Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

It has happened many times in my boat where we had to let large halibut go then fish longer with more bycatch injuries to retain smaller halibut. If butts larger than 123 could be tagged on or cancel out two or three licenses it would cut back the fishing time and injure less fish in total. With one of my groups last year I fished two days for halibut with five guys. We released three large halibut and went home with none. The idea of purchasing quota came up often and it did start to seem more reasonable to have some on hand for such days when everyone just wanted to bring home a piece of fresh halibut. The fishing trip already cost lots of money, a hundred bucks more per person doesn't seem all that bad. Some people really do want to take halibut home to eat. When in the tail end of a fishing trip and given the option of going home to pay $40 a pound for halibut in a store or paying $7 a pound for the much fresher one laying beside the boat on the hook, most would just pay the quota price and be happy with it.

this is the erosion that is happening.

Yep, with all the restrictions in place
"buying quota" will get more and more attractive to a lot of people.
Don't like it, but it's inevitable.

Last edited:
Pretty damn sad and short sighted IMO when members of the rec sector willingly want to buy halibut quota. In doing so they are commercializing OUR common property resource that our ancestors fought so hard for a couple thousand years to get back from the crown. Playing right into the hands of Jimmy Pattison and other corporate interests that were given quota for free by DFO and then make it so WE the citizens who owned in the first place, will have to buy it back. Short term personal gain for long term citizen pain is what it is.

What a sh!tty legacy we leave our children when we willingly help DFO make us pay to catch the fish all of us already own freely as Canadian citizens. Just plain stupid in the long run. It's time to wake up on this folks and stand united as a rec sector to fight this tooth and nail to prevent this from happening! If not, then get prepared to pay $$$ every time you want to go catch a fish or crab or prawn, etc.... My 2 bits.

Last edited:
Yep, with all the restrictions in place
"buying quota" will get more and more attractive to a lot of people.
Don't like it, but it's inevtable.

This is DFO plan.
This "Experimental Program" has remained in play even though it failed early and was not acceptable to most Sports Fishermen.
Sadly, the DFO and Gov are have nothing but time to wait until it becomes the only option.
Bastards!

**** it! Open it up March 1 . 1/1 no max size. Wen it runs out so be
It.
I am sick of watching our sport constantly being diminished in the name of keeping the industry of it going.

For frick sake! With all the crap of Chinook stocks hurting, whales being perceived as starving etc, and the only argument you hear to shape decisions on our behalf is based on loss of revenue and pain to industry and community.

Recreational fishing and the industry that has been built upon it are NOT one and the same. The industry of it all should be dependent on a healthy recreational fishery. That I suppose starts with a healthy stock of fish. Then having reasonable access to that stock and a reasonable expectation of catch and retention. If the focus is on maintaining those things the industry will be strong because of it. Instead we are all to willing to give little pieces of what makes fishing so awesome away and weaken access to the true recreational fishers to keep the industry strong.

It has been said on here many times that if it is best for the industry it is also best for recreational fishers. If this Halibut fiasco has not shown you all that this is not true then you are not looking.

If you want to fish Halibut then come wen it is open and fish Halibut. If you want to make part of your living from fishing for Halibut then build that part of your business model around wen it is open.

Sorry folks but this is ridiculous! Year after year of the same.

The day we got the first slot I sat in a pub with some very involved members and said it was a bad idea. I said we would be doing this ten years from now. I also said Doing stuff like this is pushing us closer to a time where we will only be allowed to fish if we pay someone to take us. Both where met with scepticism. Hmmmmm.

I am not saying SFAB caused this mess I am saying it might be time to do something different before we **** the last of it away in an effort to prevent loss.

Well I can't wait till opens. I didn't get any last year. I am not bitching at this crap anymore as we do the same every year. We need more quota and I am waiting for a group to go after it. And yes its going to be the same till we get more quota. All the groups right now have zero time or resources ($$) to change it so it is what it is. Jen court why don't you start a group to look at getting us more quota as you seem passionate enough to change it. Any of us will do more than to offer support. I thought Serengeti was going to do it but I guess not. I don't blame him its incredible task. It really is very big job, and we need I dedicated group to take it on. So far I haven't seen many stepping up.

I really wish all these issues weren't coming down at once with our chinook fisheries. Things like these get sidelined, and without help its impossible to change things. Your not wrong what you say just there is no one available to go after this.

This is DFO plan.
This "Experimental Program" has remained in play even though it failed early and was not acceptable to most Sports Fishermen.
Sadly, the DFO and Gov are have nothing but time to wait until it becomes the only option.
Bastards!

It also doesn't help when the guys you fish next to buy quota. And yes this did happen in area 19/20. I agree with you that was slippery slope but its doesn't help when people buy it!

Jen court why don't you start a group to look at getting us more quota as you seem passionate enough to change it. .

I think we both know it takes a well established group of people with experience and credibility to act as a catalyst to pull all the moving parts together. We also know all of them are stretched thin at this time. That said I would give as much time as possible to it if it ever does start up again.

Pretty damn sad and short sighted IMO when members of the rec sector willingly want to buy halibut quota. In doing so they are commercializing OUR common property resource that our ancestors fought so hard for a couple thousand years to get back from the crown. Playing right into the hands of Jimmy Pattison and other corporate interests that were given quota for free by DFO and then make it so WE the citizens who owned in the first place, will have to buy it back. Short term personal gain for long term citizen pain is what it is.

What a sh!tty legacy we leave our children when we willingly help DFO make us pay to catch the fish all of us already own freely as Canadian citizens. Just plain stupid in the long run. It's time to wake up on this folks and stand united as a rec sector to fight this tooth and nail to prevent this from happening! If not, then get prepared to pay $$$ every time you want to go catch a fish or crab or prawn, etc.... My 2 bits.
Do you know of some one who "willing want's to buy halibut quota"?

Jencourt your preaching to the choir on this forum especially in sections outside the fishing report fourms. Most of the people responding or reading on here already do far more for our sectors then most of the recreational saltwater license holders out there.

Need to go leverage a different audience, The Vancouver Island Salmon Fishing Facebook page has almost 10 k members and I have not even seen Halibut allocation being brought up as an issue. If these people don't get engaged or involved they may find they have less hero pics of fish to show.

Last edited:
Do you know of some one who "willing want's to buy halibut quota"?
Buying halibut for any reason IMO just helps commercialize our common property resources and should be avoided at all costs. Unless everyone wants to pay $$$ to catch halibut that belongs to us in the first place. Not too smart in the long run.

It has happened many times in my boat where we had to let large halibut go then fish longer with more bycatch injuries to retain smaller halibut. If butts larger than 123 could be tagged on or cancel out two or three licenses it would cut back the fishing time and injure less fish in total. With one of my groups last year I fished two days for halibut with five guys. We released three large halibut and went home with none. The idea of purchasing quota came up often and it did start to seem more reasonable to have some on hand for such days when everyone just wanted to bring home a piece of fresh halibut. The fishing trip already cost lots of money, a hundred bucks more per person doesn't seem all that bad. Some people really do want to take halibut home to eat. When in the tail end of a fishing trip and given the option of going home to pay $40 a pound for halibut in a store or paying $7 a pound for the much fresher one laying beside the boat on the hook, most would just pay the quota price and be happy with it.
This way of thinking for the consumers is exactly why the DFO's plan for us to buy quota will win in the end. Last 2 years i have declined to take guys out that had their own quota but in the end this is the way it will go. I will quit guiding before i submit to the evil empire.You guys can ***** and moan on a forum of like minded anglers all you want but that won't do anything.

Jencourt your preaching to the choir on this forum especially in sections outside the fishing report fourms. Most of the people responding or reading on here already do far more for our sectors then most of the recreational saltwater license holders out there.

Need to go leverage a different audience, The Vancouver Island Salmon Fishing Facebook page has almost 10 k members and I have not even seen Halibut allocation being brought up as an issue. If these people don't get engaged or involved they may find they have less hero pics of fish to show.

I understand your point. That said, some of those reading on here are the very people who have the most clout and knowledge.

Regarding the FB page you speak of. Have you read some of the stuff that comes out of people’s thumbs on that page?
I am on it and there is good stuff but Lordy it can be hard to Get through all the poor understanding of what is and is not. It is tiresome at times .

Regarding the FB page you speak of. Have you read some of the stuff that comes out of people’s thumbs on that page?
I am on it and there is good stuff but Lordy it can be hard to Get through all the poor understanding of what is and is not. It is tiresome at times .

I got told I needed a bullet for sharing the gofundme page on that facebook page, So I know all to well. but if these people aren't somehow leveraged its going to be hopeless. Its the ignorance that people have to the issues that's killing us.

This way of thinking for the consumers is exactly why the DFO's plan for us to buy quota will win in the end. Last 2 years i have declined to take guys out that had their own quota but in the end this is the way it will go. I will quit guiding before i submit to the evil empire.You guys can ***** and moan on a forum of like minded anglers all you want but that won't do anything.

Suppose you are right about bitching and moaning on here. Frustration gets to a guy at times. That does not change
My stance on the matter though.

Regarding the XRQ I still think if used at all, Canada should be using it for non resident anglers. Not Canadians. How much of our CANADIAN public TAC is being chewed up by non residents?. And
No I don’t give a crap that they spend money here if it means Canadians have to give up access to have that happen.

Before anyone brings up the amount of US salmon we take that is separate issue. Done in Canadian water. I have no issue if they want to charge me to fish their fish in their water.

Point is DFO has created a mess that is so fundamentally wrong that I find it hard to believe it is legal.

Ugh! Can’t wait to go fishing!!!!

I got told I needed a bullet for sharing the gofundme page on that facebook page, So I know all to well. but if these people aren't somehow leveraged its going to be hopeless. Its the ignorance that people have to the issues that's killing us.

I do share your thoughts that we need to have more people understanding the facts.

**** it! Open it up March 1 . 1/1 no max size. Wen it runs out so be
It.
I am sick of watching our sport constantly being diminished in the name of keeping the industry of it going.

For frick sake! With all the crap of Chinook stocks hurting, whales being perceived as starving etc, and the only argument you hear to shape decisions on our behalf is based on loss of revenue and pain to industry and community.

Recreational fishing and the industry that has been built upon it are NOT one and the same. The industry of it all should be dependent on a healthy recreational fishery. That I suppose starts with a healthy stock of fish. Then having reasonable access to that stock and a reasonable expectation of catch and retention. If the focus is on maintaining those things the industry will be strong because of it. Instead we are all to willing to give little pieces of what makes fishing so awesome away and weaken access to the true recreational fishers to keep the industry strong.

It has been said on here many times that if it is best for the industry it is also best for recreational fishers. If this Halibut fiasco has not shown you all that this is not true then you are not looking.

If you want to fish Halibut then come wen it is open and fish Halibut. If you want to make part of your living from fishing for Halibut then build that part of your business model around wen it is open.

Sorry folks but this is ridiculous! Year after year of the same.

The day we got the first slot I sat in a pub with some very involved members and said it was a bad idea. I said we would be doing this ten years from now. I also said Doing stuff like this is pushing us closer to a time where we will only be allowed to fish if we pay someone to take us. Both where met with scepticism. Hmmmmm.

I am not saying SFAB caused this mess I am saying it might be time to do something different before we **** the last of it away in an effort to prevent loss.
THANK YOU SIR My thoughts exactly. We will very soon manage our % of TAC to 0, and it will NOT be DFO's fault. I have said on here recently, the perfect time for a **** storm is no better than this year right now, sport fishers have NOTHING to lose. I now expect a repeat answer/response posted.

HM

Back