ICBC class 7 road test

Prawn Star

I am looking for info on what the road test for the class 7 (towing trailer over 4600 kg) consists of. I have the book which describes the pre trip inspection but it doesn't actually talk about a "road test".

You sit your in your vehicle with the tester go through the complete pre trip inspection (without a written checklist so make sure you have it well memorized) and then go for a drive with you trailer attached. Left turns, right turns, back up and turn around (make sure you use both mirrors - ask me how I know that one).

Last edited:
just get your class 1. its basically the same test + separate air brake. so easier just to get the full thing.

It’s a Class 3 knowledge test
Class 1 pre trip, minus the air portion. So full vehicle inspection and trailer inspection. On most trailers over 4600, you have to make sure the break away works, as a part of the pre trip. That is, pull the break away out and it should energize the brakes.
Road test was like any regular road test, except you have to bring a trailer loaded to 4600 kg or more. I brought a mentor who had class 1, in case they questioned how I got there when not licensed. On that note, when you’re practicing, you need a licensed mentor. So someone with class 1 or HT endorsement.

It’s a Class 3 knowledge test
Class 1 pre trip, minus the air portion. So full vehicle inspection and trailer inspection. On most trailers over 4600, you have to make sure the break away works, as a part of the pre trip. That is, pull the break away out and it should energize the brakes.
Road test was like any regular road test, except you have to bring a trailer loaded to 4600 kg or more. I brought a mentor who had class 1, in case they questioned how I got there when not licensed. On that note, when you’re practicing, you need a licensed mentor. So someone with class 1 or HT endorsement.
Can you re-send DM. I opened it but can't find it again. thanks

I am also in the process of getting my heavy trailer endorsement. There are a number of practice tests that various driving schools have posted online that are helpful. Unfortunately, the book that ICBC gives you to study for includes content for everything and doesn't really separate what you specifically need to know for the test.
If you have access to a smaller commercial loaded trailer (i.e. bobcat on a trailer), it would likely be much easier than using your fully loaded trailer with boat to complete the test with.

I am also in the process of getting my heavy trailer endorsement. There are a number of practice tests that various driving schools have posted online that are helpful. Unfortunately, the book that ICBC gives you to study for includes content for everything and doesn't really separate what you specifically need to know for the test.
If you have access to a smaller commercial loaded trailer (i.e. bobcat on a trailer), it would likely be much easier than using your fully loaded trailer with boat to complete the test with.
I studied those on line tests and had them aced. I went to Service BC for the written test and failed it. Person told me study the book which I did and got 98%. On line tests not helpful. I'm just trying to find out if what you have to do other than the pre-trip inspection to pass this PIA procedure.

I took my boat to the test. Didn’t have any other option. Was gonna rent a dump trailer and fill it with gravel. They say in the info online, not to bring an oversized load either. But I did anyway, no other inexpensive good options. They didn’t say anything about that or my mentor being there.

One other thing to add. When you pass, you have to go for a driver’s medical, within a certain period of time, or you new endorsement is void. You have to pay the doctor. This has to be done every 5 years, but isn’t concurrent. I got my endorsement at age 49 and had to re so it this year, when I turned 51. I think it’s 46, 51, 56 and so on until a certain age, then annual. I phoned them to say what gives, after 2 years. This is how they explained it. Government efficiency at its finest.

One other thing to add. When you pass, you have to go for a driver’s medical, within a certain period of time, or you new endorsement is void. You have to pay the doctor. This has to be done every 5 years, but isn’t concurrent. I got my endorsement at age 49 and had to re so it this year, when I turned 51. I think it’s 46, 51, 56 and so on until a certain age, then annual. I phoned them to say what gives, after 2 years. This is how they explained it. Government efficiency at its finest.
Really? I got the Heavy Trailer Endorsement (07) on my Class 5 licence a number of years ago for towing my 5th Wheel trailer. Written and road test. NO requirement for medical at the time or following.
I think this is the endorsement Prawnstar is getting (?).

Really? I got the Heavy Trailer Endorsement (07) on my Class 5 licence a number of years ago for towing my 5th Wheel trailer. Written and road test. NO requirement for medical at the time or following.
I think this is the endorsement Prawnstar is getting (?).
There’s a house trailer endorsement and a heavy trailer endorsement. I have a heavy trailer endorsement and can only speak to that, and my personal experience.

Yes, house trailer endorsement. I went to Service BC yesterday and the front counter people didn't know but I put a call into the examiner's office and I'm waiting for them to return my call today. Thanks for all the input.

Sorry CS, you’re right. …07 is the House Trailer Endorsement. Heavy Trailer Endorsement— 20 - does have the medical requirement.
PS…you might find this interesting

Last edited:
Sorry CS, you’re right. …07 is the House Trailer Endorsement. Heavy Trailer Endorsement— 20 - does have the medical requirement.
PS…you might find this interesting
Good stuff thanks

Back