How to check if my motor is refurbished or resold?

Lew

Hello guys, I just bought a new 20' boat with a Yamaha F150A motor in Victoria this June. Recently, I found out the motor is made in August, 2013.
The boat was new when I bought it, a 2015 model, but I doubt the motor is a new one. However, I have used it for about 50 hours by now.

I haven't contacted with the dealership regarding this issue yet. Their sales reps were really foxy when selling their stuffs.
If it's an old stock, then the dealership has just made another thousands of extra $ from my purchase...I believe that I can't do anything about it.

Can anyone tell me how to check if it's a refurbished/rebuilt/resold motor?
Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that it likely is a new engine, think about the Timeline: Date of Manufacture: Aug 2013, it was probably shipped to a Distributed around October, then to a dealer in December, the hull manufacturer probably bought the engine in early 2014, had it in storage for a couple of months, built the boat mid 2014(yes 2015 models are often built in 2014) then rigged it up, shipped it to a dealer in early 2015, and you bought it in June.

Sent from a PayPhone

I would be running the serial number on the ID tag on the transom mount first then getting in touch with your selling dealer.

You can pull the hours off the engine, if it was used prior all the hours will show up

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

They sit in inventory it's probably new. Smaller shops don't sell stuff that fast.

Yes, I believe the motor is new, however, I paid the dealership for a 2015 model(both hull and engine), and they installed an old model on it(the hull manufacturer didn't put the engine on).
I had never bought a boat before, so I didn't know much about it at that time. A friend from another marina told me today that the dealership should tell me that, or gave me a better discount on the total price.
Anyway, I don't think I can do anything about it right now.
Thank you guys!

Should say on your bill of sale what year motor is along with serial number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would go talk to them if your concerned,
At very least maybe they can give you some parts and service credits if you had an agreement and they are reputable, I don't think you'll get any cash back

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

Many outboard manufactures don't sell motors by year anymore. They are sold by model that can run for three or four years with no changes. Really doesn't matter the year if you got the current model. If you think the motor had hours on it before you bought it just take it back to the dealer and ask for an engine hours print out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back