how do you keep your tackle on board?

I agree about the pigtails. I've used them for years now and they are the best! For those of us living mid-island, they can be purchased at Bucky's.

Good tips guys, here’s a few of mine.

I use hoochies a lot, and I have a ton pre-rigged in different leader lengths. I have hoochies tied anywhere from 20” to 55”. When I want a hoochie in a specific leader length, it drives me crazy when I don’t know how long the lead is when in the tackle box. I have a system that lets me know instantly how long I rigged the leader. I put a different color bead directly in front of the hoochies when I tie it up. I color code with different beads for every five inches of leader length. I use a yellow bead for 30-35 inch leaders, orange 35-40 inch, pink 40-45 inch, green 45-50 inch, blue 50-55 inch. You get the idea, for really short leaders I use glow beads. Sockeye like the mini plankton hoochies with a glow bead at the nose. When I cut a leader down I simply change the color of the bead.

Some things I do to prevent gear rusting:

When releasing fish at the side of the boat, metal pliers tend to chew up the hooks as the fish thrashes around. I use plastic pliers to prevent damaging leaders and the stainless finish on hooks. Hooks soon begin to rust once chewed up. You will still have to use metal pliers sometimes to remove really stubborn imbedded hooks. Not dunking your metal pliers in saltwater all the time helps them last longer too. I also keep a container or small bucket of soapy fresh water on board. When I take off lures I have used in saltwater, I soak them for a while to remove all salt. I remove, and then let them dry before putting them back in Plano box. This helps prevent rust on hooks, swivels, and metal lures. It is also handy for washing up the boat and keeping your hands free of odors.

Here's how my gear is organized.
IMG_0685.jpg
[/img]
IMG_0690.jpg
[/img]

IMG_0687.jpg
[/img]

IMG_0688.jpg
[/img]
IMG_0686.jpg
[/img]
IMG_0689.jpg
[/img]

highliner i have a TB very similar to yours... almsot forces you to be organized lol

Hope this works - thanks for the tips Mr Killer.
img]
tacklebox011.jpg
[/img]
tacklebox003.jpg
[/img]
tacklebox007.jpg

tacklebox002.jpg

Something I have learned about storing hoochies . I found that by putting them in alittle zipplock bag ,helps to keep them soft , otherwise they dry out and go hard .

I have a smaller box with lots of good sockeye gear, not that it gets much use. I got excited after the summer of 06 (when I caught nice socks), and over the winter I bought lots of great mini hoochies and black hooks, and doctored the hoochies, and tied up some great rigs. ...And one day I hope to actually use them. :)

So you think a glow beed </u> helps too, MrBig. Never heard of that. I'll have to find some and give it a try. You mean the glow beed is actually in front of the hoochie, not inside it? Please excuse me if this sounds like a dumb question; I have only ever used beeds to space the hook farther behind the hoochie. Maybe you meant this?

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

I have a smaller box with lots of good sockeye gear, not that it gets much use. I got excited after the summer of 06 (when I caught nice socks), and over the winter I bought lots of great mini hoochies and black hooks, and doctored the hoochies, and tied up some great rigs. ...And one day I hope to actually use them. :)

So you think a glow beed </u> helps too, MrBig. Never heard of that. I'll have to find some and give it a try. You mean the glow beed is actually in front of the hoochie, not inside it? Please excuse me if this sounds like a dumb question; I have only ever used beeds to space the hook farther behind the hoochie. Maybe you meant this?

Hi, Redmonster.

Ya, I meant in front of the hoochie. For Sockeye, when using Mini Plankton hoochies or Michael bait hoochies I add a small glow bead in front. Some of the better Sockeye Michael bait hoochies come with a glow head. I figure it can't hurt to add glow to patterns that don't have a glow head. For Coho using full size hoochies with a short leader I add a Large glow bead in front of the hoochie. Coho really seem to like that also.

I don't know why I did it this summer, but I put a very large white bead in front of a oversize 8" Army truck hoochie. I ran it off the spreader bar for bottom fishing. I don't know if the bead had a damn thing to do with it, but this rig outfished all the others. Caught most of my Halibut, Lingcod, snapper and rockfish on that one rig.

Thanks for bring that to my attention, Big.

I'll be looking for some nice beeds that glow in the dark.;)

I figure the more glow the better especially when fishing deep. I go so far as to add glow sticks to my spreader bar, when bottom fishing. My kid laughed at me when I did this, until I started catching Halibut and he wasn't. We were off to the dollar store to get more glow sticks, once we hit shore.

I dont have a boat and I hate tackle boxes when Im fishing Shoreline or River, no word of a Lie I just de barb everything and stick it into the inside of my jacket, I look like a punk trying to sell lures, but it works for me lol &lt;3

Klink

Back