How much would you pay for an Old Stock Green Glow Coyote?

fishin_magician

I have a bud who was talking with a Normark/Luhr Jensen Rep the other day at the show in Abbotsford and they got to talking about the quality of the Coyote Spoons coming from China. Unfortunately, a return to the past with Stainless Steel Mustad hooks and the powder coated green and glow finishes would take a very large order of several thousand pieces....and even then it may be possible without some hoop jumping to make it happen.

I was talking with some fellow guides about the loss of some great finishes when production moved offshore and it got around to a fun question...

How much one would pay for a "new old stock" original Green Glow Coyote in the 4.0 or 5.0 size as they were made in Hood River Oregon ? The bid got up to a rather high price... which I won't disclose just yet.

Similarly, we were talking about selling our most lethal "killer" plug...and the price got up to $250 for a particular Tomic.

So...let's hear it...How much would you pay for an original NOS Luhr Jensen 4.0 Green Glow Coyote?

Most retail stores sold them for $5.99 to $7.99 each when they existed.

I would pay the original price or buy another spoon that likely works just as well. As for a 250$ plug that's nuts? Sure some outfish others but it's more right place right time than "special" lures.

i would buy 3 or 4 chinese spoons and use the $hit out of them and throw them away..
why would you pay big $$$ for a lure that could get taken by a seal, snag , bottom hangup ??

Haha...well...we all have "hot lures" in the tackle box...just as Campbell River Tyee Pool Guides have some very special shovel nose lucky louies....some of which have caught many Tyees.

Ludicrous? Perhaps....

C'mon guys...let's hear it! :)

For the spoon about 50 cents at a garage sale. If they were aware what they were selling and I really wanted it; 5 or 6 bucks. For a new one from a dealer assuming they start making them again about $1.50 over the cost of the Chinese ones.

As for plugs assuming you mean fishable (and not the rare collector ones) the only ones I know of actually being sold for more than $100. are old uncommon ones which were designed to provide lots of action at slow rowing speeds and those high prices usually require that they have a pedigree of being proven tyee killers when previously used by rowers in the Campbell River Tyee Pool.

i'd pay to $10 retail for them if they came back in circulation, but nothing more as said for the plain fact that you could lose it the 2nd you drop it down!

I would pay the original price or buy another spoon that likely works just as well. As for a 250$ plug that's nuts? Sure some outfish others but it's more right place right time than "special" lures.

Couldn't agree more!

I didn't know Campbell River - the "Salmon Farming Capital of the World!" still had Tyee's?

Retail at this point. Gone Fishin' in PA had a bunch of Tiger GG 4" (US made). Bought the peg out.
My best US GG stamp is now in the hands of master craftsmen. Hope it copies well...

For the spoon about 50 cents at a garage sale. If they were aware what they were selling and I really wanted it; 5 or 6 bucks. For a new one from a dealer assuming they start making them again about $1.50 over the cost of the Chinese ones.

As for plugs assuming you mean fishable (and not the rare collector ones) the only ones I know of actually being sold for more than $100. are old uncommon ones which were designed to provide lots of action at slow rowing speeds and those high prices usually require that they have a pedigree of being proven tyee killers when previously used by rowers in the Campbell River Tyee Pool.

NOS Shovel Nose Lucky Louies are selling for $300 plus...depending on the color....

I wouldn't buy the old stock Coyote Green/Glow anymore......I'd buy the Zurtro "Money" instead.

It has built-in U/V...unlike the Coyote.

There are "some" Coyotes U.S. made, that are definitely superior to the Chinese garbage they are peddling now.

But Zurtro and Silver Horde are fast catching upwith ,if not surpassing much of the coyote spoons.
I don't like Zurtro's hooks so I end up changing them out tho'

On a good day you can get a Gibbs spoon that is very effective in Green/Glow.

But it would have to a very good day where you lucked out on the pressing and finish.

I've seen their spoons in packages where it looked like they were cut out with a pair of tin-snips, then bent haphazardly in to shape and and had some paint slopped on. But every once in awhile, if you dig through the packages enough......

Gibbs painted Wonderspoons are crap....the paint comes right off 'em right away.

Back