In search of FUGLY 2

it ALMOST makes me want to downsize, just thinking of the fun you could have with a 250-300 hanging off the back
and theres lots available it seems

If I were you, with your budget, I'd be focusing on the 17 footers. Double Eagle, Malibus, etc. I'd be watching for a clean boat with newer power. It'll be cheaper for you to run, less headaches and repairs, easier to handle, launch, store and a quicker resell when you're ready to move up. But be patient and if you get the right deal you'll get your money back out of it. Junk will just end up costing you more in the long run. Just my opinion.

Should have just gone to the boat show with your 10g as a deposit and financed the boat of your dreams over 20 years. The financiers were all over the place willing to help you out. New boat, new power, new trailer, less down time, warranty....... What else could you want :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if this thread is such a good idea for finding a boat Jeffy. It's like shining a spotlight on the good deals and increasing the competition for them.

Ya i am trying to not have another payment, 27,000 on a VW jetta for the girlfriend remember? , Fishwhenican that is the best advice i have herd yet, a 17-20' with reliable power, have my heart set on a new prokicker like FA's , i think that is where my money would be best spent... Also i am eyeballin the 1884 of Tgofers.. He has made me the best offer yet.., 20 ' with a heated cabin and i put all my goodies on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were you, with your budget, I'd be focusing on the 17 footers. Double Eagle, Malibus, etc. I'd be watching for a clean boat with newer power. It'll be cheaper for you to run, less headaches and repairs, easier to handle, launch, store and a quicker resell when you're ready to move up. But be patient and if you get the right deal you'll get your money back out of it. Junk will just end up costing you more in the long run. Just my opinion.

X2..............

I realize 10 k is not a very big budget for a sportfishing boat.. Lots of you spend that much on goodies for your boat..

I realize 10 k is not a very big budget for a sportfishing boat.. Lots of you spend that much on goodies for your boat..

10k is a reasonable budget imo. Not everyone can afford the fancy rigs, and all the increased costs of running them. Find something in your budget with a newer motor and solid hull. All the extras are just that, extras. Sometimes less is more when it comes to smaller fishing boats.

Crap I got a beater with a heater for $5000 and I,m pretty happy. its not the best but its clean dry and runs like a champ, and on a good trailer. makes me happy ;) 22 ft fiberform so it handles water well and I can go places up here I wouldn't dare in anything smaller

Last edited by a moderator:
There ya go , it doesn't always take the best of everything to make the most of everything... Women loved the fugly boat...

I would have kept fugly if it wasn't coming apart at the rail.., not too worried because i have quite a few good options to explore now...

Back