If I don't want to pay the price for an Islander..... what would you buy?

I just finally updated the ol Shimano 4000GT’s… I got 2 Thophy XL Titan2 can’t wait to try them out. Harbour Chandler has them on sale for $350 (regular $420) but reading this feed I think I’m gonna grab some Islander drag springs.

Just watching old Gary Cooper show. Lodge on the west coast. They caught some nice fish using Shimano 4000, no one was complaining about the reels .
For sure, mine gave me like 7-8 good seasons but they earned a well deserved retirement. Well, a demotion to being rod #3 & 4 anyways. Have them paired up with 9’6” Shimano TDR’s which also get the demotion.

I got Fenwick HMX 10’6” to go with my new reels. Can’t wait to get them bent this weekend.

I have 2 Trophy reels from about 14 years ago. They're still lightly used, 1 or 2 seasons because I was out of province since 2010...

Can I use Islander springs on these?

I plan to fork out for Islanders eventually, once I find my new ride, but I liked these Trophies before and will keep them, upgrades from Daiwas at the time, if I can make them better as rod 3/4 reels for the cost of a spring, why not?

Islander IMO are a over priced reel IF the line creep wasnt such a issue for that price, ill stick to the trophys

I like supporting local. How often can we support Canadian manufacturing? Islander guys spend money here and maybe support my industry or support other Canadians that do and they make a high quality product.

The difference on reel price is minuscule in terms of what boats, fuel, and all the rest of it in this sport.

Islander IMO are a over priced reel IF the line creep wasnt such a issue for that price, ill stick to the trophys
I have a number of MR3's and previously MR2's and for the most part it is common for them to have creep issues, however, the use of a creep keeper solves that problem and does not otherwise effect their functionality at all. That said, I have one MR'3 which is exceptional and has perfect drag control with no creep at all, even when set to fairly low drag. You do not have to clamp down the drag to the point it is not really usable, as you do with a Shimano GT4000 that has warn out drag washers. I have no idea what is different about this particular MR3. Perhaps ideal micro manufacturing tolerances or ideal clutch face lubrication, but whatever it is, it is perfect. The only problem is that I am a bit afraid to take it a part to clean it and lube the clutch face in case that changes something and turns it into a more typical MR3, but at some point I will have to.

Last edited:
I like supporting local. How often can we support Canadian manufacturing?
Oh trust me so do I all the way, but many many years ago had to get new bearing and "serviced" to the tune of over 200 bucks . I was like ok done sold them went to throphys and "cutomozed" them so there is ZERO backlash and ZERO line creep and last set lasted 15 years so Im doing ok!!! 2 for the price of 1 islander. so after 15 years back then they were $400.00 for the set...that worked out to $26.66 for 2 the set per year thats a GREAT return on my profit margin , im not rich like you guys who can afford that kinda gear... LOL LOL

I just finally updated the ol Shimano 4000GT’s… I got 2 Thophy XL Titan2 can’t wait to try them out. Harbour Chandler has them on sale for $350 (regular $420) but reading this feed I think I’m gonna grab some Islander drag springs.
I got Pacific Angler to swap the springs on my Trophies and it made everything 10 times better! They're great reels for the money but I still relegated them as backups after I bought a pair of TMX5s.

I don't see the point in running 1000 dollar reels and 500-1000 dollar rods for daily fishing charters. It's gonna suck loosing one overboard and or a client breaking one. I can see if your a finesse guy gear junkie type. I get it. Have at it. I recently handled a TR3 to compare with the TMX5 on weight, material thickness etc. Absolutely they have a nice feel, nice build quality. However I can't see how they would hold up better getting beaten up on a daily basis. Not worth the money. Admunson has a great customer care and they are local, even though I'm sure the machining is done overseas. Whatever.

We fished the trophys for years, I switch to the TMX5 because of the larger Arbour. Way better when you fish deep. Honestly I wish they would size the reel up once more notch.

I have one of those stainless Peetz mooching reels. The size is perfect. Much wider spool then the TMX5 and the islander and just a little bit bigger diameter. If only they made that reel with a carbon disc drag

My 2c

Last edited:
Oh trust me so do I all the way, but many many years ago had to get new bearing and "serviced" to the tune of over 200 bucks . I was like ok done sold them went to throphys and "cutomozed" them so there is ZERO backlash and ZERO line creep and last set lasted 15 years so Im doing ok!!! 2 for the price of 1 islander. so after 15 years back then they were $400.00 for the set...that worked out to $26.66 for 2 the set per year thats a GREAT return on my profit margin , im not rich like you guys who can afford that kinda gear... LOL LOL
I'm not judging and I'm still not rich, just not as broke.

I had/have the Trophies too, one my uncle won in a derby and gave me, one I bought. I was really broke those days though and just trying to manage to fish somehow.

But I recognise that there's value to me in supporting Canadian manufacturing and it fits with my personal principles. That's all I'm saying.

Just tounge and cheek no harm ALL good my man I too can well afford it but dont see the value in it.... I also rate things on how many times I use it.. if im only using it a handfull times then cost over warrant of use comes into effect.
For example hunting gear I use the cheapest cabalas waterproof i can find. I do quite well hunting on my 149.00 gear ive had for 10 plus years spending 2 grand on sitka or kui im sorry NO!!!!!! animals dont give a sh*! either do fish!!!only one im impressing is me and judge me as a sportsman!!
Remember when we had peetz reels and 3 types of teaser heads, ABE&Al flasher or PAL dodger the old boys got alot more fish then us!!!

Dont knock guys for using them they work but way better option IMO

I had/have the Trophies too, one my uncle won in a derby and gave me, one I bought. I was really broke those days though and just trying to manage to fish somehow.

But I recognise that there's value to me in supporting Canadian manufacturing and it fits with my personal principles. That's all I'm saying.
Where is trophy manufacturing?

TMX5's are made for Canada users/market and the owner is Vancouver based so the tackle sold by Amundson is for us, so you are supporting a Canadian company .....islander does not make there raw alloy bar stock its prob USA based ??????so brought in there machining is done in house and there anodizing sent out ???? correct me if i am wrong ....

I haven't asked Islander where they get their aluminum, maybe Kitimat?

Either way, I'll choose the high value Canadian production.

Agreed though that Is rather support a democracy, Western, or S.Korea, Japan, Taiwan over the commies in China. I avoid Chinese product unless absolutely necessary, even then I'd rather go without.

Back