Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

Voodoo Math is like the catch statistics presented to us at a winter 2017 SFAB meeting at Esquimalt Anglers, showing 6 halibut caught off Nanaimo in December. When they were both closed and in Nanaimo that month. Given to us by Brad Beath in person. Also showed Ling Cod that month, I forgot the number, but closed coastwide.

So yes, Wolf is right, the catch data has a lot of VooDoo applied to it. At another SFAB meeting in spring 2009, I personally was told that they can't have an "infinitly adjustable model", when I suggested the overflight pictures showing boats in JDF with an orange ball in front of them were fishing for halibut, and should not be "penalizing" us for Salmon effort.

90K pound of halibut caught in JDF East this spring, when I can't think of a single guide who caught more then 20 of them in Area 19 thru 20-4 this year (Remember, not including Renfrew which is area 21/121 mainly)? VooDoo math. And we are not talking about part timers, but very heavy hitters in the halibut world.

Filing out log books as a guide religiously since 2008 and not even getting a call for one for the 2018 season? Yet a shortage of data is why we are getting pummelled in the spring time?

Maybe we should increase licence fees to pay for a program to validate catch like commercial fishermen, since we are getting ripped off so much

Been advocating just that for years. I thing they are afraid of any accurate count that might show how over exaggerated our catch has been in many cases over the years.

This just shows how little you understand the SFAB process. The SFAB isn't a lobby group, its mandate is purely to provide advice to the Minister as to how we can manage the fishery within the existing TAC.

I have always well understood just how the SFAB functions, but nice try.

We’re that entity to become focused on procuring additional quota (as opposed to “making it work”) there is nothing preventing them from advising DFO to run with fewer restrictions. End result would be an early closure, but that actually presents a tactical advantage if securing increased quota levels is a real concern.

... sit back and rail on about how stupid volunteers who are working within the SFAB process on your behalf apparently are.

Since I quit guiding I have had many an occasion to openly wonder if the SFAB has “my behalf” in mind when it comes to the matters revolving around halibut...

Cheers,
Nog

Maybe we should increase licence fees to pay for a program to validate catch like commercial fishermen, since we are getting ripped off so much

Just make it mandatory.. Turn in your license with last years catch on it, or pay a hefty fine before you get one for next year. There are many juristictions where mandatory catch reporting is in place. Would not be hard. Put a self return stamp on the license, fold it in half, mail it.

But a program that actually makes sense wouldn't in the eyes of the feds..

Call me what u want :rolleyes: doesn't matter to me... All i see when u post this garage up is a unaccountable guide not getting what he wants & not willing to get off your butt and be part of the solution but instead chooses to be part of the problem .....

You apparently do not know me well do you !!! you throw barbs at alot on here I have not once said anything negative towards you?? for some reason this year you have turned into someone id never back. you seem to like to bully . dont quite understand why...
I been fighting the fight for over 30 years and even drove your way many years ago to back you all when we had the halibut conferences ...that packed victoria and nanaimo.

As for my log book Jarrod its my own ive done forever my personal one... only once did they ask for it and told them what my consultation fee was for some reason never heard back from them
enough said Wolf

Interesting poll on CHEK news. The question is are recreational fishers being unfairly targeted. Hope everyone takes the time to answer. I did it on Facebook, not sure if there is other access. Let’s make our feelings know!

You apparently do not know me well do you !!! you throw barbs at alot on here I have not once said anything negative towards you?? for some reason this year you have turned into someone id never back. you seem to like to bully . dont quite understand why...
I been fighting the fight for over 30 years and even drove your way many years ago to back you all when we had the halibut conferences ...that packed victoria and nanaimo.

As for my log book Jarrod its my own ive done forever my personal one... only once did they ask for it and told them what my consultation fee was for some reason never heard back from them
enough said Wolf

I don't know how logbooks are distributed etc. Maybe that needs to get looked at, and how submitted.? Again I don't know. I think maybe some do down there but a lot don't. I think the other reason why they are good to have is in the event we ever need to challenge the department. Without them we kind of have no leg to stand it. Can you imagine if we went into a legal battle? Those logbooks could be crucial. Just something to think about.

Interesting poll on CHEK news. The question is are recreational fishers being unfairly targeted. Hope everyone takes the time to answer. I did it on Facebook, not sure if there is other access. Let’s make our feelings know!

I fricken hate the way they word these poles. They are always tilted.

“ yes recreational fishing is being unfairly targeted “

“ no recreational fishing restrictions are part of the solution “

Little leading if you ask me

Just make it mandatory.. Turn in your license with last years catch on it, or pay a hefty fine before you get one for next year. There are many juristictions where mandatory catch reporting is in place. Would not be hard. Put a self return stamp on the license, fold it in half, mail it.

I agree, maybe a website form with locked tally that each rec license holder must complete before new license is issued. Sure should alleviate the big unknown of sport catch. Feds would be **** scared of anything that could be validated and real data.

HM

This is our mandatory reality, not sure what is happening down Island

Guides who refuse to accept, or fail to complete a log book, will be addressed under section 61 of the BC Sport Fishing Regulation in 2018, so please spread the word as widely as you can to your fellow guides to ensure no one gets left out.

Been filling one out since they were first offered on a voluntary basis.

Your guide log book is mandatory as well...per Section 61 of the Fisheries Act. Not to mention, providing log book data is just the right thing for us to do as professionals.
I fricken hate the way they word these poles. They are always tilted.

“ yes recreational fishing is being unfairly targeted “

“ no recreational fishing restrictions are part of the solution “

Little leading if you ask me

Yes, and I was surprised to hear the result so far is that 34% of people say the rec fishery should be restricted. Yes the majority of 66% say rec fishing is unfairly targeted, but alarming how many people are apparently not getting how much rec fishing contributes to their communities.

I shouldn't be too surprised. After all we have done a very good job shooting one another in the foot. All that distraction results in us taking our eye off the prize of getting out there in the community and helping build awareness and understanding of how the recreational fishery drives a lot of social and economic value forward in small coastal communities. We have a good news story, and need to be out there telling it instead of picking senseless fish fights with one another.

enough said Wolf

I will apologizes to you or anyone else who may feel that they are being bullied as I take that very
seriously as a father of 2 girls & someone that was bullied growing up.....

Your guide log book is mandatory as well...per Section 61 of the Fisheries Act. Not to mention, providing log book data is just the right thing for us to do as professionals.

Yes, and I was surprised to hear the result so far is that 34% of people say the rec fishery should be restricted. Yes the majority of 66% say rec fishing is unfairly targeted, but alarming how many people are apparently not getting how much rec fishing contributes to their communities.

I shouldn't be too surprised. After all we have done a very good job shooting one another in the foot. All that distraction results in us taking our eye off the prize of getting out there in the community and helping build awareness and understanding of how the recreational fishery drives a lot of social and economic value forward in small coastal communities. We have a good news story, and need to be out there telling it instead of picking senseless fish fights with one another.
Probably just not enough rec fishers bothering to vote, rather than people not getting it.You can bet the ENGO’s are getting the vote out. It’s a religion for many of them where partial truths and blind faith in their leadership is encouraged

Darn good point Ziggy! All on here need to use our influence to encourage people to vote accordingly. The reason I'm a tad concerned about the 34% is I can recall a time when recreational fishing was firmly entrenched in the core values of Canadians. As we become increasingly urbanized, the social norms are shifting and as people become less connected with their environment, they care but not that much. 34% is a bit disturbing as we are slowly losing ground IMO. Need to get out there and tell our story - fishing is an incredible social tradition passed on from generation to generation in Canada. Its a signifiant part of our cultural heritage.

[QUOTE="searun, post: 908421, member: 466" - fishing is an incredible social tradition passed on from generation to generation in Canada. Its a signifiant part of our cultural heritage.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that statement You are not wrong.

That right there is the most disturbing loss we are facing, as I see it.

the result so far is that 34% of people say the rec fishery should be restricted. Yes the majority of 66% say rec fishing is unfairly targeted, but alarming how many people are apparently not getting how much rec fishing contributes to their communities.

Thanks for all of the information Searun.

I get what you’re saying about the 34% not on our side... but I still have to think that 2-1 public support for us is solid. ESPECIALLY because the poll was worded against us.
I was worried it might be a 50-50 divisional worse, but it’s finally a small thing that has clearly gone our way.

Thanks for all of the information Searun.

I get what you’re saying about the 34% not on our side... but I still have to think that 2-1 public support for us is solid. ESPECIALLY because the poll was worded against us.
I was worried it might be a 50-50 divisional worse, but it’s finally a small thing that has clearly gone our way.

most of their audience is from the island.... do that poll on a major vancouver news network and see what happens.

if you guys haven't donate to that go fund me yet you should, its whole purpose is to put out sports fishing propaganda.

Back