Island sports fishing best in years — chinook catch ‘spectacular’

2xeagle16

Surprised no one has commented on this front page news story - "Island sports fishing best in years chinook catch ‘spectacular’. According to the stats 3200 chinook were caught off Victoria in the last month (??!!) There were many days no one was out fishing with the big winds, so the average would be around 130 -150 chinook a day. I heard of one well known fishing guide that moved his boat to Sooke - because the fishing was so bad off Victoria.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...-in-years-chinook-catch-spectacular-1.1262288

Last edited by a moderator:
The Chamber of Commerce, The Media, and the Tourism Board will invent any b.s. they can think of to get the tourists here......

It's also amazing that Island Outfitters online fishing report rates the fishing off Victoria and Oak Bay as ' fair , spotty or slow" in the last month.

I wonder where they get the numbers from ??
3200 Chinook as opposed to 2900 last year , what's this based on ??
more spin

It's certainly not been my experience that the fishing around Esquimalt is better this year than last. Not even close IMO.
I've had one good day in my boat this summer. Should be better than it is now. Spotty is the word.

I'll also mention that I rarely read the T/C anymore. Anytime I read a story where I have knowledge of what actually happened, what they were spewing as fact was very distorted at best.

So tourism is bad then in your guys opinion? THat was 100% a tourism piece. And its good everyone involved even though it may be a bit emblished.

Tourism is good, lying to the public in an effort to get their money is not good, actually it's unethical. I'd be pretty damn pissed if I read that article and then hired a Victoria charter. Fishing off Victoria isn't the best it's been in years, in fact it's the worst it's been in years.

I guess when no one is travelling to the island as half empty ferries prove they are desperate to find any story to entice people over.

Its just a tourism thing I am not going to say its a bad fishing year as we aren't even past summer yet.... But so far its been same As last year...Although I thought June was better in Sooke area so far...But you never know... I would say talking to guys that fish Vic area is it has been slower than last year... Ask Craven.

Tourism is good, lying to the public in an effort to get their money is not good, actually it's unethical. I'd be pretty damn pissed if I read that article and then hired a Victoria charter. Fishing off Victoria isn't the best it's been in years, in fact it's the worst it's been in years.

Poppa Swiss hit the nail on the head. If Island outfitters will lie to fill their boats with unknowing tourists , what else will they do to take your money? very dumb move.

beemer

"I'll also mention that I rarely read the T/C anymore. Anytime I read a story where I have knowledge of what actually happened, what they were spewing as fact was very distorted at best." Very well said, Kildonan! However, the distortion you speak of is not limited to the TC.
T2

Poppa Swiss hit the nail on the head. If Island outfitters will lie to fill their boats with unknowing tourists , what else will they do to take your money? very dumb move.

beemer

Well I don't think outfitters was quoted in the "article"? And let's be honest the fishing report is just as much about pushing tackle as it is about giving an actual fishign report, but I don't think outfitter's lies about it being hot when it's not.

TC is garbage, basically they took a lame press release that probably submitted by oak bay marine group and just ran it as a news story. What a joke of a paper.

beemer
Haters gotta hate. Since when is "fair , spotty or slow", exaggerating the catch. The I.O. sponsored radio report at ~ 0430 a.m. certainly isn't pumping up anything. So bark up the right tree.(no pun intended).
I can pretty much guarantee you that if you phone up any shops in Campbell River, the fishing will be "Great", and it is, but maybe the catching, not so much.

For some reason this year...the word "epic" has been bandied around by different factions as if this was the greatest fishest year the world has ever seen bar none off and around Vancouver Island.

The whole thing started way back in the beginning of the year with off-the-chart predictions by mystics, prophets, armchair-scientists and those that have a vested interest in fishermen's wallets.

I read all the posts submitted on fishing around the island everyday on this site.

I'm not seeing "epic" as predicted yet.

The words "iffy', 'spotty" and "strange" come to mind.....so far......

It has been pretty good for some individuals in certain places............that said, I'm reading more 'skunked" posts than ever.....

I think the mistake the factions made was pre-predicting what the year would be like......

Predicting the future seems to be very popular these days.......by scientists and laypeople alike.

But just like the weather predictions, they are often wrong.

Well I don't think outfitters was quoted in the "article"? And let's be honest the fishing report is just as much about pushing tackle as it is about giving an actual fishign report, but I don't think outfitter's lies about it being hot when it's not.

TC is garbage, basically they took a lame press release that probably submitted by oak bay marine group and just ran it as a news story. What a joke of a paper.

“We have had a really great return to the waterfront so far this year. I’m really impressed,” said Darren Wright, co-owner of Island Outfitters on Douglas Street. “It seems like there’s a lot of chinook coming in right off the waterfront.” - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...ch-spectacular-1.1262288#sthash.9LOWlgNj.dpuf

Report was on CTV news tonight.. Same report as the TC.. Only covering the waterfront.. As i only fish the waterfront in the winter time i can't comment.. But from the Victoria report from some very good fisherman it would seem there not jumping in the boat.

Yep...watched the CTV news report....

According to them:- "it's smoking hot everywhere around Vancouver Island for salmon...and nowhere is it hotter than Campbell River where 7000 fish have been caught in the last month. This bodes well for the commercial fishers. All the fish are in the mid-teens on up to 30lb........there is a shortage of smaller 8-to-12lb fish"

Back