Island Fires

ffs, booked ferries for 5th-11th.
Much more importantly, local folks must be fed right up. Way more than just inconvenient for some.

This is tough one. That mesh solution is a bandaid. You have a mesh that acts like a sail everytime it blows up in afternoon along Cameron Lake. I am sure there will be handfuls of delays while they figure it out. I have my doubts honestly with those cranes holding it. Looks sketchy with any wind. Blows pretty good though that section.

I would plan ahead next few weeks to be safe if it were me if your towing boat and coming over here from mainland. Never know as this has been a gongshow.

I am sure locals are happy they could at least get back to normal a bit.

This is tough one. That mesh solution is a bandaid. You have a mesh that acts like a sail everytime it blows up in afternoon along Cameron Lake. I am sure there will be handfuls of delays while they figure it out. I have my doubts honestly with those cranes holding it. Looks sketchy with any wind. Blows pretty good though that section.

I would plan ahead next few weeks to be safe if it were me if your towing boat and coming over here from mainland. Never know as this has been a gongshow.

I am sure locals are happy they could at least get back to normal a bit.
It blows westerly along that lake almost every afternoon. If i was towing my boat thru there i would plan on trying to get thru there before noon

Heads up boys. Just did a 24hr down and back trip to Port Hardy. Apparently CVSE is pretty keen on doing their jobs just outside of Coombs. Make sure everything you’re towing is legit. They’re chasing down just about everyone they think might have something they consider unsafe. We did ok and made it through but I’ve had physical exams that weren’t as thorough. There was more than a couple over size boats pulled over that they wouldn’t let through plus looked like they were doing a fine job of hassling the locals with utility trailers. At least the guy we spoke with said they’re being real a$$holes.

Just an FYI for you all, we were going to be running the boat across and have it towed from Nanaimo to Port and we just found out the maximum width allowed through is 8'4" or something like until at least July 7th so we out of caution have changed our plans. Still going and we will have one boat coming from Tofino which is our buddy's who is joining us and have arranged for a guide boat from the lodge.

Who knows what beyond July 7th looks like.

31' boat is almost 10' across and then you have the semi trailer to tow it so we are erring on the side of caution.

I went though there about 6 Thursday night and waited 5-10 minutes. Came home Sunday about 10am and never stopped till I got to Nanaimo at 1 light.

I went though there about 6 Thursday night and waited 5-10 minutes. Came home Sunday about 10am and never stopped till I got to Nanaimo at 1 light.

Damn Lucky. Sure as hell wasn't what I experienced by any means! Traffic was literally backed up both directions for many MANY miles!

Damn Lucky. Sure as hell wasn't what I experienced by any means! Traffic was literally backed up both directions for many MANY miles!
Yes, we were very lucky from the reports we were getting. Think it helped that most people took the Monday off instead of the Friday off for the holiday. Going back up this Friday and see what happens, will probably pay dearly for our luck last weekend.

Back