Islander TR3 reel

Dropped my MR3 off at Islander a couple of weeks ago to have it serviced. I mentioned the "creep" issue. The lady I talked to said that these reels were made for mooching rather than trolling. Explained a bit to me as most of us complaining of the creep are using these reels for trolling rather than mooching - something they were not designed for. Notice the new reel is a TR (trolling reel) rather than an MR (mooching reel). I have to wonder how the TR3 would stack up against the Able folks here were talking about a couple of weeks ago.

Was she new there like come on. Everyone has been using these reels for 20 years for trolling. They are trying to save face and not warranty thousands of reels with line creep.. My MR-2 has no line creep and has been a great reel. I also hope they read this thread and listen to what there customers are telling them. The new reel looks nice but again has no free spool and again there not listening to what the customer is telling them ???

No offense to Islanders, as its great to have local companies still producing their products at home (and not in China). It just seems a little ballsy to charge a 50% premium to correct long standing reliability issues on their already pricey reels. It's great that they've corrected their line creep and bearing issues, but it seems for the money they are charging these fixes should be incorporated into all their mooching reels. To expect their loyal customers to now have to shell out over a grand (with taxes) to have these issues corrected seems a bit much to me. Yes its a nice looking new reel, but should you really have to pay such a steep premium to correct reliability issues that should have been fixed years ago. Sorry if I've offended all the big Islander fans, but that's just my opinion.

People seem to pay it so they seem to charge what ever.

People seem to pay it so they seem to charge what ever.
Sad, but true. Very poor justification for not upgrading their mooching reels though. I'm sure 90% of their mooching reels are used for Downrigger fishing, not mooching. It's a pretty lame cop out to say people are not using them in the way they were intended. I'm sure they have known full well for many years that these reels are primarily use for trolling with Downriggers. The drags should have been upgraded years ago.

Funny stuff all around. I'll keep my mr2s. What would be really cool is if they brought these drags out for a small increase. 900$ for a mooching reel give me a break. I like Canadian manufacturers but it's a little much. You can buy super high end big game reels for less than that...... It will be interesting to see how much longer the ceramic bearings will last...I don't think the ss ones were dying of corrosion. It was because they were being over stressed like the pinion bearing in an avet......

At the boat show, a retailer told me that Islander was after the Abel crowd, hence the 900+- price range. As well, the cork drag is apparently replaced by a ceramic disc that will not creep? No free spool, which I complained about. I like the "set it and forget it" mentality when it comes to the drag, so a free spool would have been a good addition.

In the Islander ad, they do claim an MR3 will straighten a hook with the drag at full tension. I know at the lodges, the MR2 are not serviced as they should be and they do creep often.

The entire single-action reel market here in BC is about aesthetics and tradition rather than practicality. Americans and Brits ask why we fish for salmon with what they perceive to be fly reels, and really there's no good answer other than "we've always done it this way," or "because those reels feel good when a fish is on." I've caught my share of salmon with single action reels, and I have an MR3 of my own, but I've also caught plenty with conventional overhead reels and they work just fine. Sure, I like the smooth controlled drag of the MR3 and appreciate the beautiful craftsmanship and finish, it's a possession that makes me happy. But my level wind Shimano makes me just as happy when I pull in a nice spring or feisty coho with it. I like it even better when fishing deep and the clip pops or a fish gets off, much faster to retrieve than the knuckle busters.

Not much point complaining about Islander pricing, they make and price their product with aesthetics above all else. They're appealing to tradition, feel, national pride and our perception of beauty, all in one fishing reel. You either buy into the concept or you don't. Just ask the guys running marketing at Harley Davidson how it works - to me it's an overpriced, overweight bike that's much more show than go. But millions adore or covet Harleys above all else, because they bought into the idea. That marketing dept are absolutely brilliant, they've built one of the best known, emotionally powerful brand images on earth despite their product's shortcomings. Islander have built their brand along similar lines.

yes, the correct fix would be a new clutch/drag assembly which i am sure all the islander owners would be happy to pay "cost" for the upgrade. whats a 100.00 to make it right ?

read this islander.

yes, the correct fix would be a new clutch/drag assembly which i am sure all the islander owners would be happy to pay "cost" for the upgrade. whats a 100.00 to make it right ?

read this islander.
I personally would be happy to pay for this. They don't have to warranty anything or admit fault. Just offer us an upgrade.

I made an earlier comment on the "Abel" reel topic about we all decide at some point how much we're willing to pay for our gear(boats,motors,rods,reels). It seems from the comments here that we may have reached our limit on how much we're willing to pay for a single action reel.

I love my Islander reel. The drag on it is awesome. The Trophy reel I have has a finicky drag when you want to drop your lines down. It can turn into a birds nest in a slight turn of the drag lol.. And yes I service it often. Islander you can back off the drag all the way and it never free wheels. Ya costly, Thinking of selling my Trophy Rod and Reel. Nice looking combo.. Blue Anodized Reel with blue on the Rod too

The entire single-action reel market here in BC is about aesthetics and tradition rather than practicality. Americans and Brits ask why we fish for salmon with what they perceive to be fly reels, and really there's no good answer other than "we've always done it this way," or "because those reels feel good when a fish is on." I've caught my share of salmon with single action reels, and I have an MR3 of my own, but I've also caught plenty with conventional overhead reels and they work just fine. Sure, I like the smooth controlled drag of the MR3 and appreciate the beautiful craftsmanship and finish, it's a possession that makes me happy. But my level wind Shimano makes me just as happy when I pull in a nice spring or feisty coho with it. I like it even better when fishing deep and the clip pops or a fish gets off, much faster to retrieve than the knuckle busters.

Not much point complaining about Islander pricing, they make and price their product with aesthetics above all else. They're appealing to tradition, feel, national pride and our perception of beauty, all in one fishing reel. You either buy into the concept or you don't. Just ask the guys running marketing at Harley Davidson how it works - to me it's an overpriced, overweight bike that's much more show than go. But millions adore or covet Harleys above all else, because they bought into the idea. That marketing dept are absolutely brilliant, they've built one of the best known, emotionally powerful brand images on earth despite their product's shortcomings. Islander have built their brand along similar lines.

To each their own. I disagree.

Please explain then the practical reasons single action reels are the normal equipment for salmon fishing in BC. I might have missed some good reasons for their apparent supremacy and will be happy to consider and discuss.

IF you haven't rapped your Knuckle with a " Knuckle Buster" lol.. You haven't West Coast salmon fished lol... I have level wined reels. There for bottom fish.. But to each there own!!!

Please explain then the practical reasons single action reels are the normal equipment for salmon fishing in BC. I might have missed some good reasons for their apparent supremacy and will be happy to consider and discuss.

Supremacy was not mentioned in his reply. He merely disagreed with you.

Sportfishing is purely for fun. If you wanted to efficiently bring as many fish to the boat as possible you'd be fishing commercially, and if you wanted to get the most fish for your buck, you'd buy them. With a Single action, you can lower the drag significantly and play a fish by palming the reel, while still maintaining the ability to reel without it "spinning out". It also adds a level of challenge, where you can lose a fish by not paying attention. You are directly connected to the fish, the drag only kicks in when you let your hand off the reel. This is what sport-fishing is all about. I wouldn't trade my single action reels for level-winds, with the exception being halibut and bottom fishing.

Back