Beware of RoadRunner Trailers!!!

E

El Pescador

The first thing I have to say about those trailers is that I have owned a total of 3: one with single axle and two with tandem axles. In general, I found them well built and the quality of the materials is good.

So why the title of the post? Well, the problem I found with RoadRunner is not with the quality of the trailers, but rather with the poor quality control during assembly and their disgusting customer service.

Like many of you, I went on 2005 to the Vancouver Boat Show looking for good deals. I found at the show a tandem axle RoadRunner trailer with bearing buddies (actually, Fulton Bearing Protectors) and electric brakes. The price was better than similar trailers from other manufacturers; so I arranged for the purchase, and added as extras a spare tire, bunk guides, and a flush kit. I picked-up the trailer by the end of February 2005, then adjusted the axles and sometime in April or May I swapped a 22’ Double Eagle boat I bought at the end of 2004 from its old RoadRunner trailer (too flimsy for such heavy boat) to the new RoadRunner. I put the boat in the water twice to test it, and I did not like how the engine performed; and in addition I found that the transom was soft and the fuel tank was leaking. In short, I decided to skip the 2005 fishing season (boy, that was a tough decision!!!) and arranged for rebuilding the boat: new transom, floor, fuel tank, another engine, etc. The shop that did the fiberglass job is located in Port Alberni, and he did not finish until June 2006. I spent the summer installing the engine, redoing the wiring, etc, with the end result that I put the boat in the water twice: once for trials and two to go fishing. Then, in 2007, I put the boat in the water twice in May and then decided to take a trip from Ladysmith to Winter Harbour in mid-June. Unfortunately, I did not make even 100Km before I had to pull at one side of the road because of smoke coming out of one of the axle hubs. Had to get towed (truck and trailer with the boat on top) to Parksville, where a local shop found all 4 bearings ruined because of salt water ingress and having virtually no grease inside, just a light coat of green grease. I had to replace one axle and get all bearings replaced, plus one of the bearing buddies that went missing.

As I said, I have owned RoadRunners before (and other brands of trailers as well). Some had bearing buddies and some had just dust caps, but I never had a problem with either of them. I would have expected that a brand new trailer would come from factory ready to rock and roll but that was obviously not the case. When I contacted the guy who sold me the trailer at RoadRunner (Mike Malo is his name), he refused to take any responsibility and blamed it on lack of maintenance on my side, plus he also stated that the warranty was expired. I explained to him that the trailer was seldom used and put in the water no more 6-8 times since I bought it, that I always flushed the brakes after using it on the water, and also that it had about 1000 Km on the road. I also mentioned that the trailer should have been delivered witht he bearings properly packed. The guy not only did not acknowledge his fault, but also had the nerve of telling me that it was all my fault because I had to repack the bearings at least once a year, despite the fact that at the Bearing Buddys website they mention that once very 5 years is a reasonable interval provided the bearings had been properly packed. They obviously were not packed when the trailer was built: the bearings were dry and grease may dry out but it does not evaporate. At the shop where my trailer was repaired, I was warned that I would waste my time trying to get this Malo fellow to compensate me for some or all of the damages; apparently they have had or heard of some bad experiences with that fellow as well. And they were right: I got stuck with a hefty repair bill and lost two days of fishing.

So, if anyone reading this decides to buy a new RoadRunner trailer, I strongly advise you to ensure that the bearings are properly packed before you buy it. And remember that, in my own experience, customer service sucks!!!

I took some horrifying pictures showing the condition of bearings and hubs at the time the damage occurred. I would not mind uploading them (that is, if I can figure out how).

Well all I can say is lesson learned and if you want a job done right do it yourself!!! from past experience I check mine 2 to 3 times a year even when I am not using it. sitting is harder on a trailer than not using it as then the water will rust up the bearings.

Personally I would have checked them proior to going on ANY trip especially a long one. I own a RR and havent had a problem but then I do a matenance program just like my engines, I do feel sorry for you but one thing you got to remember when grease heats up to that degree it almost becomes like liquid and will squirt right out from the seals hence the lack of grease in there after it cooled back to a more solid state. truely sorry

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Well all I can say is lesson learned and if you want a job done right do it yourself!!! from past experience I check mine 2 to 3 times a year even when I am not using it. sitting is harder on a trailer than not using it as then the water will rust up the bearings.

Personally I would have checked them proior to going on ANY trip especially a long one. I own a RR and havent had a problem but then I do a matenance program just like my engines, I do feel sorry for you but one thing you got to remember when grease heats up to that degree it almost becomes like liquid and will squirt right out from the seals hence the lack of grease in there after it cooled back to a more solid state. truely sorry

Wolf

Wolf, perhaps a picture (or a few pictures) will speak a thousand words. Let's see if the link works.

http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii217/El_Pescador_2008/?albumview=grid

As you see, there was no grease in the bearings from day one!!! True, I probably should have checked, but I made the unforgievable mistake of believing that a trailer just coming out of factory would come with the bearings properly packed, especially when I paid for a trailer with bearing buddies which are not supposed to be opened for about 5 years according to the manufacturer!!!

As you may see, the condition of the bearings is unacceptable for a trailer that was purchased brand new and had been in the water 6-8 times.

Yes, I have learned my lesson. I just hope that this may help others not to fall in the same mistake of believing that they will get from RadRunner a trailer that is fit for road use. And when you call the manufacturer hoping that he will accept his share of responsibility, expect to hear something along the lines of "go and tell the marines". :(

I learned that lesson long ago as well. However, looks like Pescador is pretty committed to the cause and may have indeed had a case. Maybe the RR dealer should have considered both sides, what's the worst case for them - a little repair bill, towing charges?

I had a run-in with a rather well-known boat sales / repair shop in Victoria a few years ago (not naming names now as they may very well have new management and not deserve continued bad press.) I went in to have them remove my 9.9 yamaha, replace the bracket with a new one and put the outboard back on. Fully wired, throttle linkage to the front stearing etc. Clearly not coming off the boat at night.

Well, it came off the boat alright. First wave off Secretary, sploooosh. The unfortunate part was that I didn't loose it altogether, it hung on by the cables. We strapped it to the side of the boat like a halibut and trolled it in to Sooke basin until we could get in the water and lift it back on.

The shop told me that: I was in a rush and so they thought I was completing it myself (bill says "re and re") In fact I was on holidays and not going anywhere but fishing; fact was their yard was jammed to the point that they had to have my boat out of the way for the next morning.

Then they said they hadn't bolted it on because they don't know from one customer to the next who takes their kickers off at night (the frigin thing was as hard wired as could be.) Another excuse or two and I point out that they're givin me nothing but excuses. The service manager agrees and tells me he'll bring it up with the owner and get back to me.

I never heard from them again, and they've never heard from me since (I considered a lawsuit but didn't have the energy.) I wasn't expecting a complete replacement, maybe accept half of the responsibility? Maybe offer me a really good deal on a new one? Nope, nada.

I'll potentially spend upwards of $50,000 on outboards and service in my lifetime now and they'll miss out - even if I have to travel 50 miles away. I have told many. This was a very short-sighted decision on their part.

Yes that is very bad looks like there was some there but like I said sitting and none use just kills those thing because the seals tend to dry up a bit and salt only compounds the problem I would be mad at RR as well if it was brand new and that happened.

Wolf

Thanks El P. I respect your warning as I seen many post from you on other forums. You have been bang on with the advice you have given to all. I bought a new RR last August. I will be pulling it apart this spring to check the grease. I will post back to you the results from the teardown. It reminds me of the first new truck I bought back in the 80’s. One rear wheel darn near fell off within 500 miles. All other nuts were loose. Ruined the magnesium alloy wheel and the dealer said it was my fault. Fought like heck and wrote letters to many people in the dealership and parent company. Gave up when I was too tired to fight any more. I need to move on. Again thanks for the heads up and good luck with your fight. GLG

It does not look like there was grease packed in there in the first place. What about the bearing buddies? Did you check them once in a while? Although folks often leave them on for years at a time, you do need to add grease (until the cap moves outward) in order to keep lots of grease in and water out. I'm guessing you did not add grease, a fatal mistake. :(Sometimes folks add too much grease and blow the rear seal, but that does not appear to be the case in your pictures. Once saltwater gets in there, things can go downhill fast. That's why many folks repack the bearings every year. Saltwater is a bugar on trailer brakes and bearings. When the bearings are hot and you back into the chuck, cold saltwater can easily finds it's way in. Some folks recommend letting things cool off before backing into the water.

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

It does not look like there was grease packed in there in the first place. What about the bearing buddies? Did you check them once in a while? Although folks often leave them on for years at a time, you do need to add grease (until the cap moves outward) in order to keep lots of grease in and water out. I'm guessing you did not add grease, a fatal mistake. :(Sometimes folks add too much grease and blow the rear seal, but that does not appear to be the case in your pictures. Once saltwater gets in there, things can go downhill fast. That's why many folks repack the bearings every year. Saltwater is a bugar on trailer brakes and bearings. When the bearings are hot and you back into the chuck, cold saltwater can easily finds it's way in. Some folks recommend letting things cool off before backing into the water.

Red Monster, I agree I did not add any grease (in retrospect, my mistake!!) because I assumed that the bearings came properly packed from the RoadRunner factory (that's where I bought it from, not from a dealer). In the past, when I had my single-axle Road Runner, I used to grease it once a year and I never had any problems. However, at that time I used to make about 12-15 trips between Ladysmith and Port Alberni, and as many to the local boat ramp, for a total of about 4000 Km or more per year. With this trailer I did make about 1000 Km or less since I bought it until it failed. Also, the bearing buddies come covered with a bra (a protective plastic dust cap) and unless I removed that cap I could not see the position of the springs at a glance. Again, based on previous experience and in the very low Km, I skipped the greasing, but I don't think that greasing the bearings after putting the trailer in the water once or twice would have changed the final outcome. As there was almost no grease in the hubs from factory, water would have entered from day one and remained trapped inside the hub, thereby starting the corrosion process. So even if I added grease afterwards, I am convinced the damage would have happened anyway.

Ive had the same problems with a brand new highliner on my old zode.Trailer bearings were screwed on 2nd trip to stamp taking the axle with it!Highliner baisically told me to go **** myself as they didnt cover moving parts on warranty!!what do they cover??

Not to defend Road Runner trailers but we buy, use and sell lots of Mikes trailers with NO PROBLEMS to speak of. Even new bearings can become dry commonly from people over packing bearing buddies and blowing out the rear seal. I have also seen brand new bearings fail to. I have towed boats all over Canada and the States on trailers and would not ever take a trip without greasing, inspecting and carrying spare bearings, buddies and tools. I also make a habit of stopping every few hours to check for the temp of the hub. I have never had a customer service or warranty issue with mike and had him replace customers parts before without question. Sorry to hear you had a bad expeirence and I will forward your post and pics to Road Runner / Mike for a written response which I will post.

Mabye you should be taking this up with bearing buddies claim to fame 5 years no repack. You'd never catch me believing that once a year wether they need it or not!!!!

Cheers ME

One of our dual axle road runners fell apart this summer with the boat on it. right where the two side bars meet the hitch bar (near the front of the trailer...if you know what i mean), the bolt that holds it together broke and half the trailer went to a 90 degree angle causing the boat to go flying off the back....luckily it was as we were putting it into the boat launch...so it was in about 2ft of water and the boat was fine [:0]

It was ridiculously lucky though....the campion coulda been ruined had it broke anywhere else. If that was too confusing to understand (most likely), I'll try to think a way of better describing it lol

quote:Originally posted by MyEscape

Not to defend Road Runner trailers but we buy, use and sell lots of Mikes trailers with NO PROBLEMS to speak of. Even new bearings can become dry commonly from people over packing bearing buddies and blowing out the rear seal. I have also seen brand new bearings fail to. I have towed boats all over Canada and the States on trailers and would not ever take a trip without greasing, inspecting and carrying spare bearings, buddies and tools. I also make a habit of stopping every few hours to check for the temp of the hub. I have never had a customer service or warranty issue with mike and had him replace customers parts before without question. Sorry to hear you had a bad expeirence and I will forward your post and pics to Road Runner / Mike for a written response which I will post.

Mabye you should be taking this up with bearing buddies claim to fame 5 years no repack. You'd never catch me believing that once a year wether they need it or not!!!!

Cheers ME

ME, this is the response I got by e-mail from Mike Malo back in August 21 when I forwarded my complaint:

"I have reviewed your pictures and colcluded the bearing failed due to 1.
saltwater egress corrossion on bearing surfaces over a long period of time and
2. complete lack of maintenance.

The clock begins to tick when the trailer is first submerged in water. Grease
mixes with water and emulsifies. For this reason we do not base maintenance
schedules or warranty on odometer reading or hours of usage, as with other
equipment.

Having stated that no maintenance was done for over 24 months, and 3 to 4
scheduled maintenance periods were neglected a run to failure incident is the
guaranteed result. With over 12 months elapsed past warranty period and no
scheduled maintenance since new, no warranty would be justified.

Regards

Mike Malo"

As you may see, Mike does not even address the main fact: that the bearings were not properly packed at the RoadRunner factory, and the pictures prove that point. That fact was also stated in the bill I got from the trailer shop, which stated they found "All 4 hubs completely dry".

Cheers.

THAT is a 2005 trailer??
Holy Shiat. I cant believe the rust on that thing. If thats only 6-8 times, I'd take it to the recyclers. Another 6-8 times and the thing will fall apart.
To me it looks like a 10-12 year old trailer. And you said you had a flush kit installed? Sheesh!!

Is that a galvanized trailer?[:0]

Good luck
vic

There is warranty and there is faulty workmanship and thats two differnt things. The pictures appear to show little or no grease at the assembly stage, they should have honoured that.

Like C.S., i check the hub temperture often, thats your first sign of troubles.

Hey Nimo, couple of seasons ago winter fishing I answered a call for assistance on 68. A fellow was behind fraser island with his new 9.9 hanging in the water only by the elect and fuel lines. I pulled along side and hopped on the pod and helped haul it up into the boat. He also had a new v6 optimax from same dealer. Was that you? Kicker was never bolted on properly like you said.

I was wondering the same thing. My RR is of the same vintage and I'll certainly be pulling the bearings and may find myself eating my words here. The comparative parts of my trailer certainly look better and she has seen the salt many times.

What has go me wondering here.
1) I lost a BB on the old trailer while on the road. It did no take long for the bearing to disintegrate between Browns Bay and CR as a matter of fact. Not checking them even once in two years is just wrong.
2) You say this happened in June/07 and your pictures are certainly dated June/07. Why all of a suddden 8 months later this becomes a big issue. Would have been nice to have given us all a heads up when it first came to your attention on June 21/07.

Something smells fishy here and yes I may eat my words, when I get around to checking mine.

quote:Originally posted by Gypseas

THAT is a 2005 trailer??
Holy Shiat. I cant believe the rust on that thing. If thats only 6-8 times, I'd take it to the recyclers. Another 6-8 times and the thing will fall apart.
To me it looks like a 10-12 year old trailer. And you said you had a flush kit installed? Sheesh!!

Is that a galvanized trailer?[:0]

Good luck
vic

Yes, it is a 2005 galvanized trailer. However, the rear axle is no longer galvanized, as when the original was damaged the shop did not carry galvanized axles of that size in stock, so they installed a regular steel axle.

I am also a bit disappointed with the quality of the Fulton electric brakes, but I don't think I can blame RoadRunner for that. I am in the process of repacking all the bearings (again!!!!), and also of freeing the brakes (it's amazing how easily they become seized despite of flushing with fresh water - Fulton should have installed a brass bushing in the brake lever fulcrum so that it wouldn't seize). I am not sure of which type of the two electric brakes they advertise in their brochure (see link) is the one I have installed on my trailer, but I am starting to think that their claim of having "state of the art corrosion-resistant components" is slightly exaggerated. I am in the process of spraying all those "state of the art corrosion-resistant components" with Fluid-Film and hopefully they won't fall apart in the middle of the road. [xx(]

http://www.fultonperformance.com/Brakes/PDF/Ceq-Brakes-pgs12-23.pdf

quote:Originally posted by SeaWolf

I was wondering the same thing. My RR is of the same vintage and I'll certainly be pulling the bearings and may find myself eating my words here. The comparative parts of my trailer certainly look better and she has seen the salt many times.

What has go me wondering here.
1) I lost a BB on the old trailer while on the road. It did no take long for the bearing to disintegrate between Browns Bay and CR as a matter of fact. Not checking them even once in two years is just wrong.
2) You say this happened in June/07 and your pictures are certainly dated June/07. Why all of a suddden 8 months later this becomes a big issue. Would have been nice to have given us all a heads up when it first came to your attention on June 21/07.

Something smells fishy here and yes I may eat my words, when I get around to checking mine.

To answer your questions: 1) Yes, I agree the buddies should have been checked in two years; however, the trailer was used so little that I did not think it was necessary to repack (I have admitted that in previous posts); 2) I tried to get Mr. Malo to settle until September-October; then I wanted to take him to small claims but wondered many times whether it was worth the effort or not. At the end I was leaning towards letting this issue die, but I discussed it with several people during the last few months and I was encouraged several times to post it. So, after dragging my feet for quite awhile, here it is.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5696&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=wheel,bearings
It's been a year almost....some good reading in that post[xx(]
Wheel bearings are not be ignored! Not if you like uneventful road trips. First time @6 months, minimum once a year ..New or not, Read and believe! just look at them? It is better now than after the disaster. Everyone should do it.
I agree water was in the first couple of times and by the pic's not enough product to do the job.

i wonder if you went above the rep, and went directly to road runner would the respond the same way, companys dont like bad press

now on another note, not saying your to blame, but for 2 yrs old your leaf springs, and everything else for that matter look horrible, i wonder if your wash down was sufficient, i understand the lack of grease on rr's part , but everything else looks very rusty as well, i think it would only be a matter of time before those brakes failed, ( maybe the flush kit wasnt up too par either)

dont give up your fight, and let them know about the bad press they are recieving over this issue

Back