IMPORTANT NOTE FROM SFI-BC & SVIAC Re: FISHING REGS

Out of the 11 chinook me and my dad retained last year we only had 1 day fishing in the SOG that we retained more then 2 Chinook. So we would of caught 10.

This year we have got our limits a bunch (thrasher rock) but this was in April and it looks like these measures stop in October.

It looks like these measure will probably hit the guides a lot more that can get thoes limits more regular then the average fishermen.

Lol, yes already breaking out the extra bumpers. NASCAR sportfishing.com

If there is any good in this, and I have to try to stay positive here despite being profoundly sad for the state of the recreational fishery...I hope people will finally get involved with whatever organization they can, put their cash to good use to support a well organized fully funded lobby effort, and please, please for the love of your sport...please WRITE A LETTER.

Let's flood the Minister with thousands of thoughtful letters. Show this Minister the recreational sport fishery matters to VOTING Canadians. We will never surrender. Election 2019 is your opportunity if we start organizing now.

I don’t know if any other country that has such a process? I think we are lucky to have involvement

Are you joking or just fully unaware of how most other jurisdictions fully engage the entire rec fishing sector? Washington and Oregon States and the International Pacific Halibut Commission all have full transparency with data online, meeting minutes on line, management proposals on line with long comment periods and on line meetings, as well as meetings well advertised and open for anyone to attend and speak!

The SFAB/C process can’t claim to offer any of those things and, not surprisingly, the rec sector “engagement” process actually engages less than a fraction of 1% of licensed anglers.

It is past time for an overhaul of the system and use the modern tools available to engage more of the capacity and $$$ of our sectors members. I read something from SVIAC or the SFInabout 100 anglers attending a recent meeting in Victoria. Do you think those numbers change politicians minds? Should be 1000s and until it is we won’t have much, if any voice. One anglers two-cents.

Cheers!

Ukee

Are you joking or just fully unaware of how most other jurisdictions fully engage the entire rec fishing sector? Washington and Oregon States and the International Pacific Halibut Commission all have full transparency with data online, meeting minutes on line, management proposals on line with long comment periods and on line meetings, as well as meetings well advertised and open for anyone to attend and speak!

The SFAB/C process can’t claim to offer any of those things and, not surprisingly, the rec sector “engagement” process actually engages less than a fraction of 1% of licensed anglers.

It is past time for an overhaul of the system and use the modern tools available to engage more of the capacity and $$$ of our sectors members. I read something from SVIAC or the SFInabout 100 anglers attending a recent meeting in Victoria. Do you think those numbers change politicians minds? Should be 1000s and until it is we won’t have much, if any voice. One anglers two-cents.

Cheers!

Ukee

@Derby ?

Cheers!

Ukee
Well I find this to be an interesting comment, when Washington State sends one of their Fisheries Managers to the SFAB Main Board meetings. Suppose theirs is working so well they want to come up here to see one that is broken?

what countries? Norway?:D:D

How many times has the DFO set up the SFAB with impossible time lines?

How many times has the DFO had incomplete data?

How many times has the DFO just completely ignored SFAB recommendations?

How many times have you come on here and tried to damage control after a decision has been made by no fault of your own or the SFAB?

The SFAB is just smoke and mirrors and group of good hearted guys trying to make a difference. The fall guys essentially.

OH and Jen court..... West coast VI escaping all of it isn't by accident.

Hahaha.. is that the best you have.. :p;):):rolleyes:

i guess will have to wait and see if anything happens to them in river fisheries. After all this notice says this is to protect all Fraser river stocks.

Ok,one per day any size,super ****** .... thank god DFO chucked out SFAB ridiculous slot limit idea for 13-14.I can't believe they would pitch this?
One question though, all this to protect Harrison stock they say? Are Harrison not a true white spring? Reason I ask is I have around 150 rod days a year in 13-14 and catch maybe 2 or 3 true whites a season. Lots of marbles,but few real whites.
And if they are trying to conserve Chinook for whales and natives or whatever, why wouldn't they shut down rearing grounds like Swiftsure/big bank ???

Lol, yes already breaking out the extra bumpers. NASCAR sportfishing.com

If there is any good in this, and I have to try to stay positive here despite being profoundly sad for the state of the recreational fishery...I hope people will finally get involved with whatever organization they can, put their cash to good use to support a well organized fully funded lobby effort, and please, please for the love of your sport...please WRITE A LETTER.

Let's flood the Minister with thousands of thoughtful letters. Show this Minister the recreational sport fishery matters to VOTING Canadians. We will never surrender. Election 2019 is your opportunity if we start organizing now.

I think we need to pick a body to represent the rec sector coast wide. To me, it looks like SFI looks to be that, but from my review of their member list, it looks pretty small relative to all the people who have an interest in the sport fishing industry in BC.

I am thinking there needs to be a concerted effort to recruit a more substantive membership both corporate and individual.

Who should have an interest in supporting a body supporting rec fishing interests?

Marinas
Boat dealers
Tackle shops
Lodges / guides
Restaurants
Marine suppliers
Hotels
Etc...

Having the collective power of many supporters along with the associated financial wherewithal to properly represent the sector and industry. With that, I suspect we would have more political capital in Ottawa (votes!).

Maybe the businesses involved could offer discounts to members and / or conservation donations for patronage. Helps it all go around.

With a bigger membership there could be a broad media campaign to communicate the social and economic benefits created by the rec sector along with substantial conservation efforts made. Maybe then we could have airtime vs all the eco groups out there misrepresenting the facts.

For what it is worth I recently joined SFI as a start and I suggest others do the same.

We need to get the collective power of those with an interest in the fishery working together.

Last edited:
Ok,one per day any size,super ****** .... thank god DFO chucked out SFAB ridiculous slot limit idea for 13-14.I can't believe they would pitch this?
One question though, all this to protect Harrison stock they say? Are Harrison not a true white spring? Reason I ask is I have around 150 rod days a year in 13-14 and catch maybe 2 or 3 true whites a season. Lots of marbles,but few real whites.
And if they are trying to conserve Chinook for whales and natives or whatever, why wouldn't they shut down rearing grounds like Swiftsure/big bank ???

If you read the notice it says all Fraser river stocks need protecting this year.

Well I find this to be an interesting comment, when Washington State sends one of their Fisheries Managers to the SFAB Main Board meetings. Suppose theirs is working so well they want to come up here to see one that is broken?

Oh, well then, that totally validates the SFAB/C process, notwithstanding the utter lack of paticipation/open engagement.

Insanity - repeating the same thing and expecting different results.

Cheers!

Ukee

These closures and reg. changes are total BS and have nothing to do with conservation for chinook or SRKW's for a host of very good reasons already mentioned on this forum many times. As others have stated this is a politically motivated decision from the DFO Minister and Trudeau.

SO if they are going to "manage" our fisheries not by science using good data that results in actual conservation results then I say we start taking their lead and start making this political. The time has come for us to fight back by doing things like:
1) start collecting our own data to counter their voodoo, over extrapolated BS data.
2) start collecting data on the impacts of predators, habitat loss, water extraction, pollution, fish farms, etc. It is obvious we can no longer trust DFO to make conservation based decisions anymore. We need to support existing groups and create new ones if needed to collect this data to counter BS politically based decisions
3) start documenting the unsustainable harvesting of endangered stocks in by in-river harvesting
4) start protest activities (peaceful ones of course) in a variety of ways show our anger and that their will be political consequences for mismanaging the fishery
5) support the creation of more chinook sea pen projects
6) start supporting pro-rec fishing sector candidates

My 2 bits for now - I am :mad:

What I will say is this. The SFAB is an Advisory process, not a lobby group. I still strongly believe and support the SFAB process as a way to formally offer advice to the Minister on rec fishery matters. But we have to recognize the limitations of an advisory process, and understand the value of a dual function that in these times is so very important. The game has changed. Evolve or die.

What the rec community lacks is a strong financial war chest to fund a social media campaign and lobbyist. This action taken by the Minister clearly shows that this government has changed the game. They have placed considerable political capital into the social media space. The rec community has been beaten by the ENGO's who long ago raised $$$, hired social media experts, and pivoted their influence efforts off the web. The rec community is so utterly fractured and people sit back and do nothing because, as we have heard on this forum, they won't act because these decisions don't impact "my" fishing area!

Just wait, the pain is coming to an area near you. The ENGO's all lobbied hard to CLOSE the entire rec fishery. So too did FN's who advocated going to Zone 0 Management - no fishing.

Its time for the sleeping giant to awaken.

I don't really think it's funny. Care to answer any those questions?
Oh I'm sorry ..did I hurt your feelings...... I was waiting for u to show all of us your pearls of wisdom first.... or do u just hide behind the key board & offer up nothing with no skin in the game.. So please enlighten us how we change a Advisory Process...As it seems you or a very similar character shows up every time something doesn't go are way pretending to have all the answers.... so please caw away....

Join sports fishing institute join SFI, they lobby in Ottawa!!!!!! They lobby for the whole coast!!!

They sent out Martin to give a speech in Vancouver to the rec fishing group on the SRKW when no other group would!!!

Huge respect!!!!

And the slap to our face.......
3 day Full FN gill.and set net opening on the Fraser.
Conservation is not the goal here!!

This can easily be the catalyst for organizing and I think plenty of people are willing to put up the bucks to do so. A couple of ideas and of course all are imperfect and have their downsides. They're just ideas.

- no longer participate in any of the voluntary surveying whether to do with creel surveyors, online surveys and of course no longer participate in the sport head recovery program.
- at least a day of action every month in the summer where boats show up to a closed spot with lines, downriggers, lures etc..., but no hook. (like they did with occupy skagit
- Sportfishing fundraising money needs to go more towards political organization/lobbying so perhaps Pacific Salmon Institute (very effective money raiser) needs to become more political or merge with SFI or something.
- SFI could reach out to enviro NGO's for a press conference speaking out about these measures as part of politics around KM. This diminishes the political messaging for the Libs behind these measures.
- SFI should hold a press conference with business leaders, coastal mayors etc...around the effect these measures will have on the local economy
- boat stickers, flags, business signs with clear messaging around the issue expressing rec. sector concerns.
- actively engage in the next election on this issue and support candidates that are pro-rec sector

I'm sure there are lot's of others...

Back