How NOT to land a blue marlin

wild video. I like the view from the tower as the waves are piling over the transom and just soaking the deck. Very cool. Im assuming it was the guide on the leader...seems pretty stupid to bring it to the boat when its still fighting and jumping like that. It was a pretty predictable outcome given the acrobatics of the fish in the last 30 yards.

Cool vid tho, I like seeing the fish bash those Down-Unda's up lol.

Could some please tell me why they have to back up so fast, into the swell, and take on that much water to catch marlin?

Dave

They often do that in catch and release tournament fishing-if the fish is not going to be"in the money"they want to get rid of it quickly and get the spread out again. Looks kind a hard on the boat and guys!!

I couldn't believe he wrapped the leader around his hand right before it jumped! They clearly have done it before but it seems to me with the size of fish and strength of line that he would risk big time injury.

I like the camera that clearly shows a part of a deck chair or something teak nailing the guy in the head as it was tossed over the transom. There have been instances where someone on board was impaled by a fish jumping into the boat. Couldn't image having that bill jabbed into me and then have the fish shaking it violently....makes having a hook in your finger with a thrashing fish seem like a flesh wound in comparison.

Brings new meaning to full contact sport fishing. Amazing, thanks for sharing.

Could some please tell me why they have to back up so fast, into the swell, and take on that much water to catch marlin?

Dave

Cause they are big and fast? I don't know as I have never fished for them. The bonus is it's probably pretty hot out so be sprayed and swamped by the water is refreshing lol. The big boats are designed for this kind of fishing. I am assuming this is pretty normal for bigger Marlin and the one in the video looked pretty big to me!

Here is a great article about a bigger sportsfisher and the design of the boat. Pretty wild stuff for sure seeing a boat that big being able to do this. Designed for "backing down" on em.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/article/g-and-s-boats/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, cool video! Appears pretty stupid to back down that hard on a green fish, and it looks like the one guy was reaching out to try and wrap the leader around his arm to help pull on it?

that was going to be a 'tag and release'. the other guy had the tag pole ready to place a tag on that fish. backing down is done to keep from getting spooled, pretty common technique fishing for trophy fish. looked like some pretty good swells which really added to the water over the transom. the wire man wraps that leader around his arm. if the fish takes off, point your arm and the leader comes right off and the battle is on again. wire men usually don't have to do this twice. looked like a swell helped that fish onboard, a very dangerous situation with any big fish, yikes.

Agreed that backing down is to keep from being spooled...I think the guy at the helm was a bit over enthusiastic on the throttle. Maybe had something to do with how many cameras were rolling and making it way more dramatic than it needed to be. The fish wasn't in any danger of spooling the reel at this point of the fight, unless they only had 50 yards of line on the reel. That fish was way to green to have that close to the boat.

Top comment #2 wins the internet

The real catch was that chair to the head.

And for honourable mention... top comment #1

Only a black marlin would do that, a white marlin on the other hand would live quietly, raise a nice family, and own a dog named scooter

Back