I Need Help Too

otter

84 GMC PU
Fuel tank leak. From area of steel support bracket. Rusted out?
Question-to remove tank how do you find room to remove the fuel lines etc mounted on the front top? Lower it partially?
Thanks people,I want to go fishing again.

When I dropped the tank in my Bronco, I lowered it down onto some blocks...

If they can do it at the factory you can do it at home. Loosen the brackets and carefully lower the tank. Always keep in mind that the fumes from gasoline are more explosive than the liquid fuel. I would have a new or replacement used tank ready for installation and s#@$#@ can the old one. In a pinch you could seal it but that will remain the weakpoint. Good luck and if you decide to replace the tank fill it with water before you lower it and you will be safe from explosions.

Since it's an '84, probably no fuel pump in there.... so the water is an idea, but consider the weight.

Definitely get a new tank. Sometimes, you can find replacement tanks that are plastic and/or larger. Keep in mind that if it isn't an OEM tank, your sending unit for your gauge may not read the same as it used to.....

Is it 1/2 or 3/4 ton? Long or Short box?(different tanks) It will be fuel injected in '84.Pump is in the tank. Do you really need both tanks? If it is leaking, it is the tank rusted out.Canadian tire has a deal with Spectra Premium across Canada and they are the cheapest place to buy a new tank. approx 175-200.00$. Be careful w /fittings on top of tank,if you ruin those you will need a new fuel pump/sender assmbly Approx $500.ish. We always pump tank out dry before doing anything. No sparks of any kind!! Remove the drive shaft will allow you to reach in there easier after lowering tank some on a floor jack.
pm me if you have further questions.;)

hi Otter i had an 86 GMC and the same thing happend to me :( and it is not fun . 84 you do NOT have fuel injection or a pump in the tank .getting the fuel lines off is easier than putting them on .as i remember to get them off i just used something long and thin to go between cab and box and pushed the lines of carefully. to get them back on is a differnt storey,as i remember it is a two person job one person from the top for the eyes, and one person underneith with the hands and needle nose pliers, and alot of patience :(:((i know i had less hair after)to help slide the lines on easyier use wd40 or something like that.put the lines on before bolting in place.Take the advice from above and buy a new tank , i used one out of a wrecker and it just didn't last long enough for the hasells of the job , sold truck instead of doing it again .[xx(] GOOD LUCK e-mail me if you want more info . Greg

Back