Is Duncan Headed for A Dunkin

Derby

Crew Member
Is Duncan headed for a dunkin'?
By Dan MacLennan, Courier-Islander February 25, 2011 What good is a cabinet minister MP if he won't speak out on behalf of his constituents?

That's what some, including New Democrat MP Nathan Cullen (Skeena-Bulkley Valley), are wondering about Vancouver Island North MP John Duncan and his virtual silence on the Point Race replacement issue.

"I thought the whole pitch they made was 'put them into government and then you'll have some real influence in Ottawa,'" Cullen told the Courier-Islander. "This is the opposite. The North Island somehow has less influence even though they have a minister sitting at the cabinet table, right to the right-hand side of the Fisheries Minister.

"This is offensive. It's a serious (safety) downgrade and the silence from the minister is deafening. He understands this issue. He can't plead ignorance and this is a decision that's going to put more lives at risk."

With the 70-foot Coast Guard cutters Point Race in Campbell River and Point Henry in Prince Rupert slated to be replaced by smaller 47-foot motor lifeboats, old battle lines have been drawn again. Cullen is fighting to save the Point Henry and publicly wondering why Duncan isn't doing the same for the Point Race. As an MP in opposition, Duncan had been among those defending the cutter in 2005, saying "the Coast Guard initiative would retire excellent condition and highly appropriate and capable 70-foot boats with less capable 47-foot lifeboats in order to try to save two man-years."

At the time, Duncan even warned the Liberal Fisheries Minister about the possible election consequences of such a move.

But Duncan's response to the latest replacement plan has been markedly different. His first response to inquiries from the Courier-Islander in December was to say through his press secretary "this decision is one that will be taken by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans I would encourage you to contact them directly."

Another attempt to gain comment from Duncan brought a brief, prepared response in January where the MP spoke of the cutter in the past tense.

"The Point Race has served our region very well," he said. "Fleet renewal and standardization is a national imperative of the Coast Guard."

Cullen hopes Duncan "comes to his senses" because lives are at stake.

"John knows this issue," he said. "If he was vocal on it in opposition, he should be equally as vocal on it in government.

"It seems like a no-brainer to me. It's not even political in the sense of right wing or left wing. It's just basic common sense. You can't run a fishing boat, you can't have recreational boaters out there if you don't have even some basic safety. We're not talking Rolls Royces here.

"We're going to open up the newspaper at some point after this change and read about some tragedy that could have been averted if we had proper boats on the water."

Meanwhile sport fishers are less than pleased with Duncan's response to their halibut allocation concerns. A group protested outside Duncan's Courtenay offices Monday morning. They're unhappy with Fisheries Minister's decision to maintain the halibut catch allocation at 88 per cent for commercial fishers and 12 per cent for the recreational sector.

"This decision could hurt a lot of businesses on the Island, from motels and tackle shops to marinas and campgrounds, and yet John Duncan continues to dodge and weave and ignore our concerns," said Bryan Allen, sports fishing director for the Courtenay Fish and Game Club. "If he thinks there is no price to pay politically for supporting a handful of commercial guys over tens of thousands of B.C. anglers, he's wrong."

Duncan, however, doesn't want to advocate or interfere in the management of fish. He said critics don't understand his role in government. As the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development he can't get involved in other ministers' mandates.

"I am not the Minister of Fisheries, but I am a Minister and therefore I do not publicly offer solutions to areas in which I do not have a mandate," he said in a recent response to a concerned recreational fishing representative.

The header on Duncan's website shows him next to a picture of a Fisheries and Oceans/Coast Guard vessel.

- with files from the Comox Valley Echo

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News
E-mail this ArticlePrint this ArticleShare this Article Story Tools
E-mail this Article
Print this Article

In my opinion Mr. Duncan has given up all pretense of representing his constituents and is simply a mouthpiece (when he speaks at all) for the federal Conservatives. He will spout whatever drivel he is told to spout with his payoff being a ministerial appointment that I'm sure will give his pension a serious boost.

I doubt that he will run again in any upcoming election but if he does, he sure as hell won't get my vote.

Out of touch with reality
Courier-Islander February 25, 2011 North Island residents can be excused if they're a little confused by their MP John Duncan.

On two key and vital issues, the proposed replacement of the Coast Guard cutter Point Race with an inferior vessel and the continued privatization of fisheries on the west coast, Duncan has been all but silent.

But when he does speak it only make things more confusing.

In response to questions about the controversy over the halibut allocation he said: "I am not the Minister of Fisheries, but I am a minister and therefore I do not publicly offer solutions to areas in which I do not have a mandate."

Mandate? We thought Duncan was elected as our member of parliament so that he would represent us all and deal with the issues of the day.

It seems that since he was named Minister of Indian and Northern Affairs, some kind of weird reasoning leads him to believe that if any issue out there doesn't involve his ministry, then he doesn't have to get involved.

An interesting scenario. So if the Point Race is replaced and the worst case scenario happens - a loss of life - because of it, Duncan apparently doesn't have the mandate to do anything about it.

And if the economy of North Island communities is adversely affected because of a made-in-Ottawa fisheries quota system, Duncan has no obligation to step in there either.

If Duncan's ministerial appointment is preventing him from representing his constituents, then we humbly suggest he resign that appointment and get on with the job for which he was elected.

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Good point Rockfish, but wasted . Politicians who hear everything and promise a fix only hear and act on during elections, they go suddenly dormant after elected. Only when another election is near do they come out of their slumber, minus all the fat they had.
Of course they are looking for more fat. [ $$$$]

wow what a non-issue. The Point Race and Point Henry WERE great boats , but they are tired and outdated. The new 47s are far superior vessels that will not only have faster response times , but much cheaper running costs. crew , fuel etc.

beemer

I hope some one can correct me and tell me that I am wrong.. but I think duncan 'the turtle' is entitled to a BIG govt pension( 2 terms) now.even if he is not elected?
So the Ret.....d does not give a rats butt!

Holmes-- were you REALLY up at 2:07 AM on this site?????? Weird or WHAT?? hehehe

It's obvious all he wants is his pension and doesn't want to be re-elected.

Duncan's reply to my second letter regarding halibut allocation

"The Halibut issue has been turned into an allocation issue and it is not for me to say what the allocation should be – rather, a process should be and has been put in place by the Minister of Fisheries to deliver an answer before the 2012 season."

Sincerely,

Hon. John Duncan, P.C., MP
Vancouver Island North

Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development

Federal Interlocutor for Métis and Non-Status Indians and

Minister of the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency

wow, thanks captain obvious. It ALWAYS has been an allocation issue. It was never anything else. I hate this guy more then most.

I'm guessing the western MP's are sweating a bit right now. It's beginning to smell like a pig roast coming to the northern VI riding. At least Lunney supported a revisit of the whole allocation issue - I'm voting for those who supported us...so, we should be careful not to paint the entire party with the same brush.

How do we make sure Duncan get' roasted?
I need to see the fool GONE!

It would help to have a few more people write letters to the editor.. just coming from a few doesnt cut it.

They are saying BC will hold the difference between the Conservatives re-gaining power or not. I would say there is a fighting chance we could get rid of Duncan if everyone in the riding who sport fishes convinced their friends and family to vote him out. He only got in last time on a slim margin. Vote and send a message on Halibut Allocation.

Courtenay Rotary Online Auction...........where else can you bid on a Dinner for 3 with the Honorable John Duncan, anywhere you'd like in the Comox Valley..............current bid is only $30 bucks.......FA ??? I'd like to sit in on that, heck, I'd pay the $30 bucks if FA was attending, luv ya man.

Or, how about a Marine Harvest Fish Farm Tour for 11 people including lunch...current bid only $105.....Any guesses what lunch might be ???

(And by the way, JD, checked out your website, the word Honorable doesn't have a "U" in it.)

Back