Installing new shift cable on yamaha outboard

GDW

I'm installing a new shift cable as I broke mine. Ill likely have many questions along the way but first off how go I attach the new cable to the yamaha 703 binnacle?

I've taken it apart it appears to me I need to get the lower plastic piece off to screw it into the new cable. Im Not sure how to get it off though and I can't see screwing the cable into it being easy.

a2unepeh.jpg

Anyone have a link to a yamaha 703 install manual?

Pop the two ring clips and they come right off.

Then spin off the plastic ends and attach to the new cables and slip on and put the ring clips back on.

A small screw driver is all you need to remove the clips.

The other end on the motor same black plastic ends held in by pull clips and a small washer often. All you need is strong fingers or needle nose pliers.

Very easy install, hardest part is pulling the wire thru the gunnels

Last edited by a moderator:
is that cable broken or just disconnected right there at the eye end,
possible eye end threads are stripped in the plastic piece?

The cable is disconnected. Ill post a pic of my broken cable soon. Figured out how to take the moon washer off and done already!

Thought I'd only get control end done tonight but its all hooked up just grabbing the keys to test it out.

Thanks for the replies you are correct easy job.

Last edited by a moderator:
evumyren.jpg

My old cable. The end connected to the motor had visible damage to the sleeve. Corrosion got in causing the cable to bind. That's not where it broke though. It broke inside the binnacle you can see the other end - corrosion free - bent then eventually snapped. Thankfully right back at the dock.

I had lots of warning signs it was getting more difficult to shift especially into reverse.

Back