Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

Do you know of some one who "willing want's to buy halibut quota"?

YES there area few that do "lease" and worst part its on the "honor"system to actually fill out the form and send it in... its a VERY flawed system....

one only has to look do a bit of digging you will find who has it...

YES there area few that do "lease" and worst part its on the "honor"system to actually fill out the form and send it in... its a VERY flawed system....

one only has to look do a bit of digging you will find who has it...
I doubt anyone willing wants to buy quota. They would all prefer to just have more tac. Some have built businesses on halibut fishing. In desperation to keep their guests coming to B.C. and not going to Alaska instead some guide businesses have bought quota. To say they willing want to buy the quota is far from the truth of the situation.

I doubt anyone willing wants to buy quota. They would all prefer to just have more tac. Some have built businesses on halibut fishing. In desperation to keep their guests coming to B.C. and not going to Alaska instead some guide businesses have bought quota. To say they willing want to buy the quota is far from the truth of the situation.

With the cost of quota I can't see it still paying if they actually do it properly and pay it.

Wouldn’t they just transfer the cost to the client? If a client chooses to want the fish they pay the quota rate for that above the charter rate.

6 bucks a pound. Add 600 to the charter for a big fish? Seems unlikely. Maybe. I reported a Victoria guide advertising quota on 500 dollar charters to Roy from DFO. At those prices he charged no way he could keep the hali he had on his website. It is so easy to cheat the system it needs to be ended

I am no fan of the quota system and have not bought any quota myself or for my clients. If I did everyone would be calling me a dirty rotten baglicker and assume I was cheering the system.

I agree the system has to go but what if it never does? When will it be socially acceptable for a commercial charter operator to buy commercial Hali quota? If we all did would it not free up more quota for average recreational joe angler?

I agree the system has to go but what if it never does? When will it be socially acceptable for a commercial charter operator to buy commercial Hali quota? If we all did would it not free up more quota for average recreational joe angler?

There is already lots of folks out there that think charter operators should have to purchase tac to make money off of killing Halibut. Is that a can of worms you wish to open at this time.

Again how the hell can dfo push a system where money can make you exempt of the rules and have no way to even enforce the few rules around using said system. Can not believe this is even legal.

Two discount Sooke guides apparantly had quota in 2017 for a run to the Jordan River spot after the Sept closure. At what they charge I called bull. I have asked twice for a certain DFO officer to respond to my complaint that I filed with documents and pictures. Zip.

I’m sure they just pass the cost to customer. Plenty of guests are bringing it themselves now as well as I’m sure other operators can vouch for. At $4.25/LB the guests seem to think its worth it compared to grocery store prices.

Regardless it’s only fair we get 25%. Pretty
Important for the viability of the fishing tourism industry on the coast especially with the Chinook restrictions in some areas now

What I want is to get the hell out of sportfishing for a living. Everyone is always attacking your profession, calling you greedy and sportfishermen seem to love hating other fishermen who compete for the resource or use different equipment. Hope this will be my last season.

What I want is to get the hell out of sportfishing for a living. Everyone is always attacking your profession, calling you greedy and sportfishermen seem to love hating other fishermen who compete for the resource or use different equipment. Hope this will be my last season.
Yeah I’m in the same boat as you. Looking to escape the life after 35 years

Already working on plan B
Their is no future at all FOR ALL of us a few more whales die and look out now they have deemed certain areas as critical habitat , minster can say ok SHUT it down with no public consultation or nothing, I said over a decade ago we needed to fight back then ...its too late now....they gained the support and got the gov to side with them...... we are ******

It should be quite apparent to all of us who deal with DFO that the top of the food chain within listens to the money. Fish farms, quota to JP, NGO groups. If the industry side of the rec fishery walks it will no doubt speed up the process of the end for the weekend warrior. I'll stay to the end and go down with the ship if need be.

These special interest groups are winning on so many issues. Taking out the fishing industry, mining, logging, oil field they are even starting to attack our farmers raising beef. For the life of me I'd like to know what the plan is, where are people going to make a living. I keep hoping one day people will wake up and see what they are doing to the working class. You lose your core industries in a nation what is there for people. Economies will, do and can crash even the best of them. I'm convinced I will see a civil war in this country if I live another 30 years. That or we need a major change in people's thought process. Many have let the education systems and their ideology take control of our children and raise them for us, this is the result.

Many have let the education systems and their ideology
This is where the problems lie unfortunately most of these people pushing for all of this live in a concrete big jungle city and have never been on a farm or ocean, I had a discussion other night with one of these so called peoples and was amazed she was going on about how fisherman take all the fish ... I was polite and asked her if she has ever caught a fish or seen a whale from a boat? she said umm no but I know whats going on ... social media and the MEDIA are killing us.

And Spring its not a depression session its the facts and reality!!!!!. and the barrel of the gun is pointing right at us. I have not seen or heard one thing from these so called peoples that are "looking" after us. before we know it another year will be coming up. and I hear is silence .....more restrictions are more then likely coming I really hope there is more push back then what we have seen in the past ....

This is where the problems lie unfortunately most of these people pushing for all of this live in a concrete big jungle city and have never been on a farm or ocean, I had a discussion other night with one of these so called peoples and was amazed she was going on about how fisherman take all the fish ... I was polite and asked her if she has ever caught a fish or seen a whale from a boat? she said umm no but I know whats going on ... social media and the MEDIA are killing us.

And Spring its not a depression session its the facts and reality!!!!!. and the barrel of the gun is pointing right at us. I have not seen or heard one thing from these so called peoples that are "looking" after us. before we know it another year will be coming up. and I hear is silence .....more restrictions are more then likely coming I really hope there is more push back then what we have seen in the past ....

Can't push back with people that give up.

OMG man seriously been fighting for over 30 years, kinda a mute point when the top does **** all

Back