islander or rapala

anybody that's interested, Berry's has the Trophy reels on sale April 11-17th
Trophy XL $199
Tyee QR4.5 $249.99

Hey rs.....do you recall if this was what they did last year and then drop the QR another $50 for Father's Day sale?

I know you had mentioned the Fathers Day sale last year and had corrected the flyer as they QR's were actually going for $199 instead of $249; I got one last year to try out.

Ross makes good reels. I wonder if the drag on the 12 wt could handle long term downrigger use?

I would think so. i have heard of lots of guys using 11-12 wt fly reels for chinook. House of Hardy reels are nice too, mine has never failed me in 15 some odd years!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree the MR3 might not be totally worth the price, but for us who reel left hand, that is the only option unless you want a Shimano, Diawa or Okuma. I'd rather use my large arbor 10 weight fly reel instead of my 4000 GT. The GT is decent for the price but has no feel or finesse and is clunky.

when you buy a high end saltwater fly reel, you are paying the bucks to insure that the drag starts smoothly and without hesitation. these drags, for big trophy sized fish (that ain't salmon), are commonly set from 2.5#s to 4.5#s. i suggest you pull out a digital fish scale and see what that feels like straight off the reel. the interesting question is what drag setting do you have to have to avoid creep on a downrigger, humm, have to measure that next time out, or one of you can post the results.

so can a saltwater fly reel handle salmon??? easily. but i spent 90bucks and bought a shimano 2000st, big and ugly, 'cause its going to get abused.

Back