Importance of leader length

R

ratherbefishin

One cannot stress enough the importance of the right leader length. I was chum fishing on Monday and the bite was hot. Within 2 hours, we had 6 fish on board and had lost a few as well. While fishing the rip, we got caught in a powerful whirlpool and by the time we out of it, we had a spectacular twisted tangle with the 4 rods. Rather than untangling the mess, I cut the lines and retied everything (had to anyway because they were shafted by the downrigger cable). Then, it all died… Boats around us were hooking fish like crazy and we didn’t even get a bite. We had to leave anyway and headed for home puzzled over this. I went back the next morning and realized that in my hurry, I had tied all the leaders 36” to 40”. The bite was on and I decided to test this. For the next hour and a half, my boat was the only one without a bite. I retied all 4 rods to 27” and the first fish was in the boat within 10 minutes.

It was browns bay... before the comercial guys got in. going out on Friday again. I hope things are still hot

runt, these fellow's are targeting chum near campbell river
chum seem to bite better on a shorter leader, with lots of flashers
in the water...
kinda like fishing sockeye

Back