Camp and Fish (Charters)

tbeatm

Hey all, looking for some recommendations for a group this spring or summer.

Would like to see if anyone has organized a similar camp and fish with a decent sized group (15 people-ish).
Idea would be to grab some cabins or campsites nearby and reach out to local charter companies that have enough boats for that many, I was thinking 2 or 3 boats I assume? 5 people per boat with a guide?

An example would be - camp near Port Renfrew (Pacheedaht), reach out to Island Outfitters or local guides for a day charter. Willing to go anywhere Campbell River and south basically if folks have ideas!

Any recommendations or ideas appreciated

Hey all, looking for some recommendations for a group this spring or summer.

Would like to see if anyone has organized a similar camp and fish with a decent sized group (15 people-ish).
Idea would be to grab some cabins or campsites nearby and reach out to local charter companies that have enough boats for that many, I was thinking 2 or 3 boats I assume? 5 people per boat with a guide?

An example would be - camp near Port Renfrew (Pacheedaht), reach out to Island Outfitters or local guides for a day charter. Willing to go anywhere Campbell River and south basically if folks have ideas!

Any recommendations or ideas appreciated
I would go with Island Outfitters and Renfrew
5 guests per boat is too many in my opinion. 4 max 3 ideal

I would go with Island Outfitters and Renfrew
5 guests per boat is too many in my opinion. 4 max 3 ideal
I agree. I got yelled at once when I said no to someone asking if I would charter 8 people fishing lol. That's not including myself or a hand. 26 ft and under boats 4 is plenty including the captain. 35s to 40s you can get away with 6 people total before it starts getting cramped.

I agree. I got yelled at once when I said no to someone asking if I would charter 8 people fishing lol. That's not including myself or a hand. 26 ft and under boats 4 is plenty including the captain. 35s to 40s you can get away with 6 people total before it starts getting cramped.
Sounds like tourists that want to go out in my area. Asking to take 6, 7 up to 10 people on one boat. Complete opposite of serious fishermen that book charters, they want as few people on the boat as possible so they have as much opportunity on the rods for the time they have on the boat. Back in my lodge days the serious guys wanted 2 of them per boat plus the guide no more. I kinda miss those days when I’ve got 5 adults plus me packed onto my 25 footer.
As to the op question, you should probably start calling lodges and outfits asap as the west coast guys will already be mostly boooked up for prime dates. Plus your trying to get 3-4 boats available at once it’s probably impossible for places like renfrew this close to the season. Also what time are you looking to go? If regs are the same this year it will be catch and release in the sog until July 15th.

Bon chovy could probably accommodate that many people and set up cabins and camp sites at pages marina on gabriola, great fishing near by in the spring
I was going to suggest pages as well, great set up and you have the option to camp or stay in an actual room. Fishing is 30 seconds away!

This is exactly what I was after, thanks a lot for the information guys. Good to know about number preferences for most guides as well.
Timing of trip would definitely depend on location due to the regs yes. If it was Victoria area we wouldn't go until after Aug 1st, further up island would choose somewhere after July 15th once retention opened etc.

If we could miraculously get organized for spring time before retention closes that would be an option, I just don't know if I can make that happen with that large of a group haha.

This is exactly what I was after, thanks a lot for the information guys. Good to know about number preferences for most guides as well.
Timing of trip would definitely depend on location due to the regs yes. If it was Victoria area we wouldn't go until after Aug 1st, further up island would choose somewhere after July 15th once retention opened etc.

If we could miraculously get organized for spring time before retention closes that would be an option, I just don't know if I can make that happen with that large of a group haha.
June and early July have great retention opportunities out of Tofino and Ucluelet

I would also suggest Tofino and Ucluelet. More to do there and maybe someone doesn't want to fish you can cut down on the boat count.

Port renfrew is pretty sweet, I live in sooke takes about 1.5 hours to get there, beautiful drive has everything you need I fish it quite regularly, you have the option to camp like you mentioned they also have some beautiful cabins looking right out to the marina I highly recommend I’ve stayed at a few different ones they were all nice, there’s hiking, pubs nice beaches lots to do, You can’t go wrong with any of the local guides out of pacific gateway ect, they all work together to find the fish and organize large groups, the company I work for usually takes around 25 guys every summer there just contact any of the guides and they’ll work together to accommodate your group, early season is better for halibut/ground fish (may/June) salmon opens most years around July 15th, you can still fish Salmon earlier in the year towards nitnat but I find it’s more productive towards the end of July/august still lots of halibut ect around I just find it better at the beginning of the season. No matter where you go most well established guides will get you on the fish anywhere on the coast, most guides are limited to 4 guests max. Spring roll, that’s how we troll, Wiley’s sport fishing, swell time, island outfitters, hindsight, ect are all really good but like I said you can’t really go wrong with either, book asap as they fill up
Spots really fast.

Last edited:
I fished Port Renfrew for years and it is productive and beautiful BUT if you have guys who get sea sick easily, there are big rollers and big water if you go with the guides to Swiftsure bank.

Port renfrew is pretty sweet, I live in sooke takes about 1.5 hours to get there, beautiful drive has everything you need I fish it quite regularly, you have the option to camp like you mentioned they also have some beautiful cabins looking right out to the marina I highly recommend I’ve stayed at a few different ones they were all nice, there’s hiking, pubs nice beaches lots to do, You can’t go wrong with any of the local guides out of pacific gateway ect, they all work together to find the fish and organize large groups, the company I work for usually takes around 25 guys every summer there just contact any of the guides and they’ll work together to accommodate your group, early season is better for halibut/ground fish (may/June) salmon opens most years around July 15th, you can still fish Salmon earlier in the year towards nitnat but I find it’s more productive towards the end of July/august still lots of halibut ect around I just find it better at the beginning of the season. No matter where you go most well established guides will get you on the fish anywhere on the coast, most guides are limited to 4 guests max. Spring roll, that’s how we troll, Wiley’s sport fishing, swell time, island outfitters, hindsight, ect are all really good but like I said you can’t really go wrong with either, book asap as they fill up
Spots really fast.

@Fishin sums it up pretty well I'd say. We have a cabin in Renfrew and spend most of the summer out there. If you have any other questions that haven't been addressed let me know or shoot me a message.

Thanks again for the input everyone. Have a rough idea of our options now! Will report back if all works out.

Back