Inboard/outboard to outboard swap horsepower

Orion4x4

I’ve settled on podding my 1988 bayliner 2159. I have a fabricator to build my pod. I’m unsure on what horsepower I should be looking for in the new outboard. I thought the boat would have a suggested HP rating but I can’t find anything online and there’s no tag on the boat. Thinking somewhere between 200-250.

Attachments

• 77B570BF-CE9D-4E35-B98D-70D792169B77.jpeg
    77B570BF-CE9D-4E35-B98D-70D792169B77.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 80
I would go for a 200 at least but it depends on how many people are on the boat most of the time, but I would have 200 be your starting point and go from there depending on what your needs are.

Keep in mind if you go for the 200, not all 200s have the same low end torque (what you would need). The yam and Zuke 200s are really juiced 150s. The merc has about 25% more displacement (which would make a big difference on that boat I'd suspect).
You wouldn't Regret the power of a 225 or 250 zuk/ yam/ merc over any 200. Just make sure the pod is built correctly for the boat and weight of the engines.

The hull plate max hp figure is derived from a formula based on waterline length and beam. Even if you do find it, the rating isn't specific to your hull.

As others have said, do your homework on the pod. A poorly designed pod will provide disappointing performance.

Keep in mind if you go for the 200, not all 200s have the same low end torque (what you would need). The yam and Zuke 200s are really juiced 150s. The merc has about 25% more displacement (which would make a big difference on that boat I'd suspect).
You wouldn't Regret the power of a 225 or 250 zuk/ yam/ merc over any 200. Just make sure the pod is built correctly for the boat and weight of the engines.
Thanks for the info. This is the confusing part about new outboards. I’m thinking I’m better off going a little bigger than under sizing and regretting it.

go full width pod/hull extension. 3' enough room for a large cooler, and enough floatation for a 250.

it will ride like a 24-25' boat.

Hey Orion, I recently podded my 20'6 Double Eagle Hardtop which looks to be a similar vessel to your bayliner. What size motor is in the boat currently? My engine decision came down to the Mercury V6 200 or the Yamaha I4 200, Ultimately I chose the Mercury because it had 2 extra cylinders and around the same weight. The boat performs great I have zero complaints I am using around 27 Liters per hour at 4000 rpm or 25 MPH.

Dan

go full width pod/hull extension. 3' enough room for a large cooler, and enough floatation for a 250.

it will ride like a 24-25' boat.
That’s a very good idea. If I’m doing it I might as well make it usable space especially if it could help with the ride quality and keep the back deck clear.

Hey Orion, I recently podded my 20'6 Double Eagle Hardtop which looks to be a similar vessel to your bayliner. What size motor is in the boat currently? My engine decision came down to the Mercury V6 200 or the Yamaha I4 200, Ultimately I chose the Mercury because it had 2 extra cylinders and around the same weight. The boat performs great I have zero complaints I am using around 27 Liters per hour at 4000 rpm or 25 MPH.

Dan
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have a great setup. I’m leaning towards the 250 mercury for mine. Mine had a mercruiser 4.3 in it.

I used to have a 1993 2159, with a 4.3 V6 175hp. I seem to remember the plate saying 175hp max. The boat was underpowered. We replaced the motor with a 220 hp MPI, and it was much better with this power.

Back