How to Coho close to shore?

Northdogboy

So I'm a kayak fishing guy, and Iv figured out how to find and hunt Chinook salmon. But I'm headed up to Oyster river next weekend and what to know the best way to hunt coho any and all info welcome thanks.

i would find out what terminal fisheries have coho and start there. the oyster doesn’t have a real good coho run but Black Creek does. look for jumpers along the beach; in front of those new fancy houses south of saratoga beach.
be prepared to dislocate your shoulders casting. these coho in particular have terrible lockjaw.

they’re kinda off feeding at that point; try the strategy of pissing them off instead to prompt a instinct bite? haven’t targeted them in ages but i would try rapala blue fox type spinners and slow wobbly croc type spoons

Blue fox spinners work well in chartreuse, green and rocket red. Buzz bombs cast out and brought in with a steady retrieve work well also. Twitching marabou jigs and a herring under a float can also produce in these areas.

So I'm a kayak fishing guy, and Iv figured out how to find and hunt Chinook salmon. But I'm headed up to Oyster river next weekend and what to know the best way to hunt coho any and all info welcome thanks.
See you there: I’m going to the same Kayak fishing derby.

Buzz bombs are terrible lures to use in this shallow water fishery. You might as well just bend over and chuck rocks on their heads as that is the effect that buzz bombs have on the fish when schooled up in the shallows like that. Spinners and spoons such as crocodiles are much better options.

The way I describe coho fishing /hunting near shore is called ambush fishing.Requires a keen eye for direction of jumpers,whatch for V formations on the water and get ahead of the fish with your lure or fly.There will be chinooks in the schools.Finding the right fishery to keep one or two, Comox harbour would be a good choice.Green /chartruse for coho/chinook ,blue for early coho arrivals ,pink for later arrivals .go smaller lures spinners and flys as they start to disappear up the river.good luck and remember the No fishing around the estuarys.oyster has a volenteer hatchery ,Black creek has no enhacement and a few years ago a tandom feul truck dumpped its cargo near the headwaters and is prone to drying up and trapping fish to die. good luck FC

Back