Installing a new VHF radio

abbyfireguy

Ok, time for out with the old and in with the new,, VHF that is.
One of the few questions I have is,do I just reuse my MMSI number. The old Icom radio will be junked.
Can I simply just program it into the new radio when I install it?
I am installing a new Lowrance Link 8 VHF.

Program the same number into it.

Rather than scrap the ICOM, why not keep both radios (both programmed with the same MMSI) in your boat? nothing wrong with a little safety redundancy and you can always monitor 16 on one while talking or getting weather reports on the other.

No problem -- the MMSI isn't linked to the radio -- it's linked to YOU. It provides the coasties your name, phone number, boat descriptions, alternate contacts etc.... provided that all this stuff is the same as it was when you registered for your MMSI (i.e, you have the same boat, same name, safe alternate contacts etc...) then there's nothing you need to do other than enter the number on your radio.

If you sell the radio (or the boat with your old radio) -- it's good advice to tell the new owner to register a new MMSI. If they don't -- you should then let Industry Canada know that the old number is no longer valid so they can remove it. Would be nothing worse then to have someone press the emergency button, and have them looking for the wrong guy. Guy that purchased my old Seaswirl didn't speak English, and I couldn't get it across to him about registering for the MMSI (even via his translator) -- so I simply had my data removed from the database for that number.

Also thinking of adding an external speaker to the system. Difficult for old ears to hear some of the transmissions at times.
Any recommendations?

Back