If B.C. banned treble hooks and barbed singles....

Dan

If B.C. banned the use and sale of ALL treble hooks and ALL barbed singles in fresh and saltwater....
...stores can only sell single barbless hooks, etc...

...Would you still go fishing ?

I would definitely still fish but, can't really see either of those hook types being banned outright. It would certainly separate the good fishermen from the not so good, but as well as with every other fishing law, some people will just go ahead and still use them anyways regardless of legality...

Last edited by a moderator:
yes i would still fish as it would change my fishery very little.I do find a Treble hook important for put and take fisherys .

They work OK south of the border.

ry%3D400

In fact, back in the late 1970's when I was learning mooching Port Angeles style, the "highliners of mooching" pinched the barbs on their Mustad 92553 hooks. Claimed it gave better penetration and hook ups. I started doing this and when I had the fish in the boat, I could see the hooks were buried up to the snell in the Chinook's mouth. I never had any problems with fish coming unhooked.

manko 22 thats the hook they want changed ,for elitests who find pride might return to river.it's a blood sport take your limit big /small and go to the dock ,i don't enjoy C&R fishery so that would keep me from going fishing.offset the hook and it flutters a bit inside the army truck.

Kind of a stupid question-like to fish or not to fish? We adapt-nobody went away when the meatline was dropped-drive people away??? If you want to do that-ban the down rigger or limit hp on boats to say 10-but what a disaster to the economy that would be?? Anyone want an Orca --cheap??LOL

Anyone want an Orca --cheap??LOL

First dibs here! I'd jump all over that. Wouldn't change my fishery much since that is what I use 90% of the time anyway and my freezer is in good shape. Bad technique will lose you fish with no barbs, so don't use bad techniques and you will still catch lots, easy.

Wouldn't stop me from fishing no,, but I would expect to put a few more hrs out there in order to get what I want for the freezer.

But all of it wouldn't surprise me one bit,, even the horse power change,, it will all come eventually. The BANNED crowd will just get on it and go until they get their way. They are doing it all over our society and winning,, and we are letting them so why would any of this come as a surprise when it happens. At what point do we say enough is enough,, when it steps on your toes ?? They are banning all sorts of things now, just because it hasn't happened to what you enjoy doesn't mean it won't eventually get there..

If B.C. banned the use and sale of ALL treble hooks and ALL barbed singles in fresh and saltwater....
...stores can only sell single barbless hooks, etc...

Just order them on line and fish away....
J.K. :p

If they banned all trebles and barbed singles...it wouldn't bother me in the slightest as far as fishing on the chuck.

I don't do rivers..........lake fishing I might have to change up my game. But it still wouldn't bother me.

manko 22 thats the hook they want changed ,for elitests who find pride might return to river.it's a blood sport take your limit big /small and go to the dock ,i don't enjoy C&R fishery so that would keep me from going fishing.offset the hook and it flutters a bit inside the army truck.

Required in Washington in order to release native chinook which are not legal now. We may only retain fin clipper fish so if the adipose is there we are required by law to release. Bummer but that is what it is. Also required for releasing under szie fish, so we are stuck with barbless the year round.

I pretty much fish that way now. I think banning commercial net fishing would have a bigger impact.

I won't continue the fish w-rs .i will try to to use a smaller hook ,but if it takes your fish to put my fish on the table at a put and take fishery then so be it ,i will try to use smaller hook ,more and more as others around us ask us to change.i just ask you don't take basic tools like hooks of the market

I don't want to get in a huge debate about whether released fish live or die, but I kinda sit on the side of the fence that some days I just want my 4 fish for the smoker or freezer and bbq and then get off the water to work on projects around the farm. I very rarely am able to dedicate an entire day to fishing, so do like to make the most of it while i'm out there. I realize technique is everything and I'd like to think i've got pretty good chinook technique. On single barbless spoons we're batting 1000 for fish hooked and in the boat this year, but for the smaller guys like pinks and sockeye we've got some pretty abysmal stats. I bet we're only getting 1 in 5 pinks or sockeye in the boat that we hook into. I do run a treble in my hootchies sometimes with much greater success rates. There are days where it's fun and losing some fish means you get to spend 2 hours on the water before your limits instead of 25 minutes. Long story short, I'd rather catch my 4 pinks and go home than rip the lower jaws off of 15 fish while trying to get them.

All my freshwater i run barbless anyways, i'd hope that manufacturers would stop making treble lures if bc banned them simply cause i don't want to spend the time changing over every single new lure i buy. Like blue fox, they used to sell with the single hook standard, now it seems like all their spinners come with the treble attached. What the heck is up with that?

I love fishing and I do follow the rules; so if they change it, so will I.

i stoped at many of the rivers bridges vi isle an found others viewing salmon with festering wounds in there mouth area .do these spawning fish give a kissing like fungus to other fish?just sain if we need super ranched fish to our rivers.and how do the wild brood survive? fish wars my friend been going on since before i was born.nice to meet you.think glen c was ousted for a blockade or somthing off discovery pasage ,or it could bee fast cat .we will work with you south of the boader to understand fish war.

Back