How to paint bottom paint when on trailer?

dance a jig

I am looking to repaint ablative bottom paint on my trailer boat, and wondered if there is a method where one successfully 1) jacks up boat while on trailer, 2) puts supports or boat stands in place, 3) paints bottom and let dry, 4) lower back onto trailer from stands. I would prefer to get boat sufficiently high above trailer bunks that I have room to paint well plus have dropcloth to prevent spills on trailer and concrete floor. I suspect will be doing this every couple of years for some time, so an investment in boat stands would be ok, as with a better floor jack.

your advice on this would be appreciated. Thank you. DAJ

I drive my trailer onto a tarp. Jack it up at the keel and block it up off the keel and bunks with short pieces of 4x4 and 2x4 so a roller fits between the hull and the bunks. Lay poly strips over the bunks and tape. Paint. When dry, move blocks and touch up those spots. Yes, it's a challenge working around the trailer frame but safe and relatively easy. No need to pull the boat off the trailer.

i go side to side.. bottle jack one side up. place a landscape tie or block across the bunk and let the boat down, this gives enough space for a roller.

thank you Foxsea and trophywife for good advice on this. DAJ

Back