Ideas on Quad

dohboy

looking at getting my first quad, lots to choose from, so what is good what isnt soo good

looking atleast a 500 or bigger, as i am about wolfys size or bigger

so any pros or cons , things to look out for etc....
tks in advance

That is like asking someone which truck to buy <grin>.....I have a Grizzly 700 and love it. Really like the Yamaha products. I have had Kawi's and ridden lots of Honda's and they are fine. Kawi parts (probably like most) are stupid expensive. From friends that have Polaris, they indicate they break down lots, but it probably depends how hard you ride. Definately do NOT buy any quad without power steering. Also, I definately like indipendant suspension over a read solid axle. The boots on the indipendant axles need to be replaced now and again, but AFAIK all quads come with front independant suspension, so you have to maintain the fronts anyway, and with the rear you get a much nicer ride.

I am not sure how big Wolf is but I am 235 and my old Yammy 350 Big bear still gets the job done and then some. It has hauled a ton of moose, deer, elk and other critters and stuff and still keeps running. It is not a street rocket, but is is light enough and nimble enough to get the job done.

At work we have Yamaha, Honda and Polaris. The Yamaha's and Honda's will not die, they just keep going and going, 2000+ k on them and not treated by angels (400 Bruins and 450 Hondas). But both Polaris have spent more time in the shop for leaks and electrical then they have in the bush....and they have less than 200 km on them...

Good luck on your search.

Cheers

SS

well sitka i got a few pounds on you, and plan on carrying a few things on the quad that is why i was thinking more power, not the need for speed that is for sure

i have been hearing lots of negative about the polaris, know a few that swear by it, but more dont

i have been leaning toward the yamaha, i like the outlander max, but my pocket book says no wayyyy

tks for responses so far

I'm sure some of the guys on here won't agree with me, but I had a 650 Arctic Cat V-twin that ruled. I used it in the bush and at work, and my crews used it to plough snow, a LOT of snow, from our job-sites (not the best people to have run anything let alone my quad.) Only two issues in two years and around 1000 km. My kid cracked one of the rear wheel flares blasting past a tree that was closer than he thought, and an electrical short caused by the aftermarket winch. The thing was way more quad for the money than the other brands, and it was bullet proof. I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

I have a 750 Suzuki, a 660 Yamaha and an 800 Polaris at work. We can`t seem to kill the Yamaha (and it seems to have more power than the other two, even giving up 100 - 150 cc), the Suzuki is almost brand new but takes a beating well. The Polaris is a shop queen, seems to break every time we ride it. The 4x4 was causing the main fuse to blow, the ball joints wore out in less than a year, the exhaust broke at the the muffler, and just today the brake decided to come back to the handle bar and do nothing.

I have a Yamaha Kodiak 400. I know it's smaller than what you're looking for, but it has lots of power for me, and plows snow extremely well. My brother in law had no problem hauling out moose and elk on it up north. Don't discount the smaller sized quads. I can go well over 100km on a tank of fuel and is easy to manhandle as well.

I have a 700 Grizzly and love it, it is a little higher than the smaller quads. Buddy has a 450 Kodiak and it is a good machine, the only draw back when the two of us hunt together is he can cruise all day at between 10 and 15 k and the Griz seems to hunt in that range it has plenty of power and handles well. They also make a 550 new last year, it is on the same frame as the 700 just a few less horses.
What ever you decide get the power steering and as said before the rear independant suspension is a must.

Wolfie size LMAO.
I'm shrinking away both you guys are bigger now.
Get the new boat first Sean you can store it at my place.......

Gave up on quads, I've owned a 2000 500 Polaris, no troubles, a 2004 750, Lots of troubles, bought a used 2001 660 Griz., small troubles, now I have a 2010 Artic Cat 1000 Prowler, Cab,Heater,Windshield and a Easy Rider Rifle Rack!

Only quad to get is a can am renegade 800xxc. Fastest lightest and unreal to ride and not a tank like most 4x4 quads and very very stable. I've rode just about everything and nothing even compares as far as I am concerned. Not the greatest company but one hell of a quad and know a ton of other guys with them and nobody has had any major issues mechanically in the 3 years that the X models have been out.

2ND what adrianna says I have the 450 kodiak as long as you "MAINTAIN" them and look after them they run forever change the oils plugs etc. more than enough power as i dont need to go 100km an hour.
I use it for hunting the the odd bit of trail riding one thing to consider with a big 700 and above yes you get fancy things but in trails we go on they sometimes have trouble manuvering in tight spots back up shift,back up then good to go. The 450 vrooom right on thru and it carrys loads of stuff especially my arse LOL LOL
good luck bud. stick to the top brands and get it looked over by a mechanic he can tell you if its been rolled.

Wolf

tks for replies, i am taking in alot of info lately , but have another 7days of work to go before i even start looking for real, just trying to sort out some ideas
and dan i wont be buying a boat till next yr at least, and as much as i trust u i dont think i will leave it in your driveway

i might have to reconsider the 450's , gives me more options for sure

:cool:Take a can am outlander for a ride. You get a lot more for your money and a 3 year warranty over the 6 month warranty from all the others. The 500 outlander has more then enough power to earn your respect! Very well built machines and the ride is like a town car compared to the honda. They have full independent front and rear suspension, 4x4 on the fly, and you can get 8+ hours of hard riding for $12.00 gas. Huge clearance too
Also they come loaded with extras that the Honda and others do not
Hand guards
Warn 3000 lbs winch
Alloy wheels
Ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back