If I don't want to pay the price for an Islander..... what would you buy?

I use a 60 year old Hardy Longstone my father gave me when I was 15 and I would not trade it for anything. NOTHING sings like a Hardy! I give it a rinse in fresh water after every outing and a good cleaning at the end of every season. My fishing partner has an Islander and I have fought fish with it, sure, it's nice but there is something special about fishing with an antique.

Downrigger fishing??? Come on,,, the reel makes so little a difference, save your money for fly reels or river fishing ! Buying expensive reels for a down rigger is similar to the 5 engine penis show boats some of the American boats at Haulover in Florida
This is an incorrect opinion. Yes, that can happen when it's this wrong. You need to go sit in the corner. And Seth, shame on you for encouraging this bad behavior ;)

Daiwa reels , shimano reels all u need to troll off a wire or braid cable , Fak peetz pfluger or alpha all do the same dam thing , single action reels aren’t a factor in success! On a river however we again have penis show offs with hardy and Milner s! But to be honest level wind reels is where you need to spend money , the pawls and worm gears on abu, s absolute *****, So to all spend ,,,,,,wisely as in this economy u don’t need to impress fellow anglers only ho,s

I haven't asked Islander where they get their aluminum, maybe Kitimat?

Either way, I'll choose the high value Canadian production.

Agreed though that Is rather support a democracy, Western, or S.Korea, Japan, Taiwan over the commies in China. I avoid Chinese product unless absolutely necessary, even then I'd rather go without.
Yeah, I bet that creep catcher thing is made in China. And I agree it’s absolutely necessary. I don’t see anything like that for Amundson reels though…..?

Last edited:
Daiwa reels , shimano reels all u need to troll off a wire or braid cable , Fak peetz pfluger or alpha all do the same dam thing , single action reels aren’t a factor in success! On a river however we again have penis show offs with hardy and Milner s! But to be honest level wind reels is where you need to spend money , the pawls and worm gears on abu, s absolute *****, So to all spend ,,,,,,wisely as in this economy u don’t need to impress fellow anglers only ho,s
posting under the influence? ;)

I ordered from Mike's Reel Repair in Chilliwack through their website - there's a link to the specific product page below. I called them yesterday before I ordered to confirm they had inventory. They had 5 in stock and I bought 4 - greedy, I know - so they are now questionable if you need something right away. Berry's is sold out but they told me they might have some in stock next week when I called them. That was the only other place I talked to before hitting pay dirt at Mike's.

[/QUOTE

Thx for the heads up with info to swap out as I purchased 5 islanders springs and installed and works great . I picked up at Trotac and paid $55 for 5 cheap fix

So... as the title says... almost bought 4 Islanders this year at Winter Harbour... but they wouldn't honour the sale price that was posted on the dock.... so what would you buy if you wanted to get a great reel but didn't want to pay that heft tag?
Islanders are a BC company who make a great reel, but for the average sport fisherman the cost doesn't make a lot of sense unless you've got your credit cards, operating line, house, vehicles, boat paid off and money set aside for your kids education and your retirement - and you've got a high-paying job and are looking for ways to spend your money. The fact is that a reel costing $600-1000+ isn't going to catch more fish or bigger fish or give you greater fishing enjoyment than a reel costing half that much. Fish aren't concerned with what you paid for your gear or the size of your ego. I'd buy a mid-range reel (R3EF, Amundson, Trophy, etc) and use the other $400-500 to fuel up my boat and get out on the water more often to try some new things.

Islanders are a BC company who make a great reel, but for the average sport fisherman the cost doesn't make a lot of sense unless you've got your credit cards, operating line, house, vehicles, boat paid off and money set aside for your kids education and your retirement - and you've got a high-paying job and are looking for ways to spend your money. The fact is that a reel costing $600-1000+ isn't going to catch more fish or bigger fish or give you greater fishing enjoyment than a reel costing half that much. Fish aren't concerned with what you paid for your gear or the size of your ego. I'd buy a mid-range reel (R3EF, Amundson, Trophy, etc) and use the other $400-500 to fuel up my boat and get out on the water more often to try some new things.
A one time purchase of a quality reel is a drop in the bucket compared many of the other costs related to ocean fishing. I'm no means set up for life, but I was happy to put the extra money into the higher quality and delicate feel of the islander. I find it much more enjoyable to fish than the old shimanos, or even my buddies trophys for that matter. I respectfully disagree with what you've just said.

A one time purchase of a quality reel is a drop in the bucket compared many of the other costs related to ocean fishing. I'm no means set up for life, but I was happy to put the extra money into the higher quality and delicate feel of the islander. I find it much more enjoyable to fish than the old shimanos, or even my buddies trophys for that matter. I respectfully disagree with what you've just said.
I was comparing an $800 Islander with a $400 mid-range reel (R3EF, Amundson, Trophy, etc) and not the $150 Shimanos you refer to. But you should note that those $150 Shimano GTs are highly effective and durable reels that have been around for a long time and are still sold today. I've fished MR2's, MR3's and TR3's and can afford to buy them - it just seems like a waste of money. Like owning a $26K Rolex watch - looks great on your wrist and impresses some people - but it doesn't tell the time any better.

I was comparing an $800 Islander with a $400 mid-range reel (R3EF, Amundson, Trophy, etc) and not the $150 Shimanos you refer to. But you should note that those $150 Shimano GTs are highly effective and durable reels that have been around for a long time and are still sold today. I've fished MR2's, MR3's and TR3's and can afford to buy them - it just seems like a waste of money. Like owning a $26K Rolex watch - looks great on your wrist and impresses some people - but it doesn't tell the time any better.
Yes, as I mentioned, even my buddies Trophys. I don't like them as much. You're also talking about a $400 difference, not a $25000 in your Rolex example. And there's a noticeable difference in quality from the Islander to the Trophy, so not quite the same. The same goes for the Rolex actually lol. They're actually better time keepers than another non-digital watch. They can also be made with gold and diamonds which also makes them worth more lol. This argument is kind of silly to be honest. To each their own. The OP clearly stated he didn't want to spend the money on the Islander.

I upgraded a few months ago from the nosebleed section (Shimano GT's) to the TrophyXL reels, have fished them 7-8 times now and I love them. They definitely need the spring swapped-out to the Islander springs, the factory drag sweet spot is pretty bad but they fish great now. Having said that, I still have never had the pleasure of handling an Islander... one day...

Back