Impeller Pulled

Red Monster

I pulled my i/o water pump for the first time. I was surprised to find debris inside although the impeller was completely intact. I guess the debris came from an old impeller and I was glad to get it out.

I was also surprised to see how far off center the impeller sits inside the pump, but that must be the way it works.

I needed to pull the pump out in order to remove the impeller because there's only a few inches to work with in front of the pump.

Everything was nice and smooth inside the pump.

Another interesting thing is that the pump appears to be bigger than the stock one listed for the motor.

And inside there was just the impeller and one gasket. I don't know what all the o-rings are that you see on so many kits.

Attachments

• impeller.jpg
    impeller.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 90
Okay, I see where there's actually a cam that's inserted on one side of the pump. Cool.

with the pump assembly out be sure to check the bearings. should be smooth when you spin if you feel a rough spot get them replaced.

Well, I installed the pump back onto the motor, and it works fine with no leaks. If I could pull the impeller without removing the pump, it would be quite an easy task. Maybe I'll see if there's enough room to use an impeller puller, but I doubt it.

I just saw on the internet some special pliers that are bent to fit around the side of the pump. These would probably fit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Change mine each year. Lost a power head because one of those impeller fins broke off after 2 years and jammed in the casing blocking the flow of cooling water.

If I am seeing right you should change that impellor. The top fins should not have that amount of set in them. They should be still in contact with the housing wall.

A new impeller was installed. I just needed to pull the pump to get the old impeller out. At least now I know exactly how to re and re the pump as well as the impeller. It is a bit of a pain to pull the pump just to replace the impeller.

I'm thinking next time of using bent needle nose pliers to pull the impeller without removing the pump. There's very little room in front of the pump.

As a result of pulling the impeller, I did find some debris from an old impeller so it was probably good that I did pull the pump out.

It appears that I have the same pump as you , where did you buy the impeller if indeed it is a Jonson impeller
part #09-812 pump #10-24232-1 F6b-9

Cheers.

While your at it red pull the heat exchanger off if you had debris in the punp more than likly you will have it in there as well and see how it looks on the end caps very easly to pull off any debris will be in there as well also check for plugged holes easly cleaned with compressed air sometimes or a nice straight rod if it feels jammed dont push too hard dont want to damage tubes,When I took mine apart found old impeller chunks and seaweed (eel grass) in there takes about 30 mins not hard at all.

good luck wolf

Wireman, that's the same as mine and matches up to Sierra 18-3306 impeller kit (impeller and gasket) that I bought. I bought mine at a local marine store that can order in any Sierra part. NAPA can also order bring it in. These parts are warehoused until a retailer orders in the part. Buy your stuff wherever you can get the best price. There's a lot of mark up.

Wolf, are you suggesting I take the heat exchanger completely off? And if I did this, would it be an idea to take it to a rad shop and have it cleaned? The black paint is flaking off like crazy. I would paint the thing if I took off as well.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like good maintanence to go through the exchanger once in a while, especially if there's a chance of impeller debris being in stuck in there.

Red thats what I did when I did mine and they boiled it out and even painted it for me.

Would be a good way to check the condition of the inside of the hoses. They are known to deteriorate from the inside.

Okay, I figured it was just like a radiator. It may not have ever been cleaned out for all I know, and it's over 30 years old if it's the original that came with the boat. Out she comes. I did the same thing when I put my Mustang back together. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah its really easy to do red all i did was wire brush mine and repainted it once you see inside you will find its very simple and easy..if you have any questions call me at home too more than willing to help ya as you know LOL

Good luck Wolf

Back