How would you rate your Spring fishing this year?

sawtooth

Just wondering how others would rate their Spring fishing this year? Were the fish numbers about average in your favorite locations or were they better or worse. I didn't get out as much as I would have liked this year, but when I did the fish were tougher to come by then most years. How was it for the rest of you?

lotsa lil ones... not allotta big ones,, seemed like this for a lotta fishers in bamland

Terrible in van compared to my vic sooke past years LOL Damn I wanna come back to the rock

June was great in bamfield but seemed slower in july aug. central coast was a little slow in August. Rivers inlet look to have had a good year.

Damn I wanna come back to the rock

Sorry-Were-Full.jpg

:D

I would say good out here. Not big fish but decent numbers

3 trips to Ukee and one to Tofino. Slow days were slower than normal, days with lots of action were still fun, less fish over 20 lbs, but still pretty good. Only one over 20 on a big Pilchard spoon this year. I saw a school of pilchards on a calm day between Ukee and South Bank in deep water and kept going, should have tried it. Halibut were easy but small.

Victoria was great for springs when they were around, nothing over 25 pounds but usually get 1-3 around 8-10lbs, got skunked 4 times out of probably 20-25 trips. Best was an 11 fish to the boat morning

Good offshore Esperanza. Larger than last year.
A few good days at Ferrer. 55 hali off Tatchu fishing for Springs Well off bottom.Fun times .
BIG spoons killed as per usual.

North Shore HG was definitely very very slow as compared to usual! 6 seasons on that shore and this was by far the slowest! Not bad in caparison to what has been posted, but not what we are used to! Langara and west coast HG were both good with for most of the season. Mostly the fish were smaller than usual, but periods had some amazing trophy fishing, and actually some of the best in years! Weighted rods were killing riggers....

Good for numbers bad for size around sooke. American hatcheries made my season. I did quite a bit better last year.

Fair fishing off ucluelet/bamfield this year. Lots of small springs (Biggest for us was a 18), but good times still had. Nanaimo/thrasher seemed to have a good year, may and june had some really good fishing. lets hope next year brings some bigger springs!

First trip offshore ukee to be skunked. 42lb halibut and a ling saved that day. Other trips produced small 6-10lbs. Largest fish this year was only 17 or 18lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winter Harbour was an average year-some over 30, Nootka was one of the poorest years in the 15 I've fished there-reasonable size but slooow-Bamfield was excellent in June for US hatchery jobs to 20 ibs-seemed poor to me inside after that period although it.s not my main stomping ground. So overall -what I expected-2008 was bad so I wasn't surprized-east VI seemed better than usual both in size and quantity-overall below average.

Good fishing in July in Nootka decent size fish, SLOW in bamfield this year still managed a 26, other than that not a bad year but definitely smaller fish compare to previous years.

I've never really enjoyed lights-out fishing---I like to work hard for a few nice things so this past season was just about right for me. Uke/Bamfield in July was a challenge with the size thing but I always struck pay dirt right when I needed to and I always went back to the dock with the Full Monty.

Same with Central Coast --- I missed the good stuff by showing up late (mid-August), but there was just enough still around to leave me with some really good memories. A few tyees were the icing on the cake, though in my dreams they were double that size.

"I've never really enjoyed lights-out fishing---I like to work hard for a few nice things" - sharphooks .... seriously?! I think you need to check into a psych clinic! haha obviously can't be lights out every day!....but come on!!! when its hot!? you have to enjoy it just little....?

I found that fishing both Nanaimo and Ukee I had to fish harder than last year for my fish. Although it was harder work and I did not land as many chinook in Nanaimo waters the size was good. Ukee however did not produce as many big fish as the last 2 years and no tyees for my boat. The largest Ukee fish for my boat this year was a 27# white that fought like crazy. As others have reported lots of smalls which should be a good indicator for next year one would hope.

h.e.h.

My very few trips to Bamfield produced decent numbers, but small average and 16 lbs was the biggest. Fished one evening in Nanaimo and landed my biggest fish of the year. So far my standby for stocking up my freezer (Qualicums) has been non-existent.

Back