Hunting: 2010

Hi there guys well got my first LEH for moose in about 7 years so we are off the first of October for Area 5=2.Also would like to find a Deer with any luck.
O and Terry don't give up trying.
Warren.

Well my sons ego is swelling...... his fourth year with a youth season and we come home with his fourth buck, a chunky fork horn that will fill the freezer along with the fraser socs he has harvested....

Mike

quote:Originally posted by leaseman

Well my sons ego is swelling...... his fourth year with a youth season and we come home with his fourth buck, a chunky fork horn that will fill the freezer along with the fraser socs he has harvested....

Mike

Congrats to your son Mike!!!

No need for you to hunt, he seems to be doing all the freezer filling....:D

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

First day out for me yesterday and half hour into my walk I dropped a nice 5x5.:D My biggest buck so far.

Tips

good job Tips:)

I wanted to get out but HAD to clean the chimney, gutters, boil out some bear skulls I had in the freezer, get my gear ready.

Chore list before I leave on Thursday 3 more sleeps:D...if I can sleep

Good work tips did you get it where i normaly run into you.Our opening day was good 3 nice forks bang floped and we seen many more great start to the season nice to see the little buggers coming back.

Thought I'd bump this thing up a few pages.

Any news/results from any of you dudes?

The colours of Autumn warm my bones.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

Im leaving on sat for the north looking for whatever crosses my gun!!!!moose,deer,grouse,tincans etc.
Wolf

My trip was pretty easy this year...

Combined with wife to travel the southern interior en route to Cranbrook for my hunt. En route my buddy got ahold of me that his son had dropped an elk, and so had he. One of the elk was for me as they still had a family moose draw in the area. Pressure is off for the meat already!

I arrive, we decide to do a lot of partying and a little hunting because I got grits, and it just feels right. First evening out pass up a couple of what are now legal mule deer... see some does, thats it.

Up next morning drive to top of mountain where Al has moose draw and start our hike. Get to the lake and do some glassing. Al spots an elk up a clearing - wait, it's not an elk, it's a huge muley, let's get him.

Range finder puts him at just over 700 yards up the hill, gotta cross a big slide to even get to the bottom of that hill. Work our way across and start up the clearing. We have a set of trees between us and him to use for cover. Creep up to them and lift my binocs to the spot he was last spotted. His head is huge and staring at me - he had come towards our stand of trees as we were creeping up! Lower specs, poke Al and we both look together. He's gone. Like dissapeared gone.

Can't figure out how he could have gotten past us, must have backtracked into the trees behind him in a split second. We continue on. I go low and Al goes high. All of a sudden I hear hoofs coming, so jump up and look. Three bucks coming down from Al, 2 four points and a three, but not the guy we were after so we let them go. The discussion about packing a deer down from here had led to the conclusion - not unless he's a trophy!

Keep poking around, but no sign of the big guy and its getting to be about 4:30. Time to start back down the mountain to the truck. We get down, have a cold beer and chit chat about what happened, how beautiful the area was, see some muley does come out of the trees and decide to take the truck a bit lower down the hill and do some glassing.

We drive about 3 minutes down the road and a three point bull moose jumps out of the trees in front of us followed by a calf and cow. He goes about 30 feet and jumps back down into the thick stuff. Cow and calf stay on road and keep truckin. Truck stops instantly.

Al grabs bow, crouches down and starts up the dirt road. Gets to where the moose left the road, starts into bush and stops dead. There is the moose, standing broadside 20 yards away. Zip pow! Grunts, turns tail and starts crashing through bush. Crashing stops suddenly after a couple of seconds.

Arrow was in boiler room! He shouts. So we wait and wait and wait... about 30 mins was all we could handle and then headed in to find him. Blood trail clear, broken branches for about 30 yards and there he is, deader than a doornail!

So he's about 45 yards in total into the really thick crap, here we go...

Bleed him, gut him out, flip onto back and tie legs open to help cool. Turns out arrow had penatrated both lungs and heart. Race to town to get quad and another buddy for the extraction. See some more mule deer and a few cow elk on way down. Extraction took a lot of winching, 2 snach blocks, a chainsaw, 300 ft of rope and some creativity, but really no problem. Back to town.

Next day was a sleeper inner and then a big party night, had a riot and met some fun new folks.

Several beers consumed, moose skinned, quartered and into Als meat cooler by 2am.

Deep freeze is full between that and the seasons saltwater treasures, don't even have room for prawns and that season is upon me!![8D]

Good luck out there!

Gimee the gaff!!!

quote:Originally posted by Osama Bin Hopper

Deep freeze is full between that and the seasons saltwater treasures, don't even have room for prawns and that season is upon me!![8D]
WELL........ If you need somewhere to store some prawns I could shoot you my address [:p]

Me too!

Way to go Osama. Sounds like you had a blast.
I may have to get by just reading stories like yours this year.
Maybe squeak an Island hunt or two if I'm lucky.

I love the E.K., been hunting Elk near Fairmont Hot Springs/Canal Flats area for the last 5yrs (yet to shoot my first). Incredibly beautiful place with the Rocky's & the Purcell's running north/south on either side of the Columbia as far as the eye can see.

Lot's a bears in the EK.

Thats a beautiful bull!!!!! anything that big goes down for sure good job and congrats thats like getting a tyee your first time out salmon fishing now its going to be hard to top it you have set the bar high!!!!!:D:D

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Good luck on your trip Wolf!

Get home safe.

Got back from moose camp about a week ago.. It was another successful year for us,, almost a little to successful,, nah.. I say almost to successful because the hunting ended a little early..It was just my oldest Son and myself this year.

We got to our camp site around 11:00 a:m Friday morning and had camp all set up complete with wood and water by 2:30 p:m. After a light bite to eat we got our gear together and decided to head out for a little scout around some of our close by calling spots. We left camp about 4:30 and were down the line about 2 miles when we came over a rise and yup you guessed it a young bull. We stopped and glassed him over but would you believe it we let him walk.. Now this is the first time in 30 years of moose hunting I have let a bull walk when we had a tag in the pocket. But it was 5 min into our hunt and he was kind of a skinny looking little bugger. Jesse and I weren't to sure about ourselves on that decision but felt confident we would be all right,, we had a week to hunt. So on the trail we go. We stopped at a few spots along the way and checked out the sign all looked good with good sign of a few bulls in the area.

About 6:00 p:m we rolled onto a lease we call at frequently and stopped for an evening call. We gave it about 10 min to settle down and really weren't that serous. Kind of talked a bit and rustled around in the quad boxes. Anyways Jesse gives one call. Then we chat a bit more very quite of course. 15 min pass and Jesse gives it another call. Soon as He is done his sequence we hear a stick brake,, we listen then another this time it is clear we have action. 5 sec later we caught a horn and a bull through the trees but he is coming on the down wind side about 150 yards away. It stops in some thick cover just before stepping out on the line and I tell Jesse he winded us and is going to scram. Nope about 15 sec and out he comes,,, broad side about 150 yrds.. We give him a quick look over a we both know he is a decent bull for us and Jesse lets him have it with the .280.. The bull lunges and scrambles into the bush.. We know he is hit good. Couple high fives and we go check him out,, yup there he is about 20 feet off the line down..

We were both very happy with the bull but at the same time a little disappointed because we knew our hunt was over the first day. We had so many plans for the week but they were over.. We were both hoping for a bigger animal this year and I know a guy may never kill a hog if you shoot the first moose you see but for us when it comes to moose hunting the meat is our number one priority and I have spent many a day out there and come home with nothing. We both know this so were happy with our decision.

We spent another 3 days in camp just camping and hanging out and letting the meat hang and cure and making plans for next year. We did notice quite a few wolf tracks this year and we set up 2 baits with the guts and hide and what not but unfortunately had no hits..

All in all another great year in moose camp..
IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

Back