Island Fires

I’m assuming that we are not the only group being impacted by the highway closure into Port Alberni which from what I understand might be until June 24 at the earliest??
Booked into Bamfield on the 22nd but that looks like it’s not going to happen .Has anyone heard anything about a confirmed reopening date for the highway??
Screenshot_20230613-210437_Chrome.jpg

Are they going to be maintaining the alternative route still with grading and what not as well as the single lane? Also did they portion from port to bamfield ever get chip sealed?

They are trying.
But those roads were never designed to handle 500 to 1,000 vehicles a day (current traffic rate) including both logging trucks and commercial vehicles, and they well show it.
I fear imminent road failure if this keeps up.

BamBam to Port is largely a dust bowl of monstrous proportions just now. Not sealed obviously.

And that ain't so "cheery"...
Nog

With the fuel rationing going on are charters still running out of Uke and tofino? Ive had a number of people call that were booked to go fishing out that way but they are trying to make other plans. Don't want to be taking business from other guides if they can still operate so not sure whether to tell them to try and fly there or just make new plans.

With the fuel rationing going on are charters still running out of Uke and tofino? Ive had a number of people call that were booked to go fishing out that way but they are trying to make other plans. Don't want to be taking business from other guides if they can still operate so not sure whether to tell them to try and fly there or just make new plans.
Yes we have lots of fuel. There's no fuel rationing at the fuel dock. Don't believe Tofino had much for fuel issues period. They must have been more proactive knowing what was coming. I tip my cap Tofino leadership supporting their main economic driver.
Ukee are getting tankers out and in reality we don't go through a bunch of volume (might be 15 boats fishing a day).
40L per fill at the land pumps. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue. There doesn't seem to be much for visible issues anywhere but the media will happily tell you the place might burn down any minute.
Cancelled some single day stuff and almost all the afternoon trips (folks that aren't here specifically to fish). Ain't worth the hastle to fish a day in June in 3m seas right now. I haven't had any multis can their plans at this point. Fisherman are generally more stubborn than general tourists.

Yes we have lots of fuel. There's no fuel rationing at the fuel dock. Don't believe Tofino had much for fuel issues period. They must have been more proactive knowing what was coming. I tip my cap Tofino leadership supporting their main economic driver.
Ukee are getting tankers out and in reality we don't go through a bunch of volume (might be 15 boats fishing a day).
40L per fill at the land pumps. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue. There doesn't seem to be much for visible issues anywhere but the media will happily tell you the place might burn down any minute.
Cancelled some single day stuff and almost all the afternoon trips (folks that aren't here specifically to fish). Ain't worth the hastle to fish a day in June in 3m seas right now. I haven't had any multis can their plans at this point. Fisherman are generally more stubborn than general tourists.
Huh that's weird my daughter lives in Tofino and says there's no fuel in town....

They are trying.
But those roads were never designed to handle 500 to 1,000 vehicles a day (current traffic rate) including both logging trucks and commercial vehicles, and they well show it.
I fear imminent road failure if this keeps up.

BamBam to Port is largely a dust bowl of monstrous proportions just now. Not sealed obviously.

And that ain't so "cheery"...
Nog
Ugh, that sucks. We've had something like this a few times in Penticton when rock slides close hwy 97 north of Summerland. Logging roads aren't intended for the traffic that suddenly hits, nor are many of the vehicles that attempt the route. The extra traffic makes logging trucks a hazard so the working guys get shut down, through no fault of their own.

Hey, it's hard not to love that magnificent old plane. I've watched Mars fly on fires in the Okanagan since the early 90s, it is absolutely wonderful to behold that mammoth beast roaring at full noise off the lake surface with 30 tons of water taken on board in a few seconds. But a major fire isn't a historic air show put on for our viewing pleasure.

As humans we have a baked-in fear and respect for fire. We spend millions on city and rural fire departments, and comply with ever more complex fire codes because they save lives. So when a bush fire pops up, we expect that anything and everything will be done to extinguish it. Right. Now. That becomes even more imperative when the fire is close to values like homes and roads.

The expectation is that ALL resources must be flung into the battle - immediately, overwhelmingly, and without thought of cost. In BC, and especially on the Island, that expectation includes a 1945 wooden flying boat that hasn't fit into the provincial firefighting strategy in well over a decade. And so when the province just gets on with its normal system to deal with a relatively small fire without using the Mars or a converted 747, people's expectations aren't met.

Maybe BC Wildfire needs a Media Coordinator whose role is to score a fire in terms of media impact and direct resources to it in a media-appropriate manner. Keep the people happy.
I haven't seen a converted 747 yet. Any links?

Huh that's weird my daughter lives in Tofino and says there's no fuel in town....
Well that made me curious so I called Tofino. Gas station said they have and have had a good amount of regular gasoline. They did say they ran dry for part of a day at the beginning of the road closure but haven't been concerned since. She mentioned those that need premium will find inconsistent supply and should plan accordingly.

Edit: I filled in Ukee a minute ago. Clear diesel is the issue here apparently. The coop doesn't have it currently. They are dropping the maximum purchase on gas tomorrow.

Last edited:
Effective today BCWFS is recinding the campfire ban in areas of the interior because the weather forecast is for some rain. How many times the forecast has shown rain only to have it not materialize? WTF are they thinking? Should we not wait to see if it actually happens ? Dry as hell here in the Shuswap. Gotta keep the tourists happy at all costs I guess, absolute stupidity imo !

@sly_karma
great FACTS about aircraft that are effective! It is such a shame, so many islanders still buy into the conspiracy theories about the Mars bombers 😂. There just ain't no belief in them there peoples making decisions 🙃
There has to be some back room kick backs. The Martin Mars is still THE best ever water bomber ever used. There are plenty of parts available and those that aren't can now be made mostly with CNC machines very cheaply.

The aircraft has been used in mountainous terrain for decades. One load is the equivalent of 15 of those little aircraft or helicopters and is twice as fast. Those might work in small targeted areas but still they need many more pilots and air dumps to equal the Mars. Often that little amount of water dumped on raging fire is evaporated before ever hitting the burning fuel.

The difference between the Mars is a 747 vs a Cessna.

I am getting an idea for creating a fire fighting army, a group of highly paid fighters that can go world wide. 200 or so fire fighters. If fires are going to be more common then group like this could make millions+. Sad to think of a commercial angle but....

There has to be some back room kick backs. The Martin Mars is still THE best ever water bomber ever used. There are plenty of parts available and those that aren't can now be made mostly with CNC machines very cheaply.

The aircraft has been used in mountainous terrain for decades. One load is the equivalent of 15 of those little aircraft or helicopters and is twice as fast. Those might work in small targeted areas but still they need many more pilots and air dumps to equal the Mars. Often that little amount of water dumped on raging fire is evaporated before ever hitting the burning fuel.

I am getting an idea for creating a fire fighting army, a group of highly paid fighters that can go world wide. 200 or so fire fighters. If fires are going to be more common then group like this could make millions+. Sad to think of a commercial angle but....

You're literally just regurgitating all the usual fanboy taking points without stating any of the factual evidence as to why they are not used.

In the early 80s I worked for an outfit called “Global Fire Services” and we did just that. More national than international though. About 20 of us travelled the provinces in a half dozen old army 6x6 trucks carrying water tanks, pumps with water cannons and other fire suppression equipment. We’d show up and do fire mitigation to prevent further spread and then tackle the out of control blazes. Best job a guy in his mid 20s could ever have. Until the government stepped in and took over and wages went from $24 an hour to about half that. We shut down the year after that I’m not sure what happened to the equipment but the duece and a half was an excellent vehicle for the task. When we rolled into a town it seemed like almost a parade. Some of the best times of my life happened while doing that job.

Just buy a helicopter. Clear $1000-2000 a day fighting fires and bring it over to Australia during our winter time and do it all over again. I know pilots clearing $1000 a day and they don’t own the helicopter. It would be quite a racket if you owned the helicopter

Back