added a few steps. The face is the same except for added ports in front which are a few extra machining steps. The drag knob looks like same geometry with small changes. The handles are the same that are used on other reels. It also looks like they addressed the big issue that has haunted there customer. They fixed the drag system and I dont have one if front of me but I suspect it might be a ***** to make. As far as price. Well people are buying thousand dollar Abels aren't they?

You know most commented on price aren't even going to buy a reel past $600.00. Islander just like Abels are a specific market and specific customer. Its a small portion of the market, but they will sell. I think islander would be OK with that. This isn't the only reels they sell, and suspect they have been cautious of adding anything. Remember JS foster who owns islander business has many fronts reels, prototyping, and solar LED pedestrian crosswalks. I have dealt with them in product development for years and I remember years ago when they toyed the idea of making the reel it was side project.

They also have their machining and prototype competitor that took on the wise buys reels last year, and this could be a response to that. I still think I would liked to see a completely new real with left/right hand interchanging and the free spool but that is just me.

I think the free spool question is easy to answer. If you open up an MR2 you will see a cam linked to the free spool lever and a SINGLE anti reverse dog. If you open up a MR3 you will see TWO anti reverse dogs. Over the years I have had the anti reverse dog on a MR2 fail a few time or get sticky. I believe that islander went to the double dog setup because it is more reliable and that is how all of their fly reels are setup. To make a double dog setup disengage from the drag plate would require a bunch more linkages and failure points plus cost.

I think the free spool question is easy to answer. If you open up an MR2 you will see a cam linked to the free spool lever and a SINGLE anti reverse dog. If you open up a MR3 you will see TWO anti reverse dogs. Over the years I have had the anti reverse dog on a MR2 fail a few time or get sticky. I believe that islander went to the double dog setup because it is more reliable and that is how all of their fly reels are setup. To make a double dog setup disengage from the drag plate would require a bunch more linkages and failure points plus cost.

Interesting. There ought to be a way to do it though, such as a push button on the drag wheel or something. But I'll leave the reel design up to Islander

Sportfishing is purely for fun. If you wanted to efficiently bring as many fish to the boat as possible you'd be fishing commercially, and if you wanted to get the most fish for your buck, you'd buy them. With a Single action, you can lower the drag significantly and play a fish by palming the reel, while still maintaining the ability to reel without it "spinning out". It also adds a level of challenge, where you can lose a fish by not paying attention. You are directly connected to the fish, the drag only kicks in when you let your hand off the reel. This is what sport-fishing is all about. I wouldn't trade my single action reels for level-winds, with the exception being halibut and bottom fishing.
You are agreeing with the thrust of my post: there's no practical reason for the use of single action reels for salmon fishing, they just feel better. I'm not knocking your choice of reel either; as I said, I have an MR3 myself and I like it fine.

Back