How old were you

Rover

I was just wondering how old you were when you got into guiding, I am a young guy looking to possibly do some guiding as a summer job in the next few years,

Thanks for any info

It's never to early. Start now if someone will hire you. Are you a great fisherman? or just learning hoping to be a guide? Lodges always hire dock helpers allowing you to learn the basics of that outfit. If your are a hard core fisherman hold out for the guide job.

Not a guide myself, but the few i know got into it in high school starting out as dock hands
and then working themselves up to a guide position.
The camps were pretty rough back then, not like the relative luxury of todays "fishing resorts"

It's never to early. Start now if someone will hire you. Are you a great fisherman? or just learning hoping to be a guide? Lodges always hire dock helpers allowing you to learn the basics of that outfit. If your are a hard core fisherman hold out for the guide job.

I consider myself wuite a good fisherman, the only places that I would look into are places that I have experience with the waters around the area, tarting out as a dock helper could be a good start ut I would prefer to jump right into the guiding part of it, Ive got all year to work things out so hopefully I can line up something for next summer

The more paper you have the better-get your Marine Radio Operators Certificate/First Aid ASAP-not too expensive and you might be able to pick them up in night school.

Go for Food Safe as well might come in handy as a backup.

The more paper you have the better-get your Marine Radio Operators Certificate/First Aid ASAP-not too expensive and you might be able to pick them up in night school.

Go for Food Safe as well might come in handy as a backup.

ive taken first aid and cpr through school, as well as a upgraded boating license through coast guard, food safe and radio are good suggestions though, thanks

How old are you? Do you have your svop, meds, first aid and radio operators card? If not, you need to work on these. Having boating experience is more important that knowing any one area. Learning an area is relatively easy, but learning the other stuff takes a while.

Never hurts to repeat valid information!

Back