how do you keep your tackle on board?

nedarb2

do you have a quick snap at the end of every rod and have all your lures tied up for quick changes,
or do you just tie up what you might use the night before and have that ready?
just want ideas,
im wanting to organize/tidy all my stuff up for next year now that my winter downtime/boat work has begun.
any other neat ideas/general tips for anything on the boat?
haha this can be broad :)

Lotsa guys have a system rigged on the side of their canvas on a softtop boat. They put a strip of foam or something on there they just put all their setups in that and put a straw aroun the leader then let them hang. I just have my gear rigged and wrap it up in a straw then throw it on my dash. Ushually only have 4 or 5 rigged up though so anymore and it would be a mess.

Can't remember the name of the post last year but we went through this in depth , you must have read some of it last year nedarb2 as you were on the forum then, check back there it's there somewhere.

AL

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

Can't remember the name of the post last year but we went through this in depth , you must have read some of it last year nedarb2 as you were on the forum then, check back there it's there somewhere.

AL

i did a search but cant find anything, and dont remember the post :(

POOLNOODLE.jpg

old piece of a pool noodle tied to the top.;) Holds the gear better then the dash does in slop

and dont ask why i felt i needed to put a manual rigger in the crab puller bracket. Because i could not tell you

I'm looking , it came up under heading not related to storing gear specifically but had some questions asked then off we went , damned if I can think of the topic it was hidden under , Oh well should make for some interesting browsing though !! :)

AL

I got a piece of foam that displays the top producers. when I go out thats what goes down first. If I stack 2 I'll try something out of the box that is under the seat. I try and keep it as neat as possible.....I hate on the boat "hook ups":D

Had tangled with the herring jig the other day...them little hooks sting pretty good[:eek:)]

cheers
vic

I've got three clear plastic removable boxes in my tackle box. I have all of my set-ups pre-tied and ready to go. I keep rigged teaser heads in one tray, hootchies in another, and spoons in the third. I use twist ties to keep all of the leaders neatly tied up. All of my set-ups are tied to swivels, so I can change them really quickly. I also use a snap clip on the end of my main line (unless I'm jigging, in which case I tie the main line directly to the lure).

I find being oragnized in essential to maximizing the time you spend out there fishing. My fishing buddie's tackle box is the comlete opposite from mine. After use he typically just tosses things back in. His lures are never pre-tied before a trip either. And I'm sure you know who spends more time actually fishing.;)

I learned a neat trick from SeaWolf... went down to Tyee Marine and purchased two flasher holders that each hold 6 flashers. These are very well constructed with heavy clear plastic on one side and a strong mesh on the other. I pretie six or so hootchie type rigs and another six with the best producing coyote"s or what not. The main line is set up with a Barkley Snap for quick set ups which allow you to change frequently with little hassle if what you are using is not producing. I should mention that the leaders are just wrapped around the flashers before they are placed in the flash holders. When I get home all you have to do is hang the holders vertically and hose them down with fresh water. Once dried, you can alter the gear if deemed necessary, roll them up and you are ready for you next trip. Works well for myself and SeaWolf.:) Striper Sniper

I have a tackle box with clear plastic storage boxes that slip in/out and also have another 4 clear storage boxes of tackle that is in the boat. Everything is pre-tied with swivels and pre-sharpened. Storage boxes of teasers, hootchies, squirts, spoons and halibut leaders/gear. Good quality stainless swivel snaps on all rods.

First off don't use quick snaps this is what will happen when you get a big enough fish on,
url]

I had been warned and I lost my second biggest fish of the year right at the boat damn snap just got mangled, so that's the last good fish I had on this year and I'll be thinking about it all winter, the quick snap is the weakest link, use this set up
url]

Bead chain to a universal they are a pain in the butt especially when your hands are cold but they won't break, it's the way to fly.

Here's a picture of my TB and I'd love to see some other peoples set ups, here's mine
url]

I got these leader boards made at John's bedroom barn on Bowen rd in Nanaimo they'll make any size you want and they are cheap they are a high density foam they keep hootchies and teaser heads perfectly and they'd probabaly work on spoons too,
url]
but I use the straws for these leaders,
url]

if you want a good deal on bead chains screaming reel sells 50 packs.

Hey Killer: Thank's for making me feel like a SLOB[B)]. But I appreciate you sharing your sweet tackle sytem;) eman

well I tend to have some obssesive compulsive tendencies and I probably got a little carried away on the tackle this summer, it's sure to get even worse for next summer, but really this is ridiculous because I'm only going to use max two flashers and two lures at a time which means that I have a ton of gear that has never gone down and probably never will.

I like the idea of sharing some photos and appreciate you doing so Mr Killer. How did you attach your photos - I am not great on the computer.

Salmon9
You go to www.photobucket.com start an account then upload your pictures you want to your account, then come back to this site start your post then click on the insert image button on the toolbar in between the img * img click and paste the address of the photo from your photobucket account and paste it in between the two img's where I put that star. That will add the picture to the site good luck.

Over the years I have owned every type of tackle box there is and have narrowed things down to what works FOR ME...

The clear plastic boxes work well for me too Highliner...you can just grab the boxes that suit your targetted species when you are packing to go. I use the Plano #3620 and divide to fit.
Everything is pretied with a barrel swivel and presharpened. The leaders are always a bit long to make them easy to shorten if needs be! Leaders are secured in 3 or 4 finger width loops with pieces of straw.

The idea of a freshwater rinse at home is a great one...perhaps I will try drilling a few drain holes in a Plano 3620 and see how that works!

I put my flashers in a separate Rubbermaid tub and they stack nicely on their sides in there:
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd100197
About $6 per box at that tire store.

Finally, for the termination of my mainline, a few years ago a bunch of my buddies started using PIGTAILS and they ROCK! Strong enough for hali and tyee yet the kids can work them (great for cold fingers too!).
http://www.tyeetackle.com/snaps.html#pigtails
I am always amazed at how hard pigtails are to find! River Sportsman has them but GoneF will look at you as if you are crazy for asking about them!

Later everyone...got some hockey to try to play!

Roo.

You might find Pigtail snaps at a commercial store like Pacific Net and Twine in Parksville.

The only wholesale source I ever found was Inland Wholesalers, a funny place because they sold so little Saltwater gear.

i use the plastic tubs to keep my bulk stuff in but use the small ziplock baggies for stuff i have tied up to use that day , when the chaos hits on the boat its easy to clean up and get re-organized

tackle1.jpg

tackle1b.jpg

tackle2.jpg

tackle3.jpg

The stuff I'm likely to use goes in a slot.

Three sectioned, plastic containers hold extra chovie gear, including pre-tied trebles, on the bottom right of the box.

Using small plastic ziplock bags (from the craft store) to keep things from getting tangled, I'm able to keep dozens of spoons (tied with 40# test and a swivel) in just one plastic container in the bottom left of the box.

In the bottom there's still a bit of room for stuff like knives, sandpaper, spare batteries, a thin green plastic oganizer for parts, and a half a cylinder organizer.

Other stuff like spare reels, line, gps, radio, whatever go on the boat in a small handbag.

It pays to be organized, especially if you don't have much exta space on your boat. ;)

Back