Ice - off

X

xmikexally

The girlfriend and I hit Stake Lake last Sunday, and there was no action what-so-ever other than my dog wanting to go over-board. Not one hit. It's supposed to be the same elevation as Knouff, and guys were catching 2-pounders out there. If the lake isn't turning over, and the ice is just off for a week, isn't the fishing typically supposed to be pretty good? I was dragging a leach and she had a flat-fish (leach) on. Would the fish have been right on the bottom or what? We tried all depths and a couple different lures. Now, I'm sure if we hit Knouff, it would probably be our luck to not get a hit again after hearing other guys with luck out there. Any takers on what would be going on when I figure the bite should be on after ice-off?

Thanks.

maybe the lake was turning over...what was the water clarity like?....also fishing shallow close to shore with shrimp patterns might have proved sucessful...

I've always understood that when you fish "true" ice-off, meaning the week the ice melts; that the fish are in the top few feet in an effort to get fresh oxygen.

If you were dragging the bottom before the lake had a chance to turn, you were fishing in the stale - "oxygen poor" water.

Did you try to fish along shoal or just zig-zag across the lake?
(Now I haven't fished that lake, these are just nuggets I always hear. Not every lake has a good fishable shoal)

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Back