The Provincial Government is proposing to give First Nations a VETO for all activities on Crown Land.

I listen to Minister Ralston today at our AGM as he rambled on about how the NDP are going to save the forest industry in BC and bring it back from the brink. I, and others, asked about how would the new Land Act changes affect BC forests and the industry.

He stated that Minister Nathan Cullen has admitted that his ministry has rolled this out in a bad way and that the consultation process has not been done right. But they are not going to make any changes. Ralston stated that if it wasn't for Covid, this would have been happening a few years ago. He said that this was just an extension on UNDRIP and it is will be done in small increments with the public being involved along the way. he would not answer how it would affect resource extraction in BC.

In other words, get used to it as it will be the new way to manage land in BC!!!

Cheers

SS

Thank ****!

So the proposed changes ment nothing and would effect no one, but people thought they would change things, so we’re not changing it now, but the changes did nothing

Most government thing ever

So the proposed changes ment nothing and would effect no one, but people thought they would change things, so we’re not changing it now, but the changes did nothing

Most government thing ever
Smoke and mirrors,
Almost puked in my coffee awhile ago when cullen said on cknw that "the day after we sign this, the public will still have the same access to fishing, hunting, forest land for leisure" bla bla bla.. technically true but what about the future!!!???

Its interesting to see where it goes, a coworker whose parents have a place on bowen island were worried what would happen when it came time to renew there foreshore lease. Apparently first nations already did an investigation and while it was determined there was never a permanent settlement built on there forsure lease, it was determined it was used as a temporary summer hunting/gathering site.

Apparently the FN are "disgusted" about the decision

It's interesting that in the proposed hunting regulation changes for 2024, there is a few that would open up lots of land that had been closed after fires. My guess is that this would be like saying "look what we have done, open up a bunch of land for hunting" then a month of two later, it would be closed by the FN through the land agreement.

This isn't going away, this just a set back. The law has already been written, it is just being postponed until after the election, which the talking pundits are saying will be an NDP landslide. Then hang on!!!

Cheers

SS

Back