Inflatables in the salt

SkeenaSlayer

Hey folks. I'm seeking opinions on how inflatables like the Stryker 380 perform in the ocean. I'm looking to get into my first boat and am looking for something that isn't too expensive and is easy to store and launch. Something like the 380 seems pretty ideal - cost effective to run, too. I'd use it for exploring the ECVI and fishing. What are these style of boats like as an ocean fishing platform? Are they stable and safe? Interested to hearing opinions and experiences.

Hey folks. I'm seeking opinions on how inflatables like the Stryker 380 perform in the ocean. I'm looking to get into my first boat and am looking for something that isn't too expensive and is easy to store and launch. Something like the 380 seems pretty ideal - cost effective to run, too. I'd use it for exploring the ECVI and fishing. What are these style of boats like as an ocean fishing platform? Are they stable and safe? Interested to hearing opinions and experiences.
I've been on one before, definitely stable but really pounds in any sort of wave action. I guess it depends on what type of fishing your interested in doing.. setting up electric downriggers etc might be a bit of a challenge in that style of boat. Depending on where you are on ECVI.. you may be really limited in the days you can get out.. somewhere windy like Nanaimo would be tough.

Thanks for the reply. I'd mostly be fishing between Parksville and Campbell River. Maybe the odd trip up to Hardy or McNeill. Not looking to do anything crazy and get too far off shore. Would mostly be trolling for salmon, I think. Just trying to figure out if this is an economical and reasonably decent way to explore and get into some fish without spending a ridiculous amount of money.

I've don't have first had experience, but I did meet a couple people that own them while cruising around this summer. They boat camped, crabbed and fished out of them. Easy to handle, rugged enough to pull up on shore. Like any person boating, if you are following the weather forecast you should be fine. Personally I would love to have one.......as well as 2 more boats and an oceanfront lot with a dock to tie all 3 up.

I have that model. I have a 20hp Tohatsu on it a cruises along nicely. It is very stable. I have never fished out of it, nor is it rigged for down riggers. There was someone else on this page who had something similar and I think added plywood to the aluminum seats to reinforce them so he could install down riggers

FWIW I had a 10' Zodiac Fast Roller with a high pressure floor and an inflatable keel. I used it primarily as a tender to my cruising boat, but also did a lot of prawning out of Schooner Cove and some fishing while cruising. I had a small manual downrigger with an 8 lb weight that I installed. If I remember correctly, I had a bit of a problem making turns to the opposite side from the downrigger, because of the inflatable keel and boat length. I used it prawning in a lot of different weather, but I was not always dry or comfortable.

I have that model. I have a 20hp Tohatsu on it a cruises along nicely. It is very stable. I have never fished out of it, nor is it rigged for down riggers. There was someone else on this page who had something similar and I think added plywood to the aluminum seats to reinforce them so he could install down riggers
How do you find that boat to manage in the ocean? And what do you use it for mainly?

Thanks for all of the replies, folks. I find the inflatable option to be a pretty intriguing solution to my serious lack-of-boat problem.

Mainly crabbing in our area and exploring.I want to get it out on the lakes for fishing

Back